Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #7620 on: October 23, 2017, 06:50:19 PM »
I just started playing Fire Emblem 5. Decided to just play the game in Japanese since I heard the only translation hanging around is really bad (not just the kind that's inaccurate or uses awkward English, but the kind that inserts random internet memes and jokes where they don't belong). Up to Chapter 4x and I'm having way too much fun with the capture and stealing mechanics of the game. One of the things I feel is really missing from the more recent games in the series is inventory and resource management (although that's present somewhat in Conquest), and one way that showed up is how in the GBA games thieves were pure utility and were worth deploying simply for the things they could steal. Being able to capture enemies or steal whatever the unit is capable of carrying is basically that turned to 11. Although in order to satisfy my capturing obsession I might be overusing Dagdar and Eyvel a lot. Decided to feed my status boosters to Dagdar since I'll probably use him long term with all this going on, and I might try to keep whatever scrolls I get on him so he gets an actual level up sometime. Hopefully this won't bite me in the ass because I've heard there's actually cases where players find themselves unable to win the game because of some decision they made early on.

That aside I'm enjoying the creativity in some of the maps so far. Chapter 3 had a pretty unique side objective and Chapter 4 is unique as a whole. The latter did have a bullshit surprise for me near the end but I got through it on my second attempt. Never thought I'd be thanking all the major deities for Leif's Light Brand because I found it largely useless in FE4.

Three things you may want to know: First, don't let Leif leave on an Escape Mission until after everyone else leaves. Second, make sure to try to keep a few Warp staffs on hand for the endgame (but don't be afraid to burn staff charges for certain goals or to make your life easier). Third, any unit not equipped with a Sword/Lance/Axe/Bow/Tome can have an enemy unit just waltz up to them and immediately jack their shit, this works both ways of course. These are really the only major things that can honestly screw you over.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #7621 on: October 23, 2017, 09:43:02 PM »
So I just hit my second ending in Chaos;Child...and I am reminded a lot of Yoshiyuki Tomino's writings all of a sudden.

Spoiler: show
Specifically how he tended to have dark periods in his writing as he suffered through depression. I can't help but feel that the lead writer for the Science Adventure series was going through some similar shit when he wrote this game. Because dear god these endings have been depressing so far. After the first ending, I figured "Oh the character endings will have you break out of the planned events, so they have to be happier!" NOPE. Honestly the one I just got might have been more depressing at the end than the main ending. Which really sucks because I actually liked that character. I suppose I should take solace in the fact that the other character endings are probably just as depressing, so the character (probably) wasn't singled out. Oh well, Steins;Gate 0 had less depressing endings and it was released after Chaos;Child, so I hope that means the writer is in a happier mental place now.

Oh well, I just need to power through and pray the true end is worth it. >.>

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #7622 on: October 24, 2017, 12:43:50 PM »
Three things you may want to know: First, don't let Leif leave on an Escape Mission until after everyone else leaves. Second, make sure to try to keep a few Warp staffs on hand for the endgame (but don't be afraid to burn staff charges for certain goals or to make your life easier). Third, any unit not equipped with a Sword/Lance/Axe/Bow/Tome can have an enemy unit just waltz up to them and immediately jack their shit, this works both ways of course. These are really the only major things that can honestly screw you over.

Immediately jacking an enemy staffbot's stuff is the greatest feeling if you're haunted by memories of those goddamn Physic and status staff mages in the GBA games. I was also briefed on the first point before I started playing, and it seems to be common advice given to new players of the game, but I think it's worth noting that the game does tell you what you need to do in the conversation between Fergus and Leif. I imagine the common translation patch being bad is what causes a lot of grief for people, because the conversation makes it really clear. It's basically something like:

Leif: "What happens if I 'escape' before everyone else?"
Fergus: "Guess it means anyone left behind would get captured."
Leif: "No way I'm doing that. I'm going to wait for everyone else to 'escape' before I 'escape' myself!"

The quotes around escape are actually present in the script too. Speaking of which, I quite like Leif's personality so far, as in he actually has one. It's pretty much the opposite of the typical level-headed lead most Fire Emblem games have, and it's a believable character flaw.

Also didn't play a lot since my last post, I played about 5 minutes of Chapter 4x and immediately got someone killed on the first turn. The game seems to like its beginner's traps, but at least the game had the courtesy to place it literally at the very beginning of the level as opposed to at the end like the last Chapter though.

As a side note, I really, really hate that the Wait command is on the top of the list after you move. I think this is the only FE game that does that and I have to wonder if it's deliberately made that way to trip up players given some of the other things I've run into so far.

Darilon

• Level 5 Spoony Bard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7623 on: October 24, 2017, 03:48:50 PM »
Prey

Having a lot of fun so far. I am currently trapped in the Trauma Centre. Died a lot fighting the two creatures here. Hopefully I can sneak out and come back later. Game really gives me a System Shock vibe.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7624 on: October 25, 2017, 02:08:46 PM »
Well that settles it...

Mesh isn't Arti....

He's Beetlejuice!

haaaaa!!

this was sneaky funny and deserves more props than it got

I feel guilty because I am one of the ungrateful who let it pass without comment, but I really couldn't add anything clever to it to make it any better than it already was.
Suffice to say, I grinned at it. :)

I finished Trails 3 and am now going through the cutscenes of Tales of Xillia 1 as a refresher before starting my next game, Tales of Xillia 2.

I really enjoyed the streamlined structure of Trails 3 a lot.  And it was very generous with its sidestories.  This game offers, not only more backstory on beloved favorites, but nicely fills in a lot of information about some of the ancillary characters that you don't get to see too much of in 1 and 2.

In addition, the game does a fantastic job of making the player feel powerful and rewarding you for taking the time to appropriately equip and customize each character.  All of that, of course, leading up to the most satisfying final boss fight I have had in.... maybe ever.  My strategy worked perfectly, I was in control at almost all times, but still felt like I had to work for it.

The game also knows how to properly reward the player when they accomplish something.  While certain OTHER games like to say "Hey, you took down that crazy-difficult mark!  Here's 700 gil!" Trails 3 almost ALWAYS gives you something truly useful when you beat a particularly tough boss or sidequest.
For example, in one of the optional side stories, the player is tasked with taking part in a one-on-one battle against another character.  The player is meant to lose here, but there is one viable strategy for winning the battle.  If you do manage to win, the game rewards you with a weapon with a STR rating of 1000 (as well as other stat boosts), at a time in the story where the strongest weapon you can hope to have is probably around 600.  Now THAT is how you reward a player.

Suffice to say, I enjoyed myself.  As for more specific stuff that might be spoiler-y:
Spoiler: show
- Renne's backstory was disgusting.  It was a (maybe?) necessary disgust, and that was certainly what the author(s) of that scene was intending, but still... I really don't think I needed that in my life.  The things it made me think about... it's really not anything anyone should ever have to think about.  And yet it's real and people should know it's real.  Blech.

- Alan Richard might be my new favorite in-battle character in the franchise.  I really really enjoyed having him in my party.  And his Sakura Morning Moon was always hilariously fantastic.  Not only did he take out Cassius Bright with it, but when I did it against the final boss on a Critical turn, he did nearly 30k damage, taking out about an entire 1/4 of the boss' health.  With just one hit.  It was so so beautiful.  And his long cheesy monologue during it with the hilarious, cheesy visuals make it all the better.

- That final sub-boss at the very end of The Abyss (the giant Shining Pom and its minions) was funny and unexpected.  It was also extremely difficult.  I wasn't expecting a fight that requires only S-Crafts to win.  There's really nothing else that can be done in that, unless I'm mistaken?  Fortunately, I happened to be fielding a secret weapon: Anelace Elfead!  Petal Dance + 200 CP Piercing Wave = Several dead Shining Poms.  Hilariously, the one Pom that was left after that fled the battle.

- Is giving Kevin a Super Gladiator Belt and spamming Sacrifice Arrow a viable party strategy?  I'm sure someone has done that before.

- The one thing I didn't really do was beat the Nightmare arena or doing any higher levels of the quiz show.  And I have no motivation to bother with those.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 02:41:12 PM by Arvis »
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7625 on: October 25, 2017, 05:47:12 PM »
Playing Borderlands again because sometimes my brain is jelly and I just want to virtually blast blast blast my cares away.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "glad I don't have the bloops"

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7626 on: October 25, 2017, 05:48:28 PM »
At Ryudo's hometown in Grandia II Anniversary Edition. Game crashes occasionally, but it's been generally smooth sailing (have yet to encounter slowdown), in spite of unskippable spell animations slightly marring the pace of combat.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7627 on: October 25, 2017, 09:01:46 PM »

Immediately jacking an enemy staffbot's stuff is the greatest feeling if you're haunted by memories of those goddamn Physic and status staff mages in the GBA games. I was also briefed on the first point before I started playing, and it seems to be common advice given to new players of the game, but I think it's worth noting that the game does tell you what you need to do in the conversation between Fergus and Leif. I imagine the common translation patch being bad is what causes a lot of grief for people, because the conversation makes it really clear. It's basically something like:

Leif: "What happens if I 'escape' before everyone else?"
Fergus: "Guess it means anyone left behind would get captured."
Leif: "No way I'm doing that. I'm going to wait for everyone else to 'escape' before I 'escape' myself!"

The quotes around escape are actually present in the script too. Speaking of which, I quite like Leif's personality so far, as in he actually has one. It's pretty much the opposite of the typical level-headed lead most Fire Emblem games have, and it's a believable character flaw.

I feel that its less to do with the 'translation' and more to do with the fact that most players generally don't read, with the general advice being a matter of just nipping that complaint in the bud.

That being said, the other major reason why that's the general advice given to new players is due to the fact that getting into anything more specific tends to ruin the surprise of a chapter's gimmick, and Thracia is nothing if not chapter gimmicks all the way down (for instance; warning to switch all of your good equipment/stuff you'll want to have on hand for the next couple of chapters to Leif and Lifis by the end of Chapter 3 would ruin the surprise of seeing Lief getting himself captured and the experience of having to slog through a couple of chapters on Leif's Light Sword and a couple of Iron Swords with maybe one vulnerary until you rebuild your forces).

And with that being said, I did forget one other piece of really useful advice. Try to make sure you have a healthy stock of Restore Staffs and Antitoxins as status effects such as Sleep and Poison do not wear off in this game.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7628 on: October 26, 2017, 12:42:05 PM »
I've never played Dragon Quest.

Which would should I start with?

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Darilon

• Level 5 Spoony Bard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7629 on: October 26, 2017, 02:54:56 PM »
I would go for either Dragon Quest 5 or 8. They are both great games but I would probably lean more towards 8 for a first timer. I have a huge soft spot for 7 but I can't say how much of that is nostalgia. 5 is out for DS while 8 is out for PS2 and 3DS.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7630 on: October 26, 2017, 03:03:47 PM »
Is there a particular mindset I should have going into this? I hear the games aren't exactly known for epic stories ala Final Fantasy.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #7631 on: October 26, 2017, 03:11:12 PM »
Up to Chapter 9 of Thracia 776. Just got Dagdar back and it's great to have him wrecking shit again. Funny that they strand him with his useless daughter at the beginning of 8x to show you how ridiculously powerful he is. I'm running into a lot of poison weapons, but it seems like a waste of an inventory slot to remove poison just like the GBA games. Plus it provides a steady unit for staffbots to grind on!

The previous couple chapters for escaping Manster were a really nice challenge, although I do scratch my head at some of the design choices made. The massive shortage of swords (they didn't even provide much in the way of enemies holding swords, barring a shitload of armor knights who are nearly impossible to capture) in multiple chapters where all my characters were sword-locked made me use Asbel a whole lot, because Leif's Light Brand sure was running low. I put all the Crusader scrolls I had on him and by the end of the escape he was like level 15 and capped speed. I would've run out of mage tomes too, had the game not let Lifis tag along and instantly neuter any enemy mages by stealing their tomes.

The head scratching part? Both Lifis and Asbel are from Gaiden chapters, so I can only imagine how terrible it'd be if you had neither, to not just be missing the invaluable magic damage from Asbel but also not have Lifis around to take care of the enemy mages (and double your Vulnerary jacking alongside Lara).

Also had my first run-in with the fatigue mechanic, and naturally everyone in the escape was fatigued except Finn/Safy if you count them. Unless the game throws another multi-chapter arc where it adds up fatigue like that I don't think the mechanic will cause too much trouble, it's pretty lenient from what I can tell. Although I guess low-HP units like Safy might run into it.

As for some of the other mechanics that are new to me- I like how dismounting and indoor/outdoor chapters helps encourage players to not just build a central team of horses and ride your way everywhere, although it does seem to end up making Free Knights and Troubadours way better classes than most since they can always use their primary weapon. Staves being able to miss is pretty awful, but it'd be a lot more tolerable if I could see the fail rate and actually plan around it. Not sure on build having a growth rate, I guess more variation each playthrough is nice, but it was a bit annoying to have Lifis get a build growth and suddenly Machua couldn't rescue him anymore, and those extra muscles he grew didn't help him survive the enemy phase.

In any case, now I have to figure out who I should give the Paragon/Wrath manuals to. Thinking of giving Wrath to Dagdar, but I don't think anyone on the team's hurting for EXP so I might hold onto the Paragon Manual for a bit.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7632 on: October 26, 2017, 03:19:49 PM »
Is there a particular mindset I should have going into this? I hear the games aren't exactly known for epic stories ala Final Fantasy.

et al infinitum

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "glad I don't have the bloops"

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #7633 on: October 26, 2017, 03:34:50 PM »

They haven't evolved much mechanically over the decades. A lot of DQ fans tend to play with a nostalgia for the 8-bit days of RPGs, but with modern aesthetics.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7634 on: October 26, 2017, 03:35:52 PM »
My interest may be waning.