Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussions / Re: Completion List 2017
« Last post by Lard on Yesterday at 08:37:31 PM »
Persona 5. 118 hours.
Brush and Quill / Re: Book Thread Continued
« Last post by Dincrest on Yesterday at 06:17:01 PM »
But Bilbo sometimes outright lied or withheld the truth in his "tall tales."  And even when he told the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth at the Council of Elrond, Merry and Pippin were not present.  And in both The Hobbit and Fellowship, Bilbo was extremely secretive about the ring throughout his life, so I'd venture he remained secretive about the ring.  I also wouldn't put it past the ring's influence to feed that. 

And then we come to the whole thing about how in the world did Pippin know to use that specific Gollum tease on Grishnakh?  It felt too calculated to be a simple hail Mary/shot in the dark, especially given Grishnakh's reaction that he seemed aware of Gollum and precious. 

I don't know... that whole interaction just doesn't sit right with me.  Everything around it feels too coincidental.  How would Pippin innately have that innate, very specific understanding of how to say "gollum, gollum, precious" and act as Gollum would?  Would Bilbo's tall tales and books written mention all those details, especially given how secretive he was about the ring and how he admitted that the book wasn't the truth?  And Merry and Pippin strike the others as kinda flighty and not people you'd make privy to the most pertinent information.   Maybe (and that's a BIG maybe) I'll buy that maybe Merry and Pippin badgered Samwise to tell them everything he heard at the council of Elrond, but I'm sure there are details he may not have picked up on, since whenever multiple people are exposed to something we all naturally attune to different details. 

Anyway, I'm still in the middle of the Treebeard chapter and it's a good one. 
Game Journals / Re: Retro Encounter Podcast Thread
« Last post by Arvis on Yesterday at 02:11:04 PM »
FFIV: good characters and GREAT music, coupled with a smooth battle system and a "just ok" plot, all stuffed into an on-rails experience with little exploration, even less difficulty/strategy/planning, and no customization or party-building at all.  Everything is decided for the player and every playthrough is identical.

As much as I love IV (my favorite of the series), and want to defend it against your criticisms... I can't. You're not wrong.  ...Except that the plot is better than "just ok." It's "decent".

Well said, sir.

Heh, thanks! :)
I really believe that it's the characters that make it memorable.  The plot itself can delve into "downright laughable" territory at times (especially when it comes to Kain), but it honestly doesn't matter that much because of the (mostly) lovable and interesting characters.
« Last post by Frostillicus on Yesterday at 01:26:12 PM »
FFIV: good characters and GREAT music, coupled with a smooth battle system and a "just ok" plot, all stuffed into an on-rails experience with little exploration, even less difficulty/strategy/planning, and no customization or party-building at all.  Everything is decided for the player and every playthrough is identical.

As much as I love IV (my favorite of the series), and want to defend it against your criticisms... I can't. You're not wrong.  ...Except that the plot is better than "just ok." It's "decent".

Well said, sir.
« Last post by Arvis on Yesterday at 10:33:38 AM »
The After Years is...unnecessary

Ya got me there.  IV felt pretty well complete.  A sequel to... well, ANY other FF that came after IV would have made a lot more sense.

That said, I stand by the assertion that, from a gameplay standpoint, TAY easily trumps IV.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (no not X)
« Last post by Aeolus on December 13, 2017, 07:18:32 PM »
When the motherfuck do you get a fortitude field skill? It's killing me, passing all these things that I can't use or open or swim through cuz NO ONE HAS FORTITUDE!!!

Edit: So I found out I'll get it pretty soon. Sorry for the rant. Game rocks!

I've been really feeling it as well. I hate the fact that they introduce branching quests with a skill check that required two skills that I didn't have at all.

At least I've almost obtained another Rare Blade, so that Nia can have a full set at last (of course, I'm probably going to need to have the Core Crystal recharge first).
I've got about 11 or 12 rare blades now. Most of them through common crystals believe it or not. Rare blades are actually pretty aggrivating with their special requirements for leveling up and such....not all of them but a few are pushing my buttons to say the least. What annoys me most is how FUCKING RANDOM the blade is that you'll get. Rex keeps getting tanks and healers, while Nia gets healers and tanks as well. Sucks that all the ring blades are attached to beasts too...they look stupid.

I ended up spending an Override to swap the Catgirl Blade I pulled on Nia to the third Blade user since I gave Nia the Beast Core Crystal earlier (which is also Earth Elemental). Amusingly, I got that Catgirl Blade right after completing the last 2nd rank Merc Mission that uses her exclusive skill (whoops). I also now have Vess and a Dark elemental Katana Rare Blade, the latter was pulled by my third Blade user to solidify my diversity (I need only Ice now), while Vess went to Nia to replace the Catgirl.

That said, http://www.siliconera.com/2017/12/13/xenoblade-chronicles-2-update-will-make-tiger-tiger-easier-improve-maps/

They're fixing the map (also making Tiger! Tiger! easier; although I feel that its easy enough as is; I'd complain about gains, but then I went and made a Stage 2 run that ended up netting me both a Rare Core Crystal and about 3000 Ether Crystals, which is kinda nuts).

Edit: Welp. Had my first crash. Fortunately I had saved pretty recently so the only things I lost were some quest cleanups (my Merc Missions are (un)fortunately on hold as I've unlocked the Merc Level 3 Quest and am currently too underleveled to take it right now (as I have to punch out a Level 43 Blade user who can straight up oneshot my entire party from full once he reaches the 50% HP mark; even if I avoid it, he pretty much finishes me off right afterwards due to pumping steroids)).
« Last post by divingfalcons on December 13, 2017, 06:19:28 PM »
I think I like X-2 for the most part. I've played it twice, so I'm fairly happy with saying it has the best combat in the series and a really cool and unique job mechanic.

The After Years is...unnecessary, but I'm glad you liked it! FFIV falls just outside of my top 5, so maybe that's why I'm not so keen on The After Years. I totally get your criticisms of IV though, which is why, after playing nearly every other title, it slipped out of that ranking but I think it has its memorable bits. It's not aged particularly well either, compared to the other SNES contemporaries. Each to their own, and that's why listener comments are always welcome :D Thanks as always Arvis!
« Last post by Arvis on December 13, 2017, 05:16:59 PM »
Way.

FFIV The After Years: good characters and great music, coupled with a smooth battle system and a MUCH more intelligent plot and handling of characters, tons of party building and potential for customization, as well as just the right amount difficulty to keep you playing with the myriad of cool characters you can use.  Tons of replay potential.

Those are just the facts.  I know which one I'd sooner go back to.
« Last post by Towns Car Marty on December 13, 2017, 05:04:49 PM »
no

freakin

way
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10