Author Topic: E3 2011

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
Re: E3 2011
« Reply #270 on: June 10, 2011, 04:45:11 PM »
this takes some of the wind out of the sails for the new nintendo console

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6318760/e3-2011-wii-u-tablet-limited-to-one-per-console/?tag=updates%3Beditor%3Ball%3Btitle%3B6

Granted they probably will be $$$ controllers, but it doesn't make much sense

So the rumors are true. I can already see the kids fighting over who gets to use the wiiU controler.

In the article it also says "However, Nintendo continues to evaluate whether this will continue to be the case as it finalizes development leading up to next year's launch." So, this might change. As of right now, this seems like a really bad idea.
"Oh, a hunter..."

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 11, 2011, 06:27:25 AM »
You know what I just realized? The ipad2 upgraded to iOS5 kinda does the same thing:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-airplay-comes-to-gaming

And now that nintendo gave them the idea, I wonder if sony will try to mimmick it using the vita in combination with the PS3.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Uru

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 11, 2011, 08:49:14 AM »
You know what I just realized? The ipad2 upgraded to iOS5 kinda does the same thing:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-airplay-comes-to-gaming

And now that nintendo gave them the idea, I wonder if sony will try to mimmick it using the vita in combination with the PS3.

Kotaku (yeah i know) claims its happening.

http://kotaku.com/5810920/ps-vita-to-ps3-connectivity-was-driven-by-developers-could-mean-wii-u-style-experiences-for-sonys-console

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 11, 2011, 09:25:04 AM »
Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

daschrier

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 11, 2011, 10:42:03 AM »
While Ninteno is usually the innovative thinker, I can't help but feel that they're trying to play catch up in bringing back the core game audiance. Wiimote, nunchuck, and now a tablet? How much crap do I need to play a game?

They tried the Gamecube/Gameboy connectivity thing years ago and it failed. Who's going to want to spend money on a 3DS to connect to the Wii U? The huge potential for the tablet is sports games, moving game HUDS off of the main screen, etc. By limiting it to one tablet they've lost all that potential.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 11, 2011, 10:48:52 AM »
I'm really curious about the spec, the box we saw in those videos looks so small. Will they wait for 28nm or go with 45nm? What kind of gpu will they be able to fit in there?

Uru

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 11, 2011, 12:21:06 PM »
The price point is going up so maybe they can finally get some modern stuff in there? The only use of the tablet that I thought was cool was the Ghost Recon trailer.

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 11, 2011, 12:43:31 PM »
The best game idea I can think of right now for the Wii U is using it for a Trauma Center game. I can picture all sorts of uses for a tablet while in a medical setting. Make it happen , Atlus!
"Oh, a hunter..."

Fei

• !?
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 11, 2011, 02:05:32 PM »
The Final Fantasy games with the GBA link cable were extremely fun, but it was very difficult to find friends with the hardware.  I splurged on 3 link cables for my friends, and FF:CC, and it was so much fun.  The girls thought it was cute how the three of us were sitting up straight, actively co-operating... it worked well.

Not saying it wasn't a commercial failure.  Stuff like that needs to be delivered with the initial hardware, and Nintendo is doing that now, so I think it'll be good.  By the way, where the hell was the DS/Wii functionality?  I thought for sure we'd get a Crystal Chronicles games to do that.  Was Nintendo too scared after that Gamecube flop?

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 11, 2011, 05:22:54 PM »
so it took this long to copy the VMU?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 11, 2011, 07:15:44 PM »
so it took this long to copy the VMU?

Copy? If it was a copy then it would look like one of those Tiger handheld electronics. And wasn't the VMU just the memory card?
"Oh, a hunter..."

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 12, 2011, 03:48:52 AM »
The Final Fantasy games with the GBA link cable were extremely fun, but it was very difficult to find friends with the hardware.  I splurged on 3 link cables for my friends, and FF:CC, and it was so much fun.  The girls thought it was cute how the three of us were sitting up straight, actively co-operating... it worked well.

Not saying it wasn't a commercial failure.  Stuff like that needs to be delivered with the initial hardware, and Nintendo is doing that now, so I think it'll be good.  By the way, where the hell was the DS/Wii functionality?  I thought for sure we'd get a Crystal Chronicles games to do that.  Was Nintendo too scared after that Gamecube flop?

They did do that with FFCC:Echos of Time. You got to play a DS game on either your DS or your Wii (versions sold separately).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 12, 2011, 02:51:26 PM »
Maybe go with a smaller HDD (500 gb instead of 1 or 2 tb).

Given the price of the Samsung Spinpoint F3 there's really no reason to go under 1 tb there unless it completely vanished while I wasn't looking. Even then I figure the savings for going smaller isn't worth it unless you're trying to also go faster, it's more an issue of "Do I just want a hard drive, or splurge and get an SSD AND a hard drive?"

And... yeah, even for an IPS monitor you don't need to go $400+ higher, though if you throw in an SSD then it's a reasonable estimate.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 12, 2011, 05:03:23 PM »
It's hilarious how Reggie keeps throwing around 1080p in his interviews when all the wiiU demos were 720p, and with no AA at 30fps to boot. PS360 also support 1080p but you can count the number of games that use that res with one hand, the same will probably happen with the wiiU.
I can't help thinking that if they had a machine capable of clearly outperforming the competition they would've made that a bulletpoint at the press conference. They want to recapture core gamers and core gamers care about that stuff.

This is weird, imagine MS releasing the 360 and saying: we have performance on par with the PS2 and the gamecube". It's been 5 friggin' years, in normal circumstances we would have a new gen this year and these guys are proud for finally giving developers hardware with similar capabilities of what's already on the market.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 05:09:36 PM by CDFN »

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 12, 2011, 06:13:42 PM »
The real question might be whether the other two are really going to gear up for new consoles, or if they'll even make a huge jump with the next generation. It may well be that going with blu-ray (or going Nintendo's route, but given Microsoft's strategy that's unlikely) would be enough for Microsoft to upgrade the hardware, and for Sony to iron out security holes and issues that keep, say, cross game chat from working.