Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 12:18:53 AM »
Double posting because it seems that everyone's still trying to get their computers back online from Micheal savage ravage.

DQXI: Finished up in the Volcano by steamrolling an incredibly easy boss. Probably should've held off on filling the Beastiary until after the following dungeon as I've kinda gained +10 levels in between this plot beat and the previous one in the process. The Lesser/No Exp Draconian Challenge does nothing.

PW1: Finished this over the weekend. That's two games down. Four games plus two spinoffs to go (eventually...; maybe).
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Alright, question everyone...
« Last post by Arvis on Yesterday at 12:06:38 PM »
I like the ones from Dark Cloud 2 because you can just stand behind them before opening them, then wail away on them until they die.
« Last post by Annubis on October 14, 2018, 05:12:41 PM »
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Hathen on October 14, 2018, 04:10:59 AM »
That seems so odd to me, that someone with as much experience as Tomino would head that kind of mismanagement...though he does mention approaching it like an "older style" of show so maybe the culture in production has just changed a lot since he last directed? I mean, Gainer was in like 2003, 12 years is a lot but not one where I think the situation would change that much- though the guy is like 80 years old.

Also them changing course to wrap up the show in a plot-wise satisfactory way really explains why I felt the themes got really muddled by the end- if you focus too much on just solving the plot, you risk dropping the greater themes your work was aiming for.

Quote from: Tomino
I think a lot of people got caught up by the exterior, the action scenes. But the people I'd most want to see it probably didn't. That's the guys in the Cabinet, the nuclear energy guys. And I don't expect them to.

I think this is why I have this strange soft spot for this show. I definitely got the impression that the show really wanted to be about something and a lot of the dialogue danced around these themes. The unique religious and political situation alone in Recoguista offered a lot of story potential to me.

I guess at the end of the day I'll find a weird experimental trainwreck more intriguing than another generic but competently-made entry, something that Gundam often gets.
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on October 14, 2018, 02:27:39 AM »
@Hathen Yeah, Reconguista had...problems. Most of which were just down to poor management, according to Tomino himself - here's an interview with the details: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-04-24/yoshiyuki-tomino-admits-story-problems-in-gundam-reconguista/.87449

Near as I can tell, Tomino was a bit too focused on the Sakuga, the story got confused, and while I don't see it in ANN's truncation of the interview (I couldn't find the translation I read last year), he was kind of ignoring his the episode directors and any staff that were supposed to deal with the characters, so things got confused and you wound up with episodes that didn't really amount to much.
« Last post by Greganox on October 13, 2018, 07:00:37 PM »
The Trap Box boss from Dragon Quest 8. It's guarding the venus tear, a treasure Yangus had previously failed to retrieve before the events of the game.
Single-Player RPGs / Alright, question everyone...
« Last post by JensDuck on October 13, 2018, 06:32:03 PM »
What is your favorite all time "Mimic" character, from any game?

I personally like Dark Souls Mimic, so much I will have it inked to my body sometime in the near future.

I might do a standing version, but I like this the best, I'll probably have it on my ' cubital fossa. '

General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Tomara on October 13, 2018, 10:53:19 AM »
The game has been really kind to me when it comes to five stars. I actually managed to get all four PA!dancers within 100 orbs (I already had Inigo, but whatever, Azura was in the very next orb), for instance. In the past few weeks I also managed to get a blue AND a red 180 bst dragon, a free Swordhardt, a free F!Morgan, a perfect Micaiah and more.

I'm still on a tight budget, though, so no fancy builds for everyone (anyone). Some of the Abyssal tactics I've used include:
- let Takumi get hurt so Desperation kicks in and he can quad things (a classic)
- pair a Titania-powered Linde up with a Threaten Res unit so she can kill Grima with 1 hit point to spare
- chip damage, so much chip damage (the real reason Jaffar was on that legendary banner, is that he's amazing on the Tiki map)
- area specials for everyone!
« Last post by Hathen on October 13, 2018, 05:13:49 AM »
After two or three failed attempts to watch the entire show (a true mark of quality), I finally sat down and got through Reconguista in G.

If you've even heard of the show, pretty much every criticism you've heard of it is true- most characters are thinly sketched, it's missing a lot of key information on the motivations for the people and factions in the world, many character actions make no sense, and it has some pretty obvious use of budget saving techniques in the animation (not so much that the show looks bad, but they're noticeable when they're there). I want to say this was the result of Tomino being given only 26 episodes to tell a story rather than the usual 50 or so that his Gundam shows run, but that alone is not the culprit, because there are a lot of episodes where it feels like nothing in the plot moved forward and only maybe 5 minutes of said episodes serve to show characters moving forward, making a lot of it just end up as padding.

Yet there's a part of me that kinda likes it. Tomino's ability to create a unique setting is still there in his old age- I think it says plenty that I wish there was a lot less mecha action in the episodes and a lot more expanding on what the characters and each faction actually wanted out of the conflict. A lot of times it feels like mech fights are in the show as an obligation (and aside from the truly plot-relevant ones, they're pretty tepid anyway- though Tomino's also still pretty good at setting up elaborate battle scenes when it's called for), and by the end there's a sense that all the fighting felt completely pointless (and not in an intentional "war is pointless" message kind of way, but more of a "I don't know what the themes of this show are supposed to be" way). Still, this isn't the only time Tomino's made a show with a unique setting so it's not like Reconguista has some special to offer even in that regard.

Naturally, if someone wants a serving of Tomino's insanity and awkward dialogue, I would obviously recommend rewatching Zeta or Turn A because you'll actually get a plot that makes sense to go along with it.
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Hathen on October 13, 2018, 04:16:49 AM »
Hey, they need time create Book 3 (by which I mean they need time for the artists to design new characters, there's no actual writing involved). In the meantime we get to spend time figuring out these new Abyssal maps- which I would be saying if I didn't have Legendary Hector as a merge project, because thanks to him I can be a braindead idiot and just have him stand there and solo everything. Well, a few times I needed Draug or Effie to tank a hit for him, but most of the time all I need to do is shift some Drive Stat seals around and have Hector statblob everything to death.

Also 5*'d a few random units I don't actually need like Long-Q and Athena, but I gotta get those shiny borders in the Catalog!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10