Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussions / Re: Whats the haps?
« Last post by Electricb7 on Today at 04:46:30 PM »
The kicker is that "Business and Consumer Math" and other living-skills type math classes are reserved for students with some sort of special needs IEP or something.  I think a Business and Consumer Math class should be mandatory over more theoretical math courses.  Pythagorean Theorems don't do you much good when you're trying to navigate getting a mortgage for your first home or something.

If a student can't apply the Pythagorean theorem, I doubt they're going to be able to handle compound interest.  Nothing in day-to-day finances requires anything more than basic algebra, and most of it should be covered by fourth-grade arithmetic.

The point of teaching "theoretical" math classes is to develop mental muscle, and the capability to solve general problems.  If your students are getting out of grade 9 unable to figure out how to sum up their expenses, then your system is broken; adding a special class on the subject isn't going to help.

By analogy, it's like suggesting that because students are going to spend vastly more time walking than playing basketball, the P.E. curriculum should focus on walking.  Now, maybe proper walking technique should be taught in P.E., but, as with household finances, I really can't imagine there being more than one or two classes worth of material to cover.

Exactly.
Ive always preached that code/programming, engineering, credit and finances should be mandatory classes in schools. Tech me how to do any of these things over History, or some unorthodox math class and you will most likely have increased my chances off success.

Introductory engineering is basically calculus and physics.  Programming is sequential application of algebra.  Pretty much any math class that employs symbolic reasoning will serve as a good start for those fields, even if the practical application for that particular type of math isn't immediately apparent.

True but the formula is setup for failure. If I knew that I would need programming skills in the future for writing games or getting any kind of job utilizing computers other than blogging I would have obviously payed more attention or showed more interest in math. But children aren't really interested in numbers and equations that donít do anything. Itís just working your brain but not utilizing the purpose of knowledge witch is to implement it in a meaningful way. And the same goes for engineering. Kids should be supplied with raspberry pie kits or some form of hands on learning material at an early age to better introduce them to the purposes of the applied math. If you show me that I can make Mario or Zelda I'm easily hooked. No need for begging me to do my homework. If you just ask me to do math homework with no foreseeable payoff, stimulation, or reward I'm just going to play JRPG's all day.

Game Journals / Re: Retro Encounter Podcast Thread
« Last post by Mike on Today at 01:59:38 PM »
Is it me, or is the recording of the Final Fantasy IX podcast corrupted? When I play the mp3, it skips to 1:04:00 the moment the podcast reaches the 06:52 time point 

We identified the cause as an issue uploading to our server. Weíve re-uploaded the file and it should be fine now, but let us know if you have any issues.

(If youíre listening via a podcast app, you may have to delete any cached versions)
« Last post by Towns Car Marty on Today at 12:57:18 PM »
I checked, it's not just you. Please check back a little later today and we'll have this sorted. :)
« Last post by Monsoon on Today at 12:51:42 PM »
Iím out of the house right now, but Iíll check when I get back. Will be a few hours. I still have the master MP3, so I may just need to re-upload it.
« Last post by Raven on Today at 11:22:12 AM »
Is it me, or is the recording of the Final Fantasy IX podcast corrupted? When I play the mp3, it skips to 1:04:00 the moment the podcast reaches the 06:52 time point 
« Last post by ironmage on Today at 10:43:30 AM »
The kicker is that "Business and Consumer Math" and other living-skills type math classes are reserved for students with some sort of special needs IEP or something.  I think a Business and Consumer Math class should be mandatory over more theoretical math courses.  Pythagorean Theorems don't do you much good when you're trying to navigate getting a mortgage for your first home or something.

If a student can't apply the Pythagorean theorem, I doubt they're going to be able to handle compound interest.  Nothing in day-to-day finances requires anything more than basic algebra, and most of it should be covered by fourth-grade arithmetic.

The point of teaching "theoretical" math classes is to develop mental muscle, and the capability to solve general problems.  If your students are getting out of grade 9 unable to figure out how to sum up their expenses, then your system is broken; adding a special class on the subject isn't going to help.

By analogy, it's like suggesting that because students are going to spend vastly more time walking than playing basketball, the P.E. curriculum should focus on walking.  Now, maybe proper walking technique should be taught in P.E., but, as with household finances, I really can't imagine there being more than one or two classes worth of material to cover.

Exactly.
Ive always preached that code/programming, engineering, credit and finances should be mandatory classes in schools. Tech me how to do any of these things over History, or some unorthodox math class and you will most likely have increased my chances off success.

Introductory engineering is basically calculus and physics.  Programming is sequential application of algebra.  Pretty much any math class that employs symbolic reasoning will serve as a good start for those fields, even if the practical application for that particular type of math isn't immediately apparent.
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Hathen on Today at 07:01:10 AM »
So we're finally getting a Normal Fateswakening Banner, angering Radiant Dawn and Thracia 776 fans everywhere. Given the name it'll probably be half Nohr and half Hoshido kids, though if they go purely by popularity it would pretty much be flooded with just Nohr kids. I'd guess Forrest has a good chance at making it in since he's a combination of being pretty popular and being a major character's child, same with Shiro. The former would also find good timing in that we're close to staffbots getting buffed. Selkie is the most popular child character as I recall, but I do wonder if they'll go ahead and add in their first beast character this way.

The reveal of the bonus characters for the TT will teach me to be so hasty on spending my orbs, since I already have a BIke to fill my multiplier needs. It's compounded by the fact that the 8% banner will only last a week, meaning I can't funnel a lot of the upcoming free orbs into it. At least that means if I end up getting pity broken out of a mutton man by Merric or some shit I still have a safety net available though.

Oh well. Did free rolls on the BHB and TT banners and got a 4* Shanna and 3* Hinata. More SI sacrifices!
« Last post by Dincrest on Today at 06:29:02 AM »

@Electricb7 The kicker is that "Business and Consumer Math" and other living-skills type math classes are reserved for students with some sort of special needs IEP or something.  I think a Business and Consumer Math class should be mandatory over more theoretical math courses.  Pythagorean Theorems don't do you much good when you're trying to navigate getting a mortgage for your first home or something.

Exactly.

I would respectfully disagree with you on history/social studies.  I think it's important to learn that because history often repeats itself (look at how much we compare Trumps rise to power to that of past demagogues) and learning where we've come from and why things are how they are is important.  What's the point of living in a country if we never learn that country's constitution?  However, I do think civics (practical aspects of citizenship, how the government works, more pertinent "social studies" stuff) needs to make a big return to the social studies curriculum (which, to this day, most people just think of as "dates and wars.")  I had to pass a civics test as part of my US citizenship process and it's said that 1 in 3 Americans would flunk it. 

I love history and am fascinated by it, but I learned more on my own as an adult than I did in school.  But the stuff that stuck with me was the civics stuff I learned in the 4th grade, like the 3 branches of government. 
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Smashking on Today at 04:49:44 AM »
I said I wasn't sure if I was going to use Mia, but might as well now since she's going to be a bonus unit for the Tempest Trials. I do have a high level BIke ready too, just in case.
« Last post by Tomara on Today at 02:51:13 AM »
A friend of mine lost her mother suddenly from a heart attack and said it's the worst way to lose family because she couldn't say goodbye...
I've thought about that quite a bit and while I won't said this to her (I've got some tact) my opinion at this point is that it's probably the best way because the last time I saw my mother was 7 months ago. Since then, it's been something else and slowly it's just becoming an empty husk. Watching that decay day after day is hard and part of me just wants it to end already.

I've had both happen (though nothing as close as a parent or sibling), and I also think the slow version is worse. If it's happens suddenly, you take a big hit and there's this rush to arrange everything and then the funeral is over and you can take your time to process everything.

The slow version chips away at everyone for months if not years, and it's still going to hurt. Perhaps even more so, because there's not much normalcy left to fall back on. And you'll feel guilt because there's this feeling of relief it's over.

Sorry... that wasn't exactly uplifting... Just wanted to say I sort of understand what you're going through and that it's okay to feel what you're feeling.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10