Author Topic: Etrian Odyssey V

bigdeath

• View Profile
Re: Etrian Odyssey V
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 10:14:19 AM »
The game is designed around only needing one party. The gathering skills (Chop, Mine, Take) only need 1 skill point to max out now. More important is to build a balanced party.  Dragoon, Pugilist, Masurao, Warlock, Botanist makes for a standard and balanced team that can beat the whole game.

This has tips to beat the final boss:

« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 10:43:24 AM by bigdeath »

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 10:26:44 AM »
Has anyone gotten past the first boss yet? I am getting smoked.

Just got the game yesterday, so I'll tell you when I get there :P

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 08:05:12 AM »
Did some digging and a bit of leveling and beat it, finally. Made it to second stratum.

Some tough creatures!
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 09:08:01 AM »
And Yuzo Koshiro is a musical god. I actually bought the physical soundtrack for 5 several months ago along with the soundtracks to 4, Untold, and Untold 2.

Apparently I only THOUGHT a response to this instead of typing it, but I agree that the soundtracks can be the best part of any EO title.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 02:33:07 PM »
I agree although I'm still liking EOIV's more than V's by a little bit.

I really adore IV's soundtrack.

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 03:22:22 PM »
I'm not too keen on the music. Third stratum was the worst offender, had to mute the sound since it was super grating on the ears. Curiously enough, its FM version is fantastic. The first battle theme isn't good either, considering the amount of time you'll hear it and taking previous games on account. Thank god later you get a kickass theme to make up for suffering through it.

Took a break when I encountered the teleporter puzzle. I'm still traumatized by the one in EOII.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 04:33:30 PM »
Got to the third stratum today. I see what you mean about the music.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 09:53:43 AM »
This thread, plus all the EO talk on Random Encounter (the one from, like, September, which is the one I'm listening to) makes me really want to pick Untold back up.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 12:54:29 PM »
They haven't talked about it since, so I guess no one is playing it?

I really like the Untold games. I'm wondering if the remake of EO3 is going to come to the 3DS or the Switch though.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 03:31:16 PM »
Yeah, Untold's story and characters were surprisingly good.  And they kept fetishy/fanservicey garbage to a minimum, which was also good.  I adore the cast from Untold.  Wish the game didn't get so grindy and repetitive.  Still have never seen the conclusion that story.

But as far as talking about EO games in forums, I think the games lend themselves to plenty of chatter, but people need to all be playing them around the same time, which EO is still too obscure for.  Like that one Random Encounter host said: "I own every EO game and have finished NONE of them."

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2017, 12:14:33 AM »
Yeah, I usually stall out on the second stratum, but I still ove them. Believe me, I'd love to be playing this right now, but I'm currently strapped for cash. It's one of 15 3DS games I still want...that's also why I haven't bought a Switch yet...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2017, 09:45:00 AM »
I got the game and I'll probably start playing it after I finish Pokemon Ultra Moon. I did get started in the Demo and made a team of Dragoon, Harbinger, Warlock, Masurao and Shaman. It's the first time I'm running without the designated healing class (Botanist in this case). Shaman kinda heals but at least as far as I've gotten, it's not that great at it being that it's a mixed class.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2017, 09:54:58 AM »
My limited experience with EO tells me that it's pretty good about giving the player creative ways to heal with other classes.  But obviously if you skip the traditional "Healer", then it's going to be more difficult, but you do at least get more firepower to try and tip the scales.

Once I wrapped my head around some of the mechanics in Untold, I was surprised how often I could heal through seemingly random actions, especially against mobs.  The Highlander class had some neat skills in this regard.

Aurian

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2017, 04:39:01 PM »
Playing it now, still in first stratum.

Running Matsuro, Dragoon, Mage (whatever the official name is), Shaman and the Rover.

I have the Shaman for healing but the Rover’s hound summon is doing most of the healing! Still, buffs are nice. So I have no way to really do binds oe ailments with this current party, hope that doesn’t cause issues too soon...

Standard EO fare so far, although the racial skills including the traditional harvest/chop/gather is nice so you don’t feel like you are “wasting” points...