Author Topic: Today In The News

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Today In The News
« Reply #2310 on: November 03, 2017, 04:57:25 PM »
Uh, but impoverished nations is where all the population growth is happening.  Seriously, if you factor out immigration populations in the developed world are all stagnant or negative...

Oh my god, they're doing it to us!  (Or maybe it's just things like education and birth control...nah)

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: November 03, 2017, 05:25:31 PM »
An analogy that New World Order devotees like to use is how establishments like clubs, movie theaters, etc. have maximum occupancy limits.  If you exceed that limit, it's a fire hazard.  And the world has already exceeded maximum occupancy and we're seeing the imbalance of too many people and not enough resources.   

I get why people might think that, but the assertion that we're "running out of space and resources" does not hold up to any amount of real scrutiny.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: November 03, 2017, 05:55:34 PM »
An analogy that New World Order devotees like to use is how establishments like clubs, movie theaters, etc. have maximum occupancy limits.  If you exceed that limit, it's a fire hazard.  And the world has already exceeded maximum occupancy and we're seeing the imbalance of too many people and not enough resources.   

I get why people might think that, but the assertion that we're "running out of space and resources" does not hold up to any amount of real scrutiny.

^ explain

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "glad I don't have the bloops"

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: November 03, 2017, 06:05:01 PM »
Yeah, I hear people say that a lot but it doesn't make a lick of sense. You might argue most people think of population dense cities when talking about overpopulation and not the much less densely populated rural areas, but A) we need less densely populated areas to grow food and whatnot plus B)that's just how society works. Densely populated cities ARE a fair representation of the current state of population growth.

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: November 03, 2017, 06:19:12 PM »
Looks like several of us keep good company.  I myself have zero desire, inclination, etc. to get married and/or have kids.  I don't even want to be in a relationship, because that would just throw a wrench into the works.  Everyone looks at me like I have 5 heads and that I'm somehow a miserable person because my desires are more esoteric than the norm.  But not everyone is the "marrying kind."  Not everyone is meant to marry and start a family.  Not everyone is meant to pursue the prepackaged ideal that society dictates you, and everyone else, should do.  That being said, once people start feeling my eccentric vibe, they soon start saying, "You know what Neal?  Keep living your life the way you want to.  Forget about the girls, they're nothing but trouble anyway."  And it's even been aunties who've said that to me, and that's unreal.

And I always joke that, "I deal with noisy kids and their drama all day at work.  Why would I want to come home to more noisy kids and their drama?"

I'm single and have never had a girlfriend. People think I'm weird but honestly a relationship would just gunk up the little free time that I do have to myself, and pretty much nuke my aspirations. I do want a relationship but I'm not on the prowl like the average guy. I can simply wait to where I feels its the right moment.
Dont get me started on kids. I dont mind them and of course 98% relationship will want them at some point but you have to be ready because that's a can of worms that doesn't stop flowing for 24 years.
A kid would really be a nail in my coffin.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: November 03, 2017, 08:54:39 PM »
How about we add some facts to this debate?

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2316 on: November 04, 2017, 06:59:33 AM »
Joke response: What do conspiracy theorists need facts for anyway?  (beyond cherry picking a kernel from fact and growing an Eldritch abomination straw man, of course.) 

A more genuine response: That Gandhi quote in Kevadu's linked article about need vs greed in the article sums it up perfectly.  And it makes me think about how politicians will say the poor are a drain on resources, yet how can they squander what they can't easily obtain in the first place? 

Tangent (about resource management): I want to find more information about global R&D being put into desalination plants to transform sea water into drinking water.  Of all the crises alarmists warn us about, the water crisis is the one that seems to concern me the most since the human body can only survive for, what, a few days without water? 

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know a damn thing. 
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends."
     -Schmendrick (The Last Unicorn)

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: November 04, 2017, 09:01:24 AM »
the human body can only survive for, what, a few days without water?

3 days is the average.
US and Canada might fight over the great lakes one of these days.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2318 on: November 04, 2017, 02:01:20 PM »
While America would likely win that fight because it has more guns per capita than any other country and its population far outnumbers Canada's, it would be a pyrrhic victory because the Great Lakes War will render the lakes so choked with dead bodies, munitions waste, tank emissions, and other wartime pollution that they won't be viable water sources any more. 

So it would be a lose-lose all around.

But on a positive note, at least Trump's ascendency to power is inspiring more and more women to run for political office.  After this Trump-era comes to pass, I await the coming of a Lisa Simpson for president. 

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/03/politics/women-candidates-ballot/index.html

In other political haps, I voted (via mail-in ballot) for New Jersey's gubernatorial race weeks ago, so we'll see how my state voted after Tuesday's polls close.  While I'm sure democrat Phil Murphy is a lock for the northern NJ counties, I live in southern NJ which is very swing.  I've actually seen more signs for republican Kim Guadagno during my daily commute than for Murphy.  You know what they say, "the south begins in south Jersey."
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 02:31:40 PM by Dincrest »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: November 04, 2017, 03:24:21 PM »
How about we add some facts to this debate?

I realize I've been aiming to be less cynical, but allow me this one moment because the problem is that article kind of supports the idea that overpopulation is a problem for the simple fact that human nature does not change. If the problem is greed over actual numbers, then it's still a problem because greed won't disappear.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2320 on: November 05, 2017, 07:45:46 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/05/us/texas-church-shooting-latest/index.html

...and today there was a mass shooting at a church in Texas.  26 dead (at last count).  One of the worst mass shootings in state history, it seems.  So many innocent people getting killed in mass killings recently and the fact that there have been so many mass killings recently just annihilates my brain.

But what's really sickening to me is that with all these mass killings happening and innocent people losing their lives, too many folks seem to be trolling around on the Internet arguing what side of politics the killers are on, their ethnicity, and/or their religion.  It's like, ugh, when you have a killer on one side and the dead bodies of innocents on the other, should politics, ethnicity, and/or religion even matter?  The end result is usually that the shooter was a lunatic who wantonly killed innocent people who could've been us, our families, our friends, etc. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 07:54:19 PM by Dincrest »

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2321 on: November 08, 2017, 06:03:25 PM »
...Well, it looks like New Jersey and Virginia both elected democrats as their new governors. 

I know in New Jersey, the race was fairly tight.  Republican Guadagno managed 43% of the vote.  If it weren't for the atrocity of governor Christie's reign of terror in my state, she might have won.  But unfortunately, she was Christie's lieutenant governor and simply could not shake that "guilt by association" with the voters.  In all the years I've lived in New Jersey, Chris Christie was easily the worst governor ever. 

Here's hoping governor Murphy can make good on at least some of his promises to empower educators and give us back a few pennies of the lunch money that bully Christie stole from us after beating us up. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 06:13:12 PM by Dincrest »

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: November 10, 2017, 08:30:14 AM »
Obama passes stimulus act in 2010 that adds $831 billion to the national debt (and is an unequivocal success) = Stalinist nightmare.

Trump tries to railroad through 2017 tax reform that will add $1.5 trillion to the debt (and will INCREASE taxes on the lowest brackets and save his billionaire buddies a bundle) = genius man of the people.

go home GOP logic, you're drunk.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "glad I don't have the bloops"

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2323 on: November 10, 2017, 12:34:48 PM »
Here's hoping Trump's reign of WTF creates the positive effect of waking up the apathetic populace to realize that politics is not something you can ignore.  It will affect your life, you have the means to make a difference (even by simply voting), so go out and do it.  My right to vote as a US citizen was hard earned, and I vote in everything from Commander-in-Chief down to Fire Chief.  I also have the power to do stuff in my community so I can BE the change I want to see.  We as a people have the power to make things happen. 

As I posted a few posts back, Trump's incendiary bluster is inspiring more and more women (including women of color) to speak up, run for office, and not take Trump's guff without a fight.  And in New Jersey and Virginia's gubernatorial elections, both states voted Democrat.  That's taking some of the wind out of the Trump administration's sails.  There are still more midterm elections across the country to come, I'm sure.  So the time is prime to use our voting power. 

Trump may be a political gamechanger, but he's not the only game in town. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 01:02:57 PM by Dincrest »

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: November 10, 2017, 08:44:27 PM »
There are a lot of things I don't like about the GOP's tax proposal, but as a former PhD student (I've graduated thank god) there is one particular provision that has me positively outraged.  Good description of the problem here.

Basically, imagine if you're employer threatened to charge you several times your actual salary for the privilege of working for them, but then later changed their mind.  Everything's good, right?  Now imagine that the GOP wants to tax you for the tens of thousands of dollars you just 'earned' off that interaction.  This is the exact situation graduate students are in.  It's completely insane.  That is not income.

Now to be fair that's from the House bill.  The Senate version does not appear to have this provision.  Who knows what will be in the final version.  But the fact that it's even being considered is crazy.  This would probably be the largest tax increase anyone in that income bracket has ever seen in the history of this country.  That is not an exaggeration.  And it's part of a 'tax cut' bill.

But I guess there aren't many PhD students in the GOP's base so fuck 'em.