Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #7680 on: November 08, 2017, 03:35:32 AM »

Or, as is the case with most games, I'm just terrible at it.

God, I have the SAME problem. I say to myself "I've been playing games for like 25 years now, am I ever gonna get good at this?" then I pick up any shooter or fighter and realize "No... I most certainly am NOT ever gonna get good at this..."

I like to think I'm better at enjoying games then most are at playing them though, so there is that.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #7681 on: November 08, 2017, 10:49:11 PM »
Sometimes I think it would be great to have a kid aged say 7, and for christmas I could suprise him/her with a brand new happy fun sonic game. The game I had so much fun playing as a wee Rook.

The story is dripping with self-serious intensity, portraying a dark future of robo-oppression and torture.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #7682 on: November 08, 2017, 10:54:00 PM »
I'm downloading Tales of Xillia through the PS Store for $20. I played the Japanese version back in 2011, but got stuck because I couldn't understand enough to proceed. I never really had that problem with Graces F, because I have 30 hours invested in the JP version of Graces F. Now with the English version, I can proceed with a lot less dicking around.

Older tales games often hit the flash sales for around $7 if you keep your eyes peeled.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #7683 on: November 12, 2017, 03:33:05 AM »
I finished FE5. Quite a ride that was.

The last few chapters of this game really encourage you to deploy every staff user you can come up with, which really came to bite me in the ass for Chapter 22. I went to 21x after allowing one guy to get captured in the previous map, but I stuck around too long trying to get lots of different treasure and capture items and multiple people, including Linoan, Safy, Asbel and most importantly Tina became fatigued, and I had already used up my Stamina Drinks earlier in the game- kinda surprised only the one vendor relatively early in the game sells the things, would've thought there'd be another one later. They don't even provide any for you to steal.

The instant I saw what I was up against in Chapter 22 I knew I made a huge mistake letting Tina get fatigued, because her Thief staff probably would've let me cheese the chapter quite easily (alongside getting me another Dire Thunder). My high-mag sleep users were also out of commission, preventing me from sleep-cheesing Reinhardt with Pure Waters. I had to clear the map the old-fashioned way, so I deployed every single leadership star I could and kept people clustered around Nanna, Diarmund, and the King's Sword as best I could (good thing this isn't Shining Force or I'd get a face full of AoE spells), and while my hit rates were generally decent, my evade rates weren't so much. If Olwen wasn't taking out the ballistae with Bolting I think the map would've been impossible. Reinhardt is somehow even more powerful in this game than he is in Fire Emblem Heroes, and in my winning run I blasted him with Bolting a few times before talking to him with Olwen and finishing him off with the King's Sword. Karin then put some work in by equipping a Master Lance and killing the entire Mage Squadron in one enemy phase.

After that it was pretty much smooth sailing. Chapter 23 gave me Ced, who would have the crown of being The Game Breaker of two different games had FE4 not been a game where about a third of the cast were game breakers. Galzus is pretty broken too- seems like they really wanted to give the new players some last-second crutch characters to beat the final chapters if they let people die. Plus they give you a sword to make Reydrik laughably easy.

One thing I do find kinda odd is how the game tells you the Blaggi Sword can only be used by people with Holy Blood, yet you can't give it to Galzus, Mareeta, or even Eyvel, which seems like a really weird oversight when they also allowed Fergus to use it as a subtle clue to his background.

I failed my first run of Chapter 24x because the map does is not particularly nice to people going in blind. A few of my staffbots were nearing fatigue despite me spending all my money on just Life Rings in the secret shop, so I couldn't Restore as quickly as I was being Slept/Berserked, which wasn't helped by tiles randomly warping the staffs I did deploy all over the place. I decided instead to just Rewarp Linoan over to the escape point and have her kill everything with Resire. Almost seems like this was the intended design. Of course this ended up fatiguing Linoan for the final chapter, but having one less staffbot isn't a big deal since you are given like 6 of them. Also for some reason this chapter also gives out a Knight's Crest in one of the chests.

The first few turns of the final chapter were probably the hardest, needing to do some pretty unreliable boss kills thanks to the game deciding your party should be split into 6 groups, ruining most of any Charm/Support Bonuses you were hoping to stack unless you plan your deployments out like 5 chapters early. I had more than enough sleep and silence charges left though, so I could just spam the things all day long.

The final boss is a real anticlimax, in more ways than one. He's a laughably easy boss to ORKO with Ced after a journey through a hard-bordering-on-bullshit game, and killing him doesn't really solve any conflicts plot-wise when you think about it (though there's that last-minute plot twist about how Leif's parents died to make him semi-relevant!). Getting to him is pretty hard though so it's nice the final chapter's difficulty is front-loaded at least (and he has a pretty damn cool boss theme, it's got nothing on Arvis's though).

In any case this was definitely one of the most enjoyable FE games I've played. The design in some places can be bullshit, but rarely feels unintentional. The capturing/stealing is what made this game really fun for me, and not giving the player any gold to work with really encourages its use. Really hoping that they bring back this mechanic at some point, but it would need to be in a game that similarly deprives you of being able to farm for supplies.

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7684 on: November 12, 2017, 08:55:08 PM »
I've pretty much made it a point to avoid pre-Awakening Fire Emblems, since they're essentially masturbatory aids for masochists.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7685 on: November 12, 2017, 09:10:16 PM »
I've pretty much made it a point to avoid pre-Awakening Fire Emblems, since they're essentially masturbatory aids for masochists.

What sort of buffoonery?

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7686 on: November 12, 2017, 09:16:36 PM »

We get it. You don't enjoy challenging games.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "glad I don't have the bloops"

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #7687 on: November 12, 2017, 11:35:28 PM »
I thought Sacred Stones was easier than Awakening.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7688 on: November 13, 2017, 12:46:52 AM »
I finished FE5. Quite a ride that was.

The last few chapters of this game really encourage you to deploy every staff user you can come up with, which really came to bite me in the ass for Chapter 22. I went to 21x after allowing one guy to get captured in the previous map, but I stuck around too long trying to get lots of different treasure and capture items and multiple people, including Linoan, Safy, Asbel and most importantly Tina became fatigued, and I had already used up my Stamina Drinks earlier in the game- kinda surprised only the one vendor relatively early in the game sells the things, would've thought there'd be another one later. They don't even provide any for you to steal.

The instant I saw what I was up against in Chapter 22 I knew I made a huge mistake letting Tina get fatigued, because her Thief staff probably would've let me cheese the chapter quite easily (alongside getting me another Dire Thunder). My high-mag sleep users were also out of commission, preventing me from sleep-cheesing Reinhardt with Pure Waters. I had to clear the map the old-fashioned way, so I deployed every single leadership star I could and kept people clustered around Nanna, Diarmund, and the King's Sword as best I could (good thing this isn't Shining Force or I'd get a face full of AoE spells), and while my hit rates were generally decent, my evade rates weren't so much. If Olwen wasn't taking out the ballistae with Bolting I think the map would've been impossible. Reinhardt is somehow even more powerful in this game than he is in Fire Emblem Heroes, and in my winning run I blasted him with Bolting a few times before talking to him with Olwen and finishing him off with the King's Sword. Karin then put some work in by equipping a Master Lance and killing the entire Mage Squadron in one enemy phase.

After that it was pretty much smooth sailing. Chapter 23 gave me Ced, who would have the crown of being The Game Breaker of two different games had FE4 not been a game where about a third of the cast were game breakers. Galzus is pretty broken too- seems like they really wanted to give the new players some last-second crutch characters to beat the final chapters if they let people die. Plus they give you a sword to make Reydrik laughably easy.

One thing I do find kinda odd is how the game tells you the Blaggi Sword can only be used by people with Holy Blood, yet you can't give it to Galzus, Mareeta, or even Eyvel, which seems like a really weird oversight when they also allowed Fergus to use it as a subtle clue to his background.

I failed my first run of Chapter 24x because the map does is not particularly nice to people going in blind. A few of my staffbots were nearing fatigue despite me spending all my money on just Life Rings in the secret shop, so I couldn't Restore as quickly as I was being Slept/Berserked, which wasn't helped by tiles randomly warping the staffs I did deploy all over the place. I decided instead to just Rewarp Linoan over to the escape point and have her kill everything with Resire. Almost seems like this was the intended design. Of course this ended up fatiguing Linoan for the final chapter, but having one less staffbot isn't a big deal since you are given like 6 of them. Also for some reason this chapter also gives out a Knight's Crest in one of the chests.

The first few turns of the final chapter were probably the hardest, needing to do some pretty unreliable boss kills thanks to the game deciding your party should be split into 6 groups, ruining most of any Charm/Support Bonuses you were hoping to stack unless you plan your deployments out like 5 chapters early. I had more than enough sleep and silence charges left though, so I could just spam the things all day long.

The final boss is a real anticlimax, in more ways than one. He's a laughably easy boss to ORKO with Ced after a journey through a hard-bordering-on-bullshit game, and killing him doesn't really solve any conflicts plot-wise when you think about it (though there's that last-minute plot twist about how Leif's parents died to make him semi-relevant!). Getting to him is pretty hard though so it's nice the final chapter's difficulty is front-loaded at least (and he has a pretty damn cool boss theme, it's got nothing on Arvis's though).

In any case this was definitely one of the most enjoyable FE games I've played. The design in some places can be bullshit, but rarely feels unintentional. The capturing/stealing is what made this game really fun for me, and not giving the player any gold to work with really encourages its use. Really hoping that they bring back this mechanic at some point, but it would need to be in a game that similarly deprives you of being able to farm for supplies.

Veld is the epitome of a chapter end boss like those pirates you fight in early FE1. Its just that his chapter is FE5's final chapter. But then again, this was effectively Leif's and Finn's Bogus Adventure in between Seliph's grand tour of his half of Jugdral, so a random castle boss being the final badguy is pretty appropriate. Hell, Reinhardt and the Deadlords were the real final bosses. That being said, I still feel that the best way to take him and his cronies out involves status spamming the lackies, then having Tina pilfer both of his tomes and capturing him with Marty (because there's nothing like finishing off an FE game by being the status effect assholes).

And alas, poor Saias. If only you had kept your bowling pin Leadership Star arrangement instead of being left with a 2:1 split of Leadership Stars, you might have been worth trading the fucking Wind God for (or if your dad wasn't bogarding Valflame from you, as +20 Mag alone is more utterly insane for this game than Forseti's +20 Skl & Spd; but then you having that would've ended up as a Time Paradox, despite the numerous other Time Paradoxes going on between FEs 4 & 5).

Sadly, Eyvel doesn't get to sport her Hax dodging for her return to the game, so she's completely outdated by her return. One of the neat things about the Deadlords is if you failed to rescue her, Eyvel replaces the Sniper (and likewise the other Deadlords will take on the appearance of other fallen characters; specifically Lifis, Dagdar, Sara and Galzus; Raydrik will always be one of the six and is the one Leif faces, which is good as he's sporting a Loptyr Sword as well).

As for the Capture mechanic, they did bring it back for Fates (in a way that couldn't be more heavily neutered since all it gets you are a couple of early crutches that can bullshit one or two of Conquest's challenges, while the rest of the time, the mechanic can only net you a couple of glorified generics with no skills or significant value to add to your forces at best). They brought the lack of money and grinding back for Conquest, they just forgot to add in anything fun to compensate (past Fates sole Defend mission).

What sort of buffoonery?

Ehh. I can see where he's coming from. Being able to skip enemy turns is one QoL feature I don't want to lose (although it was the DS remake of Shadow Dragon that first implemented that feature along with mid-battle save points). And really, when your choices are: NES era jank (i.e. Shadow Dragon or the rougher edges of Gaiden), SuperNES era's vast maps of sparseness and enemies with a flat +57% bonus to Hit and Avoid across the board, to the GBA era's doldrum, or the GCN/Wii's $300 admission fee at the door or even the DS's "Insert Game Localization Here"; I can see why it might not appeal to everybody.

That being said, Thracia is a special kind of beast where its completely fine with pulling the rug out from under you, but also gives you a shitload of tools to bullshit the game right back once you understand what it wants out of you (seriously, even that chapter with Reinhardt and Saias is a joke once you know about the Vanishing Bridge, how to get rid of Saias, the Barrier/Holy Water trick, and the Convo between Olwen and Reinhardt; hell, that Convo alone is almost a masterstroke level troll since it requires wading through the last standing force of Cavalry in the game for a mediocre unit to get handed a weapon that's Effective against Cavalry (along with being a 17 Mt Brave with built in Miracle, a +10 bonus to Mag, 20% Crit bonus, and isn't too heavy by the game's standards) by an enemy who's more than happy to straight up kill said unit; its just that, if you happen to remove the checks on said Prf (through like Warp and Sleep), the chapter literally folds in upon itself, because now you have a unit that's heavily armed and right next to the now effectively unguarded head).

What's really nice about Thracia is that there's even a line of games that extend further out of that branch (even if they're stranded in Japan, were not made sporting Nintendo's coffers, and also lacking Nintendo's heavy handed regulations/restraint).

Compared to Conquest, where the game was clearly inspired by Thracia, but kinda lacks that whole element of 'the game is only bullshit until you solve it, then it breaks in half', because its too busy restraining you as much as possible, to the point where it stops being fun or interesting (like, it brings back the Capture mechanic, but only two units across all of Fates can perform the act and they both suck; and since most generics' inventories fall into a Volcano once Captured and lack Skills outside of Conquest, which are usually only the Class's bog standard kit anyways, plus Captured units either need several chapters of time or resources that your farms may not produce to become usable, there's almost never a real reason to ever bother; like the game's Forging mechanic might have actually made sense if you could actually capture most standard weapons since you'd only be resource limited instead of weapon/fund limited; obtaining 128 copies of anything isn't exactly probable unless you're staring at a very generous source).

Anyways, I've spent the better part of today getting bored of ASG's bullshit, so I finally decided to fire up Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. Unfortunately, I feel that the series really did peak with 3, but then, I've only just left Grassland and moved onto Desertland (after that will be Waterworld/land). It's too bad they refer to the Papercraft battles as something other than Heavy Maché (I'm going for Metal here, not Machine, although that also works, hence the beauty of the pun, and the disappointment that it was not made) battles as that would've been a hilariously deep cut (especially if one of them were named R-Grain MkIII or something to that effect............as I said, 'a hilariously deep cut').
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7689 on: November 13, 2017, 08:29:35 AM »
Don't know too much about Fire Emblem, other than that I never recovered from the random re-enforcements in Radiant Dawn. Kind of want to get into it, but I guess it's just one those things not meant to be.

As for business, in celebration of my PS3 magically starting to work again, I've decided to go back to do post-game stuff in Final Fantasy XIII. That post game-stuff being nothing but grinding and hunts of course, but that's okay. I'm not in the mood for dodging lightnings or breeding chocobos anyway. Some meditative old school grinding seems to be suited for my current dead mindset.

What I want to know though, is that what are some of the most optimal ways of farming? So far I've only killed some Adamantoises with Death every now and then in between Cieth stones. I have one maxed out  ultima weapon, a whole load of unupgraded accessories and relatively high crystarium. Current party is Light, Vanille and Sazh. Light has max weapon, everyone else has tier 2 with random levels. Seems the tortoises can be upgraded, but I fear the death method won't work on them, so not completely sure if I should farm for at least 3 ultimate weapons first.

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7690 on: November 13, 2017, 02:42:43 PM »

We get it. You don't enjoy challenging games.

It's not that I don't like challenging games, it's that I don't like games that are just artificially difficult like the Souls games. I guess I just don't care much for hard 3-D action games since you have to deal with additional shit absent from 2-D games like the camera. I liked Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, for one.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:44:21 PM by Der Jermeister »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7691 on: November 13, 2017, 03:21:06 PM »
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
Man, there's so much to do in this game.  Without expecting to, I have defeated nearly every Mark in the game and now have 11 of the 12 Espers.  Only Zodiark remains for me.  This is really not something I ever do in RPGs anymore.  Optional superbosses?  Nope, don't have the time for that.  And yet, here I am, inexplicably drawn to them.  I spent so much time on my character builds that I just can't resist throwing those builds at every monster I can find.  And now I'm rocking not only the Mesa+Germinas Boots+Berserk combo, but the Excalibur+White Robes combo as well.  Of course, actually GETTING Excalibur is difficult enough that you're already good enough to beat the story if you can get it.

One of the only things I feel like I am missing is a ribbon, oddly.  Just haven't stumbled across a single one.

Tales of Xillia 2
Sometimes know by it's full name, "Tales of Xillia 2: Take Four Steps and Open The Menu".
At least, that's how I've been playing it.  So dang much to try and keep track of.  And you know what?  I love it.  I love these characters so much, and the world is interesting.  So I'm just grateful to be back in it (finally, 5 years after the game was released).
Leia is best girl, so I'm really hoping I can waifu her with Ludger.  But somehow I doubt it.  Not only that, but I have a bad feeling about what the future holds for our intrepid Self-Insert Silent Protagonist.

The Elite Monsters are actually Elite, impressively.  Got a Game Over against one of them, but it taught me the true value of Power Hits.  Doing those fights makes you better at the game and they actually feel quite rewarding.

I can definitely see why people hated the annoying and intrusive debt system, though.  I don't mind it, and I even like the construction of the game where you can kinda play lazily and explore at will.  I like the character sidestories, too.  But the constant phone calls from Nova are irritating, for sure.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #7692 on: November 13, 2017, 04:09:28 PM »
I can definitely see why people hated the annoying and intrusive debt system, though.  I don't mind it, and I even like the construction of the game where you can kinda play lazily and explore at will.  I like the character sidestories, too.  But the constant phone calls from Nova are irritating, for sure.

To continue the main quest, please grind 500,000 (which you would probably have if we didn't put a forced money cap on you the entire time)

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #7693 on: November 13, 2017, 06:24:38 PM »
Valkyria Chronicles 3:  I'm partway into Chapter 11.  All hell is breaking loose, the squad has been betrayed on almost every level, and the main cast members are beginning to break under the stress.  I love this game.

Some of my characters have reached Elite rank in their main class, so I'm starting to switch their classes up so they can unlock more potentials.  It feels wrong to reassign Imca, though...she's unbelievably effective as a Lancer.  (Especially when you consider her special ability, which allows her to do massive damage to everything in line-of-sight).

No, it's not perfect.  The difficulty level is inconsistent; it seems I either get S-rank without breaking a sweat, or have to struggle just to survive (I hate those armored infantry guys).  But even with the rampant level reuse and PSP-graphics, this has the stuff I want in a VC game.

One of the only things I feel like I am missing is a ribbon, oddly.  Just haven't stumbled across a single one.

You can farm ribbons on floor 49 of the trial mode, and bring them back to the main game.  It's pretty time consuming, but you can ameliorate the poor drop rate by abusing the auto-save.

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7694 on: November 14, 2017, 01:44:12 PM »
Man, VC 3 was just too good, even it was really just VC 2.5 (which I think was also good, if not for some annoynace with the credit system). Totally not happy about the new direction with the franchise. There was potential to make it like Kiseki, close the Gallian trilogy and move to new country. Wasn't meant to be I guess.

You could farm everything in trials, that is if you want to keep using that mode and savescum steals all day long. Also it's not the same thing getting a thing like Wyrmhero Blade in trials opposed to actually completing the questlines. Personally I think it's good only for trial 100, which was one of the best bonus bosses in the entire franchise. Other locations iirc, are Henne mines depths, Pharos subterra and I think you can get one from the hunt club quest, but it means sacrificing other great gear you could get there. Also I think those chests have something like a 10% spawn rate. In any case, there isn't need for more than 1-2 ribbons, since someone is probably rocking some Boots, Genji Gloves or a Bubble Belt anyway.

Almost done with the Titan trials in FF XIII myself. Got one extra trap too, but still need to farm some gil so that my "ultimate" weapon doesn't have lower stats than my tier 2.

Also noticed that Suikoden IV has managed to make it to PSN at some point. Seems I could actually finish this franchise now. Heard some bad things about it, but ehhh... in retrospect I even managed to like Suikoden III. I think my appreciation towards the series is growing with each game I play, though they may not be personal favorites.