Author Topic: Fire Emblem Heroes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Reply #930 on: November 07, 2017, 08:04:44 PM »
If Ryoma loses (and he'll probably will given how useless stall tactics are in VGs and its Rocket Tag nature), then I'm immediately mercing on over to Amelia to spend the rest of my flags.

It's also annoying how much Asshole's Assault has added Guidance sporting Nowitches to further bullshit F2Pers. Teams of Axura, Bowlyng, Nowitch and that motherfucker Reinhardt are now roaming the wild, as far as the screen can display, and laying waste to everything.

Welp Edit: Stick a fork in him, the Lobster is done. Even if Soren voters left themselves completely spent, they're still close enough to score a multiplier win. Meh, Amelia's still in it and I hope she wins because everyone else is both lame and dull SHE'S HUGE!!!.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 10:38:20 PM by Aeolus »
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Smashking

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: November 07, 2017, 10:36:44 PM »
Wow, Team Shanna has taken the lead and there's no bonus for the final hour. She's probably going to win here.
Just your regular Nintendo nerd. :D

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #932 on: November 07, 2017, 11:03:54 PM »
Wow, Team Shanna has taken the lead and there's no bonus for the final hour. She's probably going to win here.

Sadly, that's not how it works (I'd say 'yet' but we all know that the devs will have scraped this mode altogether before they ever implement anything sensible like that; hell they'd probably implement a voting collage and subsequently, Gerrymandering before that). Hinoka's gonna fucking bury her, due to her relative voter strength and the Blue Turtle Shell multiplier. At least Karel's getting put out of his misery (as funny as it would've been for him to slash the pineapple, he's just way too outclassed here) and Amelia being stronk this round are the only bright spots. Meanwhile, Ryoma getting Chaos Dunk'd at the last minute sucks just like it always does.

And yes, to confirm, the Lobster has been boiled. No Army Win bonus for me... ;_;

Doh! Edit: Welp. Don't I look the fool. You meant, that they were at 'Same' status, and not that there wasn't a final hour multiplier (because that would be dumb and lead to nothing but bullshit). She did indeed win and now I have to choose between 'Get Huge!!!' and 'I have the unit multiplier'. Screw it, I'm still going with "HUGE!!!" just because I like her better (and because, literally everybody has and will be running Shanna and I don't need to do that to myself).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:14:16 PM by Aeolus »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #933 on: November 08, 2017, 02:21:54 AM »
Hah, look at that! Team Soren won! Don't underestimate the power of mercs and the people who ship them!

(No, seriously, have you seen some of the highest ranking units? Lots of 'Ikesgay', 'Ike's Boyfriend' and the like.)

Looking at how the score shot up in the final half of the second day, our victory wasn't sheer luck. Yeah, we couldn't have won without the multiplier, but people actually saved up and used strategy to make a difference. It's so very, very fitting.

I doubt we'll be able to beat Takumi the same way, but if we could...

Edit: before someone complains about multiplier wins being not cool: we have a plan. Soren takes down Takumi, Shanna defeats Amelia, and the finals will be between two less popular units. Soren wins. IS sees the gauntlet is bullshit and retires the whole mode. Everyone wins.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 02:52:48 AM by Tomara »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #934 on: November 08, 2017, 06:30:09 AM »
Hah, look at that! Team Soren won! Don't underestimate the power of mercs and the people who ship them!

(No, seriously, have you seen some of the highest ranking units? Lots of 'Ikesgay', 'Ike's Boyfriend' and the like.)

Looking at how the score shot up in the final half of the second day, our victory wasn't sheer luck. Yeah, we couldn't have won without the multiplier, but people actually saved up and used strategy to make a difference. It's so very, very fitting.

I doubt we'll be able to beat Takumi the same way, but if we could...

Edit: before someone complains about multiplier wins being not cool: we have a plan. Soren takes down Takumi, Shanna defeats Amelia, and the finals will be between two less popular units. Soren wins. IS sees the gauntlet is bullshit and retires the whole mode. Everyone wins.

Nah. There was plenty of talk about Sorenites running out of Flags, namely due to having so many multipliers, that many were lulled into cashing in early and burning out. That's the problem with the diminished threshold is that almost every round will have a multiplier tied to it. And you're right that 'luck' has nothing to do with it. The entire question of the mode is a matter of "who does the predictor state will Mario Kart's last?", and unfortunately for Soren fans, the predictor has already spoken (and it doesn't look good for Ike's bromance option no1).

And hell, I never really cared for discount Shannan anyways. He was just the team with the highest number of supporters, so I hedged my bets on him. Besides, what you're saying wouldn't work with Soren anyways (or not nearly as well as with Karel who had almost no support compared to everyone else, as if he had swept, then it would've been hilarious due to being the bullshit singularity, but predictors aren't that good, especially with all the Salt this mode generates).

Seriously, if it were not for the Orbs and Coins, I'd have absolutely no use for the mode. The feathers aren't really attractive enough to put up with this bullshit on a regular basis. And I've got until 11AM EST time, for the predictor to come up with whether or not Amelia blows out like Ryoma did, in order to maximize my score and gains and minimize my effort with the mode itself.

Is the underlined (not linked) part too much to askr for?

And while I'm here, free Death Blow banner pull was a 4 star Cain (WoM3 isn't the worst reward). Didn't bother pulling for anyone else since Elincia is the only one of that banner I don't have (although a Delthea with not-terrible traits would've been nice).

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #935 on: November 08, 2017, 06:47:55 AM »
Up until the second half of the final day, the predictor shifts constantly and merely shows a number of possible outcomes. Just an hour ago, Soren winning was such an outcome. His odds are about the same as they were in his match against Ryoma, so there's certainly a chance for him to make it to the finals. (And defeat the very concept of the Voting Gauntlet together with Miss Dispair Desperation. Normally I wouldn't approve of sacrificing the Hoshidan siblings for an imaginary gambit, but this is the first time I actually had real fun with a Voting Gauntlet. Fun that goes beyond 'yay, I have more orbs and feathers now.')

BTW you don't want to spend too many flags on the final multipliers, because it's all over if your opponent gets that one rare multiplier in the final hours of the competition.

Edit: Guess what I got from my favourite banner?!

... It's a 4* Leon! ... I guess that if you were to somehow merge the units I actually want and added a more likable personality, you'd get something like Leon. Thanks FEH...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 09:20:22 AM by Tomara »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #936 on: November 08, 2017, 08:16:12 PM »
Up until the second half of the final day, the predictor shifts constantly and merely shows a number of possible outcomes. Just an hour ago, Soren winning was such an outcome. His odds are about the same as they were in his match against Ryoma, so there's certainly a chance for him to make it to the finals. (And defeat the very concept of the Voting Gauntlet together with Miss Dispair Desperation. Normally I wouldn't approve of sacrificing the Hoshidan siblings for an imaginary gambit, but this is the first time I actually had real fun with a Voting Gauntlet. Fun that goes beyond 'yay, I have more orbs and feathers now.')

BTW you don't want to spend too many flags on the final multipliers, because it's all over if your opponent gets that one rare multiplier in the final hours of the competition.

Edit: Guess what I got from my favourite banner?!

... It's a 4* Leon! ... I guess that if you were to somehow merge the units I actually want and added a more likable personality, you'd get something like Leon. Thanks FEH...

You're kinda missing the point with the VG. It isn't about the upsets, or the 'lol strats' (seriously, if there was ever any real strategy involved in this mode, then stalling strats would actually work), its about the fact that you can't even play this without the spreadsheets and the score tracker because everything's set to maximum overfuck. Just as there are plenty of people who want to play for the losers just to merc some feathers, there are those who want to join the winning team for those Army Victory feathers, and then there's the team who're running with their favorite, with the just-for-fun in-betweeners. Before the multiplier, it was all about the first two groups making mad bank while off-brand favorites got smoked, while afterwards, its become pick whomever because chances are that they're gonna get smoked due to bullshit, you've got a 1 in 8 chance of not getting stomped. And if you were playing just for funsies or because you liked a particular character, just look at what's happening with this VG. Most popular character: Smoked. Least popular character: Smoked. The takeaway is that nobody is really safe since its a game of Russian Roulette, except every chamber but one is loaded.

Right now, the one upside to this mode is that you aren't completely eliminated when you lose (imagine what that'd do for this craptacular mode where Orbs and Sacred Coins are also on the line?).

And seriously, I think every Soren fan right now who're all spouting "Now THAT'S strategy!" need to take a look at themselves in the mirror because there is no strategy to this thing. There are far too many players on any given side for there to be enough of a collaborated effort beyond a knee jerk rally. And with License to Kill mode on, there's no point on committing any of your flags to any desperate attempt at tipping the scales since your team will either fail to change the outcome enough or overshoot, leading to a Smoking. At this point all a player can really do is snipe late multipliers because its the best way to score a high rank in both the Current and Cumulative rankings which are the only guarantees.

My TL;DR is that we're all Merc'n now (except for those who got lucky and picked the winning team since they also get 500/1000/1500 feathers for free).

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #937 on: November 09, 2017, 03:40:39 AM »
I think you're the one not getting it.

The Voting Gauntlet was meant as a popularity contest, but long-running ones are not fun when your favourite has absolutely no chance of winning. No one will be engaged if it's obvious from hour one who's going to win. In order to make a mode like that engaging, you need to give the underdogs a chance.

I'm not happy with these hair trigger bonus rounds either and I do wish IntSys gives this mode a huge overhaul or replaces it entirely with a competition that's feels fairer and more fun for all sides. That's why I wouldn't mind seeing two underdogs in the finale. It may create strong enough of a reaction to make IntSys rethink things.

Right now though, I am having fun. The mode itself is pretty tedious, sure, but the online activity surrounding it is at its best. Fanart, comics, memes. I'm not entirely sure I needed to see Soren cooking lobster while only wearing an apron, but it's pretty obvious people are having fun with both his and Shanna's victory.

Also, remember what I said earlier this week?

Okay. Soren doesn't stand a chance. Well, if predictions are correct and we all hit the brakes and prevent Ryoma from getting a final hour bonus, we could win by a small margin, but that would require a level of coordination I don't think Fire Emblem Heroes are capable of or even interested in.

I, and I'm sure many others, are well aware that the player base is simply too large to pull off any real strategy. The best we can do is play smartly within our own limitations. However, there was one condition for Soren's victory and that was Ryoma not getting and multipliers in the final hours. Whether is was through coindidence or coordination, the team as a whole paced itself correctly and exactly that scenario (hah!) happened. It's fun to pretend it was thanks to strategy.

And honestly, looking at what units I get send my way, they do seem to be putting a little more thought into this than the teams I was on last time.

It's not the Voting Gauntlet that's fun. It's the fans getting invested that make it fun. (And that includes the ones making spreadsheets. I just like looking at numbers, okay?)

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #938 on: November 09, 2017, 05:43:19 AM »
I think the best suggestion I've seen so far as to how to make the Voting Gauntlet more functional as a popularity vote is to give a static multiplier to underpopulated teams in ratio to how much smaller their team is (ie 1/2 the size means 2x multiplier whole way through). Also make it so your rank will not take this multiplier into consideration, it's just for victory calculation purposes. This would make it so that:

1. The character with the most enthusiastic support wins (the members are playing the most often)
2. You don't have to wake up at bumfuck who knows what time in the middle of the night if you want to catch that juicy 7x multiplier or whatever

I also personally would remove the winning team rewards altogether, it should just be about supporting the character you like.

Of course, I think this system would likely favor less popular characters since they usually have a more dedicated fanbase (so maybe still weight the ratio in favor of the large groups, like say you only get 1.9x multiplier if you have half the people or whatever). It would also mean they would need to remove the option to be able to jump in in the middle of the match or whatever, but I think that can be somewhat addressed by having a sign up sheet running a week in advance or whatever, they usually announce them that early anyway (or you could make late joiners only have their score be worth a fraction when calculating for the team, so they can still try to get rewards for playing). If they removed the winning team rewards, they could also create a loser's bracket for people who don't like it when their favorite gets knocked out first turn. It also still wouldn't fix the mode being generally boring to play though.

Anyway with the Tempest over I can spend my stamina leveling up random characters I drew/promote or whatever. I promoted that +ATK Klein and Kagero I drew earlier, and merged the latter with the one I already had. Leveled them up aside those -RES Sonya and Catura I drew. The first two are already putting in some work for me in Arena Assault, but -RES Sonya is teh sux because she can't tank a buffed Reinhardt without a defense tile, and -RES Catura isn't much better (at least she one-shots every popular mage though). Regardless, I'm having an easier time with now that my barracks has rounded out a bit, but it still takes me way too many runs to get perfect run. The maps this week are especially awful, particular the stupid one with all the walls and defense tiles running down the center- if you don't deploy specific units and move very specific ways the first turn, Thunder Birdflip and How do I shot Horses will pin the entire map and basically force a loss.

Also my free pull of Death Blow yielded me a 3* Laslow. Think that's enough to discourage me from pulling for now- plus given their habits, there's probably going to be a new banner announced next week. If I dig into the monthly quests I'll have around 80 orbs for that whenever it rears its head.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #939 on: November 09, 2017, 11:35:12 PM »
Welp. I had a post ready for this eventuality hours ago, but then I decided on the off-chance that I was wrong that it would make me look the fool (although I'm still glad I didn't post it because it would've come off as massively petty and assholeish (even more so than my previous posts) and way way too serious for this mode to ever deserve).

So to tl;dr what my now lost-to-the-aethernet post had to say, the bad news is that Amelia joins the ranks of Ryoma in terms of getting Mario Kart'd, the good news is that I don't have to listen to Team Soren -ing off about their master 'strats'.

At this point, there's only one thing to do. Join team Takumi and assure :victoly: for myself (either my streak continues and he gets BTS'd and the superior FE wins, or I walk away 500 Feathers richer).

Anyways, the actually important news is that there's another Feh video around the corner (I'd say 'about time' but this month's been rather dead zone-ish, so I'll go with 'thank Feh'). Its probably too much to ask for to simply do away with VGs altogether (this is one baby who needs no bathwater to throw out), but maybe addressing the pool distribution would be nice (Commons have almost lost their lead entirely to Uncommons who are about to be overtaken by Rares, its the sad but inevitable fate of random chance pools). An alternative would be something for the units who're getting left behind by powercreep (which will inevitably lead to two sets of powercreep overtaking those who hadn't initially fallen into dustbin territory yet), like a sudo-promotion.

Smashking

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: November 10, 2017, 12:41:34 AM »
Damn, I missed dumping 400 flags in the final hour on Team Shanna.

I wonder if we'll get another Hero Fest after next week's Feh Channel. And then they'll unveil some other way super whales can get ahead of us.
Just your regular Nintendo nerd. :D

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #941 on: November 10, 2017, 03:17:58 AM »
Ah, so close... I'm honestly a little disappointed Soren lost. Especially since it looked like Takumi's final multiplier wasn't going to happen for hours. Oh well, can't stop those who chose feathers over victory, I guess. I'm switching over to Team Takumi and I'd like to see him win, but it'd be hilarious if Shanna, Destroyer of Hoshido, took home the throphy.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #942 on: November 10, 2017, 04:47:23 AM »
The upside to this VG....

Better watch out for Shannas.

Also lucked into Cecilia on my last Infantry Tower run so RIP ReBHeB and second Nov Tenth Stratum quests.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #943 on: November 10, 2017, 05:08:16 AM »
Yeah, you've got to love the storylines these match-up created. First we got two underdogs winning their first rounds, resulting in genki girl vs genki girl and grumpy guy vs grumpy guy. Now we have two younger siblings going up against eachother. Shanna is creating one hell of an underdog tale while Takumi is trying to prove his worth by avenging his older siblings. The match-ups haven't been this good since Chrom vs Ephraim.

Also lucked into Cecilia on my last Infantry Tower run so RIP ReBHeB and second Nov Tenth Stratum quests.

I used Lunatic Chain Challenge to complete those defeat x with y quests in one go while leveling up my new Leon.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #944 on: November 10, 2017, 07:24:21 AM »
Maybe Shanna's newfound popularity will bring us some FE6 characters! Or maybe not, her popularity comes from being one of the best skill fodder in the game. That and being part of Roy's wacky harem- though it'd be nice if they added the rest of just them, another Dancer and Horse Archer to make the meta even healthier. Or they could remind everyone of how much they hate Thea by adding her and giving her a skill that only allows you to move her like 50% of the time.

Anyway, looking forward to the Feh Channel. It's been kind of a dead month so far. Placing my bets on Hero Fest 3. There will probably be a new character banner too, but odds are they won't include it in the video and just have it surprise it out of nowhere. I'd put my money on it being the Dawn Brigade to maximize butthurt, Micaiah's the last lord not in the game (since Thracia doesn't exist).