Author Topic: Shining Resonance Refrain Announced For PlayStation 4

Grainofariver

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Shining Resonance Refrain Announced For PlayStation 4
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 12:23:59 AM »
I mean, it's not like Phantasy Star even remotely resembles the turn-based JRPGs it began as, so it's not like Shining Force is the only franchise that got completely altered for the sake of financial gain.
Uh, except Phantasy Star afterwords was both consistant, and good.
I respectfully disagree. Better than Shining I'll give you, but I don't think Phantasy Star has produced anything particularly stand-out since the original PSO.

Hopefully though we can all come together and mourn the loss of Camelot, forever resigned to making tennis and golf games after somebody thought it was a good idea to try and cram the content of two 20-35 hour games into a single 15-20 hour experience.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 12:31:17 AM by Grainofariver »
I like crackers... but only the good kind.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 12:34:19 AM »
I mean, it's not like Phantasy Star even remotely resembles the turn-based JRPGs it began as, so it's not like Shining Force is the only franchise that got completely altered for the sake of financial gain.

Uh, except Phantasy Star afterwords was both consistant, and good. It's not like Shining, which has been through a myriad of gameplay style changes, none of which ever seem to stand out, and often can be assumed to be chasing well-established genre trends.

Except for the times it wasn't like Phantasy Stars Zero and Nova.

Hopefully though we can all come together and mourn the loss of Camelot, forever resigned to making tennis and golf games after somebody thought it was a good idea to try and cram the content of two 20-35 hour games into a single 15-20 hour experience.

I won't mourn Camelot since their 20-35 hour games tend to end up like Beyond the Beyond or the Golden Sun games more than anything.

However, I will mourn the unfortunate passing of the OG Shining series artist Hiroshi Kajiyama (also Suikoden V's artist Kaori Fujita; goddamn this has been a rough year).

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/07/19/the-suikoden-v-and-golden-sun-illustrators-have-sadly-passed-away/
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 06:44:52 AM »
So I got the platinum on this game yesterday. My overall thoughts? Game was enjoyable but has more than a couple of really stupid design decisions that game developers were supposed to know better than by the PS3 era (e.g., non-active party members not getting exp). It was enjoyable overall, but I will probably forget I have played the game at all in a week or two as it was not particularly memorable (for good or bad reasons).

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 09:30:33 AM »

Uh, except Phantasy Star afterwords was both consistant, and good. It's not like Shining, which has been through a myriad of gameplay style changes, none of which ever seem to stand out, and often can be assumed to be chasing well-established genre trends.

Hey, I really liked Phantasy Star Zero. It was PSO portable.

Never knew Phantasy Star Nova was a thing, though...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 12:25:02 PM »

Hey, I really liked Phantasy Star Zero. It was PSO portable.

Never knew Phantasy Star Nova was a thing, though...

It was made by tri-Ace and was a God Eater/Monster Hunter clone that never left Japan which should tell you everything you need to know about it.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Grainofariver

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2018, 05:18:07 PM »

I won't mourn Camelot since their 20-35 hour games tend to end up like Beyond the Beyond or the Golden Sun games more than anything.

However, I will mourn the unfortunate passing of the OG Shining series artist Hiroshi Kajiyama (also Suikoden V's artist Kaori Fujita; goddamn this has been a rough year).

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/07/19/the-suikoden-v-and-golden-sun-illustrators-have-sadly-passed-away/
I enjoy Golden Sun and TLA, though I have no idea what the hell they were thinking when approaching Dark Dawn. I nonetheless wonder whether or not they are happy, going from Shining Force and Golden Sun to exclusively sports games. Seems a sad fate to me, but then, different strokes: might be they just really enjoy golf and tennis.

Cancer is the worst. From what I've gathered, Fujita didn't do any video-game work outside of Suikoden V, so that must've been one hell of a deep end to start with. All things considered, I think she did a pretty good job, even if the MC looks like a dingus.
I like crackers... but only the good kind.