Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Your favorite basic weapons
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 08:05:06 PM »
Not really sure what they were aiming for when they made his weapons work that way but yeah....

Rule of Cool.

That being said, Lloyd Bannings of Trails of the Blue/Zero fame.
« Last post by Agent D. on Today at 06:50:42 PM »
Great Axe's have a special place in my heart for the sheer mayhem they can cause, but I've always had a soft spot for suikoden's 2 main protag and his tonfa. I personally can't recall a game outside of nioh atm where those are used by the main protag.

Skies of Arcadia, with bonus points for also being a Cutlass.
I mean he wields them SOMEWHAT like tonfa, but they are just cutlasses. Not really sure what they were aiming for when they made his weapons work that way but yeah....
General Discussions / Re: PS4 or Vita?
« Last post by Rvenes on Today at 06:32:21 PM »
my choice is ps4! and I think it's the best. but to be honest, I haven't tried vita :D
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 06:16:59 PM »
Great Axe's have a special place in my heart for the sheer mayhem they can cause, but I've always had a soft spot for suikoden's 2 main protag and his tonfa. I personally can't recall a game outside of nioh atm where those are used by the main protag.

Skies of Arcadia, with bonus points for also being a Cutlass.
« Last post by Limlight on Today at 05:20:10 PM »
The wife and I went and saw Incredibles 2 last night. We loved it even though I still think the first one is a bit better. Definitely worth the 14 year wait.
« Last post by Dincrest on Today at 11:14:47 AM »
Even the most basic weapons are stylized like crazy in video games, comic books, movies, etc.  On my most recent trip to India, I visited a kalari (dojo) where they teach kalari-payattu (an ancient Indian martial art that's possibly the influence for the animal-based subsets of kung-fu) and was shown demonstrations of both hand-to-hand techniques and weapons.  Two of the weapons I saw were the chakra and the urumi (basically a whip-sword.)  Both were rather plain looking in terms of style, but quite effective when used properly. 

Watching the guy wield the urumi was wild!  That is such a complicated weapon to wield, since you can seriously injure yourself with it if you lost control.  It's handled more like a whip, but because it has a heavier blade than a whip's leather tail, it requires modified technique. 

In Indian combat, chakram are a throwing weapons somewhat comparable to Japanese shurikens.  Warriors would often carry loads of chakram.  In the Indian comics I read, a warrior would spin a chakra on his finger then let it fly.  FWIW: the word "chakra" literally means circle in Sanskrit and "chakram" is plural. 

Coming back to the topic, along with the staff (as mentioned with McDohl because it's rare for an RPG protagonist to wield that instead of a sword) I can dig a good pair of knives or daggers.  Nothing flashy, but quite effective in rendering multiple strikes in quick succession. 

« Last post by Agent D. on Today at 09:44:15 AM »
Greataxes, greatswords, and gloves/barehanded. The first 2 are more for impressive numbers so I like them in turn based games or games that don't require a lot of input for attacks, while gloves generally have awesome combo potential and speed while still allowing for stupidly impressive damage. Also barehanded options sometimes allow for countering which I like using when possible.
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 03:22:05 AM »
^ Cool choice Starmongoose. I hadn't really considered style and apparel when making this thread.

Generally speaking, most weapons only really care about killing things being naughty in your sight. After all, when you get right down to it, a thrown Barrel is a good as a power grid draining Destructo Ray at destroying giant robots. After that, style is all you really have.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Fire Emblem: [s]Tree[/s] Three Houses
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 03:15:01 AM »
(i.e. looks like Archers can counter at 1 Rng).
This is good to hear as that's been a common complaint for the class for a long time. The lack of 1 range is a big a big reason I'm not a fan of the class. I Ioved using archers in Echoes though thanks to 1 range and all the extra range boosts plus movement you get when you promote.

Oh man. Here we go, here comes the Archer discussion. [sperg]

The Archer's (and by extension, the Sniper, and similar Bow using classes) main problem has always been in its implementation rather than design. Bows are too weak and don't do enough to justify not having Enemy Phase action beyond specific set ups. Early game Archers' base stats are usually bad to awful, and don't get good enough growth rates to compensate. They're often also underleveled, and don't even get a Thief style exp gain bonus to help at all. They compete directly with Magic (which hit weaker defenses and are more specialized classes to begin with), and ubiquitous Hand Axes/Javelins. And there's usually a later Sniper or Bow Knight who can do a better (if at least passable) job than the starting Archer could ever hope to do.

Take for instance FE 8. Your starting Archer is Neimi who joins in Chapter 3 as a Level 1 Archer with 17 HP, 4 Str, 5 Skl, 6 Spd, 4 Lck, 3 Def, 2 Res and 5 Con, who compared with your initial Level 3 Staffbot Moulder from Chapter 2 and his 20 HP, 4 Str Mag, 6 Skl, 9 Spd, 1 Lck, 2 Def, 5 Res and 9 Con, gets utterly stomped in everything but Luck. Likewise, Bows in FE8 are roughly as strong as Swords, but only have Killer, Brave, Longbow and Nidhogg as non-standard weapons compared to Swords and their Armor/Wyrmslayers/Zambato, Lancereavers, Wind/Rune Swords, etc. on top of their two standard types. The 2x effective damage multiplier doesn't help much either (nor the general lack of flying enemies in FE8), nor does the Sniper exclusive skill Sure Strike (which guarantees the attack will hit; on a class that generally doesn't have trouble hitting things). And of course her two Promotions can be covered by Innes and Gerik (the former of which is already a Sniper).

I could go on with the many other examples from many other games, but generally speaking, Archers in the older games have been generally undervalued by the devs way too aggressively. If your Archers had decent stats or a way to stand out from all the other ranged options beyond being anti-flier (especially in games where there aren't many fliers around), you'd get something worthwhile (see also: Fates; Echoes is a weird case where there aren't a whole lot of options to begin with, stats generally suck on them, and Gaiden lacked anti-air, nevermind enemies that counted as Flying, but who can argue with a 8 Move Bow Knight with 1~5 Range and a fully Forged Mastered Killer Bow in hand?, especially if they had been a Dread Fighter at some point).
[/sperg]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10