Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Things you can't bear in a JRPG
« Last post by Arvis on August 09, 2018, 10:17:03 AM »
^How about a JRPG where the fate of all life isn't at stake? Allowing both the solution and reasons for fighting to be more unique, and creatively tied to our heroes that we spend so much time getting to learn about and struggling alongside? Eh? Ehhhhhh?

...Yeah, you're right, stupid idea, forget I said anything...

LOL, some of my favorite RPGs do this, like Trails in the Sky 1 and Cold Steel 1.  Their sequels tend to swing pretty close to "the fate of all life is at stake", but still.
« Last post by Dincrest on August 09, 2018, 10:05:10 AM »
The best instance of "the power of love" was in Billy & Mandy's Big Boogey Adventure when Irwin uses the power of love to save Mandy from the Boogeyman. 

https://youtu.be/8s8VC4kmoyE?t=2715 (watch from here till 47:30.)

The conversation between Billy and Grim about the power of love around 45:44 still makes me LOL. 

« Last post by Mickeymac92 on August 09, 2018, 09:58:15 AM »
^How about a JRPG where the fate of all life isn't at stake? Allowing both the solution and reasons for fighting to be more unique, and creatively tied to our heroes that we spend so much time getting to learn about and struggling alongside? Eh? Ehhhhhh?

...Yeah, you're right, stupid idea, forget I said anything...

As for things I can't bear in RPGs? I think I already said difficulty spikes a while back, but even more than those, I dislike any sort of time-pressure in games, especially if it means missing out on whole swaths of content. I can tolerate them in some forms, but the more it's tied into overall progression and used to justify multiple playthroughs or guides, the more it becomes a problem for me. I prefer to get everything I can on the first playthrough, and if that means missing out on important character moments because I didn't follow every obscure step down to the letter, or it becomes incredibly stressful every minute I'm playing the game, then it's just not fun anymore. I don't play games just to dump time down the drain, I want to experience new and interesting worlds. If I'm on a second playthrough, then it's not new anymore, and if I'm utilizing a guide, then I'm living through someone else's experience, not making my own.
« Last post by Arvis on August 09, 2018, 09:34:47 AM »
The power of love and friendship is still THE way to defeat the big-bad.  It was cheesy ~20 years ago and it's still cheesy now.

I see what you mean here, of course, but what's the alternative?  Winning because you have a better weapon?  Defeating the villain because your violence is more violent than his violence?  LOL
It's a tough one. :)
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Arvis on August 09, 2018, 09:31:33 AM »
I should also mention it came at a time when I had even less free time than I do now, two roommates, and was helping plan my wedding.  So I was dropping RPGs all the time, especially if they didn't immediately grab me.

Cold Steel 2
Spoiler: show
Yeah, so McBurn lived up to the hype.  He actually survived my Gaius Win Button strategy.  I couldn't believe it!  I guess Gaius' wind just fanned McBurn's flames.  But Delay Rean put out the fire easily.  McBurn muttered something after Gaius wrecked his face, so I knew his next turn would be his uber move.  Good thing he never actually got another turn.
I definitely loved seeing Laura's dad show up and be hilariously awesome.  What I don't necessarily love (or hate, I'm ambivalent) is how every single bad guy just gets back up after Class VII defeats them.  ALL of them.  Without exception.  Even Pedo Bait Altina was able to scurry off.  It's kind of annoying.  But on the flip side, it also makes sense that this ragtag group of students can't actually fully defeat these Top 1% fighter types (even with the power of friendship).
« Last post by Frostillicus on August 09, 2018, 09:23:11 AM »
6 hours in and I have no opinions about Skies of Arcadia that aren't glaringly obvious, but I still want @Frostillicus to be aware of it

When I tried to play this back in the day, it was so hideously ugly to look at and clunky to play that I gave up after 1 hour.  So feel free to share these obvious opinions so I know what I missed.

LOL It can be a slog at times, and no, it isn't the prettiest, but I still personally enjoyed it. It gets better, or at least a bit more interesting, as it goes. People spoiled on the fluidity of more modern RPGs/games may dislike it's archaic feel, but I think it's worth it.
At the least @Rucks , if you end up hating it, you'll be able to sell it for a pretty penny.
« Last post by Dincrest on August 09, 2018, 06:05:21 AM »
I probably said this before in both this thread and others, but it hasn't escaped my notice that some of my gripes are ones I've been harping about since circa 2000.  You would think that in the almost 20 years since then, some of these would have been resolved. 

But no, there are still games on portable/handheld systems these days that don't have anywhere/anytime saving or at least a quicksave.   

I probably also mentioned somewhere else that I'm not a fan of voiced cutscenes that don't have subtitles.  Sometimes the recording quality isn't mixed/mastered properly and the voices sound muffled or are too low compared to the music and sound effects, so I can't tell what they're saying. 

I'm also still surprised that such things as "walkthrough required to compensate for vague plot direction and/or uncover convoluted secrets" still exist.  I remember back in the late 1990s and early 2000s, some games would plant secrets so obscure that they were basically there *to* sell strategy guides.  But that was ~20 years ago and the biz has changed. 

The power of love and friendship is still THE way to defeat the big-bad.  It was cheesy ~20 years ago and it's still cheesy now.

Fast forwarding to today, I know I've said this ad nauseam to the point where it's irritatingly annoying, but my main gripes for the current HD era of gaming are text fonts in menus and dialogue boxes that are ridiculously small with no way to make them bigger and menu interfaces that, while stylish, aren't ergonomically functional.  With today's technology, why isn't there a way to increase font sizes in games?  A little indie game like Echoes of the Fey: Episode 2 gives me a menu option to increase font size, yet bigger budget games from big name developers still don't.  http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Echoes_of_the_Fey/index2.html

« Last post by Der Jermeister on August 08, 2018, 09:48:34 PM »
@Ex I pretty much agree with all your points.

Another thing I'd add, personally, is not knowing the identity of all 27 True Runes in the Suikoden franchise, before the "infinite universe" BS they pulled with Tierkreis and the PSP game with untranslated subtitle.
« Last post by Starmongoose on August 08, 2018, 08:45:24 PM »
*Bows* I have much to learn.
« Last post by Aeolus on August 08, 2018, 07:06:28 PM »
Or do you want me to gush about the music, too?

Please, gush all over our TitS.

Belated, but fixed.

Your Innuendo-fu needs work young grasshoppa.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]