Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on February 11, 2018, 08:01:45 PM »
Been puttering about in Warframe, and while I probably should and could move on to the Outer Solar System...I keep getting distracted by:

Void Fissures where I can get Prime Parts and Blue Prints

Endless missions that give me more Void Relics to open in Void Fissures

Alert Missions with special rewards

Boss Grinding for Rare Drops

Making new equipment

Grinding New Equipment

Mod collecting and Upgrading

PvP

Syndicate Missions

And now I just joined a Clan. Which gives me access to the Dojo, and possibly exclusive equipment that I really wanted, depending on how far along this clan is. I don't actually know, I just accepted the first clan invite I got...

I think I'm in for the long haul, boys & girls...
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Things you can't bear in a JRPG
« Last post by Chronix112 on February 11, 2018, 05:36:46 PM »
How about games where they have  visible encounters, but the enemies are so fast that you practically have to be near the end of the area to escape them.

edit:  If you escape the battle  the enemy just blinks for a very short bit, and then attack you again.
« Last post by Der Jermeister on February 11, 2018, 05:30:13 PM »
There are other RPGs with visible encounters that do them somewhat poorly, like Grandia and the SaGa games, where enemies charge you regardless of strength.
« Last post by Dincrest on February 11, 2018, 04:53:34 PM »
I'm okay with random battles, since they make it easier to grind if need be.  (I'm not a fan of excessive grinding, but sometimes you have to.)  However, being thrust into a battle every 3 seconds is excessive so the encounter rate needs to be balanced.  Wild Arms 2 had a nice mechanic where, if you were about to go into an encounter with lowbie enemies, an exclamation mark would appear over the avatar's head and you could press a button to avoid it. 

And let me tell you, Lufia: Ruins of Lore had visible encounters and made me wish for random encounters instead because it was done in the most maddening way possible.  This RPGFan review says it better than I could: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/lufia_rol/index2.html

Even straightforward, basic RPG action is terrible in LROL. The game sports a very basic overworld approach, in which all enemies are visible at all times and, theoretically, avoidable. In reality it isn't so cut and dry. Whenever you move, the monsters on the map move as well, except they seem to know where you are going. Have you ever played hide and go seek with someone who knows exactly where all the hiding spots are? You will with LROL; the enemies cheat all over the place. Combine this with the fact that some enemies can move 2 spaces for every 1 you take, and that they re-spawn when you leave the area and return, and you have an exercise in frustration.

Single-Player RPGs / Re: Horizon Zero Dawn
« Last post by Monsoon on February 11, 2018, 04:13:58 PM »
The awards feature was released in 3 parts from January 23rd through 25th. They would’ve been on the sidebar for about a week following the 23rd.

And the discussion in Discord wasn’t terribly lengthy or even organized into its own channel. It was easy to miss. I saw the most discussion of the awards on the Facebook page. I don’t think anyone made a forum post about them, which is a little unusual.
« Last post by Aeolus on February 11, 2018, 01:54:13 PM »
We had this entire discussion and more on Discord about 2-3 weeks ago when they went up.

Well, excuuuuuuse me Princess! for not getting with the times and getting on Discord. And I've actually been checking the front page for it too. Yuck.

Being a smart ass aside, yeah, I see it now. Goddamn P5 was apparently the only game RPGFan played (though at least you guys on the staff let NieR:Automa win best story instead of also just handing it over to P5).

My thoughts on the year are, Breath of the Wild is the shakeup Zelda needed and Persona desperately needs, especially since its actually facing serious competition for once from Falcom's Cold Steel and Tokyo Xanadu. Retrogaming also got some love from Romancing SaGa 2 and the port of M&L 1 plus the remake of FE Gaiden. I would've loved to have given Horizon, Berseria or Ys VIII a shot, but I still haven't busted my PS4 out of its box yet because I'm still neck deep in the Switch. XBC2 still managed to be a good game in spite of itself, but could not honestly hope to win much since its mistakes were pretty fucking glaring. But that's about the size of my experiences for the year due to work being brutal torture and getting mired in Gatcha Hell.

Also you philistines didn't even acknowledge the Zwei games.
« Last post by MonCapitan2002 on February 11, 2018, 01:05:31 PM »
I fucking hate random battles and I think they should remain in the past where they belong.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Ni No Kuni 2 Revenant Kingdom announced!
« Last post by MonCapitan2002 on February 11, 2018, 07:41:25 AM »
I am definitely looking forward to this wonderful looking game.
« Last post by ScottC on February 11, 2018, 05:38:00 AM »
We had this entire discussion and more on Discord about 2-3 weeks ago when they went up.
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Scum's Wish (Kuzu no Honkai) -- it's kind of amazing
« Last post by Ramza on February 11, 2018, 01:18:15 AM »
*bump*

because Amazon discontinued their premium channel "Anime Strike," Scum's Wish is now available to all Amazon Prime users at no additional cost.

So like ... go watch it. Seriously.

Also ... I picked up the Japanese DVDs for vol.4 and vol.5 because they contained the OST as bonus CDs (in two parts). I also picked up opening and ending theme singles, LE version with DVD music videos. I will probably write reviews of all this on Original Sound Version. Because um ... the music is part of what makes this TV Anime so amazing.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]