Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: The NEW Game Journal
« Reply #510 on: May 27, 2011, 01:59:41 PM »
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth.

Gaining levels since I'm at a dungeon where they can actually respawn.  Lucian, a story relevant character you must send on his way, will be missed for his *one* attack that made him worth it.

I did *EVERYTHING* perfectly, and I'm still on course for the A Ending... but I fucked up this item that gives you a shit load of cash [ie; MP], so I'm blue about that.

Lezard's Tower is a mean, mean dungeon to throw at you; especially considering how easy-breezy everything up till that point is.  Actually fighting Lezard was easy, but getting there feels like an unending war, where you're all like: "oh my fuck, what the fuck and when the fuck does it end?"
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Demon_Princess_Kay

• Banninated
    • View Profile
    • My 1up page
« Reply #511 on: May 27, 2011, 03:30:31 PM »
I got a lot going on and really only have time for an hour of playing a night if I'm lucky.

My life is the same way. It actually took me 2 years to beat P4. Mostly because new games kept coming out and I started those, but even when I buckled down and only played P4 it still took me a while to beat it. I think I had something around 85 or more hours at the end.

Took me about 17 days or so to beat it. It's practically all i did back when it was released. The game blew me away i didn't want to do anything else.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 27, 2011, 04:47:31 PM »
I appreciated strange journey, thought the story of dds1 was great but the take 2 steps before every fight drove me away. I'm willing to give P3 or P4 a chance because they aren't that expensive. I bet I'd take p4 for some reason

Azrael

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 27, 2011, 05:15:54 PM »
They're pretty expensive given their age, but they're pretty rare. I too had that problem with DDS1 and actually never finished it because I found the dungeons to be a total chore, but P4 is completely different. No random encounters and they set it up so that you will even be able to figure out who goes first in battle because you can swing your sword on the field and it's pretty much a whoever gets the first hit on the field gets to go first in battle.

kyuusei

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 28, 2011, 01:49:29 AM »
The dungeons in DDS1 >>> the dungeons in DDS2. Except for the one in DDS2 with that fucking Jailer. But eh, the DDS games are so short, I wasn't that bothered by the encounter rate either.

I got bored during P4 at times. P3 and 4 are great, but playing them back to back, I burned out.

Went back to 999. I need all the endings. It's difficult to stop playing, too.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 28, 2011, 03:01:56 AM »
I picked up a 360 with Alan Wake, Blue Dragon, Dead Rising, Fallout 3 GOTY, Last Remnant and Lost Odyssey today. Total impulse buy.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Azrael

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 28, 2011, 12:23:15 PM »
I just think the balance between dungeon and story in DDS was bad to the the point of frustration for me. I think Persona has a better balance just because you also have to spend time in the real world. I don't know if it's similar in Persona 3 but I know that as early as I am in Persona 4 I already want to get Persona 3 to have when I'm finished.

I already got my first game over in Persona 4 which tells me that I better not underestimate this game at all. Still early in the game and don't entirely know what I'm doing as far as S.Links go or Persona growth, but it seems like I gotta rely more on fusion than training to build stronger Personas. Seems like it'll be a big learning curve for me but I'm greatly enjoying it.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 28, 2011, 01:24:20 PM »
Tartarus gets repetitive after a while, but the music is its saving grace. If the music sucked, Tartarus would have been a lot more tedious to get through. P4 has better dungeons overall, because there's some variety.

kyuusei

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 29, 2011, 03:40:44 AM »
After too much high school sim and socializing, DDS' dungeons and atmosphere were just a welcome change.

I don't care for either Persona's dungeons to be honest. P4's dungeons varied, but the layouts were all similar. Long hallways with random rooms along them. I really liked the video game dungeon though.

DDS1 had great dungeons - layouts, traps, puzzles, etc. They got awfully boring in 2. But Nocturne had the best dungeons. I need to finish the labyrinth.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 29, 2011, 08:31:27 AM »
I jumped headlong into Fallout 3 to see if I'm able to actually finish it this time. About nine hours in although I did my progression differently this time. Last time I just farted about all over the world to explore, and died a lot becuase I was going into places I wasn't ready for. This time I stuck along the "find your dad" quest, went to the radio station and did alot of grinding in DC in the hospital and hotel and it really made a difference. Had very few troubles, except for those stuipid fire ants, which are a pain in the ass.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 29, 2011, 11:32:46 AM »
The first time I played F3 I did the fire ant quest and got murdered right away. I said hell no and put the game down. Went to it a year later and did things right, loved it

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 29, 2011, 02:13:10 PM »
Thanks to an LP I'm currently lurking, I've started up another runthrough of Minish Cap yesterday. Currently looking to see if I can't fuck with some of the event triggers by leaving dungeons after getting their respective items but before finishing them. Currently fucking around in between the mine sequence.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 30, 2011, 12:04:48 AM »
I'm playing Tales of Vesperia and Tales of Phantasia. In Tales of Vesperia, I got through some major plot points, and now I'm headed to the "Final Battle". In Tales of Phantasia, I'm currently exploring Undine's Cave.

I'm tempted to start a Tales Series thread.

I also played a bit of BlazBlue and Fatal Fury Special and wasn't really feeling it with either of them.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

kyuusei

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 30, 2011, 03:24:08 AM »
I just got the bad ending in 999... Awesome.

Azrael

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 30, 2011, 07:38:55 AM »
I just finished April in Persona 4. Still a lot of fun. Still not fully grasping all of the fine details but slowly understanding these Social Links I guess. Also not totally understanding how fusions work and tend to blindly go about it, but I guess it's working for me at the moment. Only problem so far seems to be money. I never seem to have much of it and I don't know how to properly go about using it. I've also found another annoyance. The so-called "Funky Student" on the third floor. What a painfully stereotypical character. I get pissed off every time I look at him. And the two times I've talked to him have left a sour taste in my mouth.