Author Topic: The Merged Final Fantasy XIII-2 Thread

CDFN

• View Profile
Re: The Merged Final Fantasy XIII-2 Thread
« Reply #330 on: September 10, 2011, 08:43:49 AM »
Apparently there was a pre-TGS fan meeting, here are some impressions:

http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=30823412&postcount=287

will consist of Serah, Noel, a captured monster, and sometimes, a guest character. That’s not counting Lightning’s playable sections.

So basically, you'll either be controling Serah, Noel and a monster or a guest (guest meaning the other main characters from XIII no doubt). Lightning will be alone.

There will also be plenty of Lightning.

I really hope that Light joins Serah and Noel later in the game...
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 10, 2011, 11:55:28 AM »
Maybe she's considered a monster ;)

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 10, 2011, 12:20:45 PM »
^She's the final boss fight. Her one-winged half-ass cape is proof.

http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=444252

Fuck everything about this!

Sounds like it's just domain squatting.

What I'm expecting/hoping. If they DO plan one though, then FFXIII-2 better be damn good otherwise SE's finally dead to me.

You mean they aren't dead to you already given their choice of genre for DQX?
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

lavarock

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 10, 2011, 02:54:34 PM »
What I'm expecting/hoping. If they DO plan one though, then FFXIII-2 better be damn good otherwise SE's finally dead to me.

Second that, SE has one chance that is FFXIII-2, I will buy it day one, and it maybe the last SE game I will play

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 10, 2011, 06:20:30 PM »
I have no idea why people who hated FFXIII are getting their hopes up for this game.  Based on what I played at PAX it really looks like more of the same to me.  If your only complaints about FFXIII were the linearity and lack of towns then those issues have been addressed so you might find something to like, but personally I had a laundry list of things I didn't like about XIII.  I don't think I'm even going to get this game (maybe if all the reviews are incredibly positive).

Now Type-0, on the other hand, looks friggin awesome.  Giving up on S-E because of XIII-2 without even trying Type-0 baffles me...

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 10, 2011, 07:50:46 PM »
You mean they aren't dead to you already given their choice of genre for DQX?

If it turns out great and XI is a single player game, well, who will still care? Hell, it sounds like it's making that MMO jump more gracefully than FFXI did, it just stings more because FFXI was also announced alongside IX and X and you didn't see their lineup devolve purely into 3 series and properties acquired by buying a prominent western publisher/set of developers.

No, in this case it would be one of the more reviled entries in the series not only getting a sequel but (potentially) being turned into a trilogy, likely an impromptu one like you see out of Hollywood for stuff like Pirates of the Caribbean. If the second game somehow manages to be great then it won't really matter that much, but it seems kind of absurd given, say, a proper FFXV would probably do about as well anyway and wipe the slate clean. Well, and the fact there really aren't many alternatives from SE, TGS could well change that though, especially with rumors of a 4 Heroes of Light 2 that came along with those 3DS second circle pad rumors.

I have no idea why people who hated FFXIII are getting their hopes up for this game.  Based on what I played at PAX it really looks like more of the same to me.  If your only complaints about FFXIII were the linearity and lack of towns then those issues have been addressed so you might find something to like, but personally I had a laundry list of things I didn't like about XIII.  I don't think I'm even going to get this game (maybe if all the reviews are incredibly positive).

Now Type-0, on the other hand, looks friggin awesome.  Giving up on S-E because of XIII-2 without even trying Type-0 baffles me...

Well, my biggest issues with FFXIII were the linearity and the fact it felt like 3/4ths of the game was just gearing me up to a fairly bland last 1/4th. Fixing those alone really WOULD help a lot actually, certainly I'm not going to go in expecting a good story or anything. And Type-0... You have a point, but the fact we have no idea how we'll even get it here (maybe they'll just put it on PSP anyway) doesn't engender optimism.

By the way, "dead to me" wouldn't mean I'd avoid their products or anything, more that in my eyes it's just Eidos selling their games with Square Enix slapped on, and with a few FF/KH/DQ games on the side. Not really how I wanted that purchase to unfold, but I guess moving to handhelds primarily AND having sales plummet there would do that. It may well be that once the shift ends for DS -> 3DS and PSP -> PSVita things will turn back around.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:02:18 AM by Eusis »

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 10, 2011, 08:27:12 PM »
I'm expecting a Vita port for Type-0 to happen eventually.

As for XIII-2, I said the same thing earlier in this thread, people who didn't like XIII should really keep their hopes down.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 10, 2011, 08:35:03 PM »
I'm expecting a Vita port for Type-0 to happen eventually.

Even if I don't have the opportunity to play Type-0 on PSP I rather see something new from them to be honest, but that's just me.

As for XIII-2, I said the same thing earlier in this thread, people who didn't like XIII should really keep their hopes down.

I'm not even going to bother with that game. I might buy Versus XIII when is released but they have to show that they actually have a decent game in there, if not, I will not bother with that either.

Hell, I'm more interested in the new Tomb Raider than for Versus XIII right now.

lavarock

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 10, 2011, 09:35:08 PM »
I have no idea why people who hated FFXIII are getting their hopes up for this game.  Based on what I played at PAX it really looks like more of the same to me.  If your only complaints about FFXIII were the linearity and lack of towns then those issues have been addressed so you might find something to like, but personally I had a laundry list of things I didn't like about XIII.  I don't think I'm even going to get this game (maybe if all the reviews are incredibly positive).

Now Type-0, on the other hand, looks friggin awesome.  Giving up on S-E because of XIII-2 without even trying Type-0 baffles me...

Yeah, forgot about Type-0, that game looks good but somehow I am not too hyped about it.  I guess that's because it's a handheld game.  I own a PSP but I don't play it much except on travels.

FF is arguable their only remaining rpg series at the moment on the HD consoles.  And they wrecked the ship with XIII and XIV.  My main complaint with 13 is the plot, character, linearity and lack of rpg elements like towns/shops.  The only fun part of 13 is the part on Pulse where you can explore.  Looking at 13-2, it looks like they are going to fix the later two (I honest don't think the plot can be fixed, I hope it's at least serviceable).   If they screw it again with this game, I really don't see how can they recover from so many failures.  

That to be said, Versus still might be good, when/if it comes out that is.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 09:39:21 PM by lavarock »

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 11, 2011, 09:55:35 AM »
I wont be trying Type-0 because I have no intention of buying a PSP or Vita any time soon, so as far as I'm concerned, they only exist on my PS3. Can't say that "more of the same" is filling me with optimism about FFXIII-2. Not really a fan of auto-battle manager 2010 but maybe they tweaked it just enough to make it more enjoyable for me.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Iron Maw

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 11, 2011, 03:52:06 PM »
I'm pretty optimistic about FFXIII-2, not only working "time-travel" into the game the "right" way, but looks like the Dev staff seriously addressed most issues (pacing, level design structure and lack of player control in general). It's more gameplay focused nature (like FFV and X-2 but not as extreme) will probably sit better most people.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 05:07:35 PM by Iron Maw »

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 11, 2011, 04:19:14 PM »
Some of the things we know are extremely positive, no doubt. The game wont be pushing you forwards the entire time, you can travel back and forth between all the areas at any time and the map of the demo area is already a lot better than anything in XIII. The fact that the main premise is looking for keys to activate the gates indicates that exploration will be the main focus.

Farron

• View Profile
    • Mayonaka Reviews
« Reply #342 on: September 11, 2011, 09:46:55 PM »
I liked XIII a lot so I think I'm good. Although I'm all for a change, so even though I can perfectly enjoy dome corridors I would certainly welcome some exploration, some people, some towns, some meaninful antagonist.

The only thing I'd really like for them to let stay the same is the battle system but it would be better if we could also change th character we are controlling during the battle. Well, as long as it's still fast I'll surely like it.

About complaining about SE, like everyone I also havr lots of complains but at least for recent FF titles they try to keep thigns fresh by not making the recent game just like the predecessor. In all of them I can think of ag least a good thing to talk about even if I don't like the overall package.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 14, 2011, 07:22:23 PM »
Theme song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or9pkEXIuvk

Song is crap imo but the video has some new footage.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 14, 2011, 07:55:10 PM »