Author Topic: Etrian Odyssey V

Lard

• View Profile
Etrian Odyssey V
« on: October 21, 2017, 01:02:05 PM »
Am I the only one playing this?

Nobody else?

As far as party makeup, it seems like you need to almost make a character for every class and switch them out as needed.

Is this on the mark?
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
Re: Etrian Odyssey V
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 01:29:24 PM »
My American 3DS needs repair so I can't play otherwise I would, I love this series.

If that's true about the party thing, that'd be a first. I've gone through all the games so far with a single party

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 02:11:05 PM »
Did your hinge break? My first 3DS literally fell apart.

I'm not sure about the party thing. There seems to be a lot of debate about party makeup online.

I'm only a couple of hours in, so I'm just curious what other people thought. (Yeah, I read the review)

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 02:54:09 PM »
My American 3DS needs repair so I can't play otherwise I would, I love this series.

If that's true about the party thing, that'd be a first. I've gone through all the games so far with a single party

Including the first one? I felt like I absolutely needed a combat party and a farming party in that game.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 03:58:13 PM »

I'm not sure about the party thing. There seems to be a lot of debate about party makeup online.

I'm only a couple of hours in, so I'm just curious what other people thought. (Yeah, I read the review)

Hinge + and charger port is loose so I need to hold it or it won't charge.

@Klutz64 : I may have just grinded my way through it, but yeah, I've never had a secondary party.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 06:59:05 PM »
I always had a second party in EO1-3. I don't remember needing one in EO4, though, but I probably made one anyways, just in case...I liked experimenting with the classes and such. However, I don't understand, are you saying you can only have 1 party per save now? That would genuinely kill it for me if that were the case...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:37:25 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aurian

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 10:04:08 PM »
I bought it for my husband for Xmas, but i am tempted to find him something else and play it myself NOW.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 04:16:52 AM »
My copy just arrived yesterday but it's still in the shrinkwrap. Excited!

thetrueelec

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 06:16:34 PM »
I played the demo and really enjoyed it, will pick it up soon.

Raze

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 12:21:23 PM »
I had about every class to 8 in the demo. Then I decided I should settle on a party and whenever I thought about playing I was..'mmm, but what should my group be?' and hadn't played it since. I'll get to it eventually :p

I'm surprised to hear that's a thing. My DS hinge broke, as did a lot of peoples, so I figured that was something nintendo would address in the 3DS.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 10:18:13 PM »
They seem to be addressing it by making a lot of special editions and variations so people will buy new models.

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 11:02:26 PM »
Am I the only one playing this?

Nobody else?

As far as party makeup, it seems like you need to almost make a character for every class and switch them out as needed.

Is this on the mark?

Was thinking the same! I keep swapping the dragoon and the katana wielder class, according to my needs of more defense or offense. Other than that I'm rocking a pugilist/necromancer/mage/botanist party and it was trouble free till I faced the 1st stratum boss. Need more time to analyze its patterns.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 02:03:50 PM »
EO is one of those franchises I want so badly to like.  But it gets so dang grindy.  Like... intolerably boring levels of grindy.  But it also has a lot to like about it.  *sigh*

The "Untold" spinoffs are more my jam, as I need a story in order to appreciate the progression.  But even then, Untold 1 got so dang boring that even the truly wonderful cast couldn't keep me engaged.  Entering yet another level of yet another dungeon strata with even more crap getting in my way, making every step a painful and frustrating slog, just wasn't fun.  Stop attacking me.  Ease up on the dang FOEs.  Let me progress in your dang game, please!  Even putting it on Casual didn't help.  That honestly made it feel even MORE boring.

I should try and pick it up again.  Watching the story on Youtube would feel cheap, plus I wouldn't be able to make my dialogue choices I love so very very much.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Nel_Annette

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 06:22:09 PM »
I absolutely adore the series, got my copy of EO 5 several days ago. Just waiting until I finish some games I'm currently in the middle of to start. But I'm so excited for a new one.

And Yuzo Koshiro is a musical god. I actually bought the physical soundtrack for 5 several months ago along with the soundtracks to 4, Untold, and Untold 2.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 05:21:12 PM »
Has anyone gotten past the first boss yet? I am getting smoked.