Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Shining Resonance announced for PlayStation 3
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 08:33:08 PM »
At least it's good to see that Media Vision's still kicking and hasn't keeled over and died like various other beloved developers have of late due to the economy.  I liked the Wild ARMs games. 
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 08:50:07 PM »
I hate to say it, but the concept of playing as a complete non-human is actually intriguing

I admire your pro-speciest approach.  ANIMUL RIGHTS!  Draconian rights!!!!

And yeah, that sounds amazing.  I guess no chance of the wonderful weirdos at XSeed or NISA picking it up or is that way "Sega" keeps getting mentioned because they don't do much at all?
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 09:47:30 PM »
I'd assume that if anyone were to localize the game it would be Atlus, what with being owned by Sega now.

But really, who knows what their exact relationship is.  They might not quite have the rights to.

But man, do want this game.  So, so, so want.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 01:43:32 AM »
I hate to say it, but the concept of playing as a complete non-human is actually intriguing

I admire your pro-speciest approach.  ANIMUL RIGHTS!  Draconian rights!!!!

And yeah, that sounds amazing.  I guess no chance of the wonderful weirdos at XSeed or NISA picking it up or is that way "Sega" keeps getting mentioned because they don't do much at all?

Of course, now that I've said it, my inner pessimist is telling me that the whole Dragon MC is a smoke screen for the eventual typical JRPG idiot-hero harem-lead stealth-protagonist. Especially when I look at the "Dragon's" first and last name and think "Dragons typically don't have a first and last name." (also, its a dragon with a sword that's probably going to become the MC's sword once he becomes a real boy).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 02:24:34 AM »
Definitely no need to get excited over a game that will likely never see an English version.

What if I know Japanese? ;)

Honestly, though, I'm on the fence about importing this.  I feel that with Sega owning Atlus now this actually has a good shot at making it over.  Also, the biggest thing holding back the more recent Shining games is that they were on the friggin PSP.  Not an issue here.

I am a little disappointed by the move away from the Valkyria Chronicles-esque system to something more action-y, though.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 02:37:31 AM »

Of course, now that I've said it, my inner pessimist is telling me that the whole Dragon MC is a smoke screen for the eventual typical JRPG idiot-hero harem-lead stealth-protagonist. Especially when I look at the "Dragon's" first and last name and think "Dragons typically don't have a first and last name." (also, its a dragon with a sword that's probably going to become the MC's sword once he becomes a real boy).

Don't say it, don't say it! Not the H-word! ;_;

Kouryuu could very well be some sort of title. That's what I'm choosing to believe: it's a title.

Masakado

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 06:05:41 PM »
The Shining Force games on PS2 area almost universally awful. I hated every single one of them for different reasons.

"DAT'S GAIA'S NOOOOOOVA"

Thanks for the heads-up. I guess it's a good thing I missed out on them then. Instead I think I'll give those Shadow Hearts games a try which everyone is speaking so highly of.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 05:02:05 AM by Masakado »
I'm finally on twitter. If you're a history buff and/or interested in video games history and random rpg stuff, check out @masakadojo.

Reta

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2014, 11:42:02 PM »

Don't say it, don't say it! Not the H-word! ;_;

Kouryuu could very well be some sort of title. That's what I'm choosing to believe: it's a title.
Well, "kouryuu" written with those kanji literally means glimmering/shining/etc dragon. (Probably shining in this case...) In addition, the fact that it's written with kanji at all makes it very likely to be a title and not a first name. You just don't see names that mix kanji and kana like that.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2014, 12:04:35 AM »
Well, "kouryuu" written with those kanji literally means glimmering/shining/etc dragon. (Probably shining in this case...) In addition, the fact that it's written with kanji at all makes it very likely to be a title and not a first name. You just don't see names that mix kanji and kana like that.

Well, no, mixed kanji/hiragana names aren't uncommon at all.  In fact on the contrary I would say that they're quite common.  Mixing kanji with katakana (like was done here), on the other hand, is certainly uncommon but still not at the "you just don't see" level.  There would generally have to be some sort of special reason for it.

I think a more convincing argument is that the dragon appears to have a very western-sounding given name ("Irvan") combined with something obviously Japanese (Kouryuu) and it's not like this is supposed to be a mixed-blood dragon or something...I'm not sure that would even make sense in the setting here, it's a seemingly western fantasy world.  So it probably makes more sense to think of Kouryuu as a title.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2014, 12:50:47 AM »

Well, no, mixed kanji/hiragana names aren't uncommon at all.  In fact on the contrary I would say that they're quite common.  Mixing kanji with katakana (like was done here), on the other hand, is certainly uncommon but still not at the "you just don't see" level.  There would generally have to be some sort of special reason for it.

I think a more convincing argument is that the dragon appears to have a very western-sounding given name ("Irvan") combined with something obviously Japanese (Kouryuu) and it's not like this is supposed to be a mixed-blood dragon or something...I'm not sure that would even make sense in the setting here, it's a seemingly western fantasy world.  So it probably makes more sense to think of Kouryuu as a title.

Yeah, I misread the title when I initially posted my concerns.

That said, seeing Irvan's forehead sword with a hilt and everything alongside the other characters' weapons isn't helping matters at all (at best, it might just be this game's Ring Merging/Pulling Swords Out of Chests/etc. mechanic; at worst, there's going to be some human hands for that sword hilt).

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 02:37:15 AM »
Pardon the double post, but http://gematsu.com/2014/06/shining-resonance-screenshots-artwork

Had to post for that awful Armonics pun.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 06:58:13 AM »
Pardon the double post, but http://gematsu.com/2014/06/shining-resonance-screenshots-artwork

I'm more fixated on them writing "Halbred".

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 02:08:37 PM »

I'm more fixated on them writing "Halbred".

Maybe it's two types of spears that were smithed (ie; bred) together to make the "Halbred".

Reviews on these games are typically mixed, no?  I wonder if Team WildArms can change things up... Either way, things look quite lovely (and graphically, is it just me or does it look a TON like how the new Atelier games look?).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 02:11:32 PM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 02:44:43 PM »
Most importantly, something was officially released in English regarding this so I guess that's some hope.

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 03:12:08 PM »
The Japanese special edition comes with a figure (sculpted by Alphamax), in case anyone is interested. I don't really have a link to the announcement, but it's up on Amiami.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=GAME-0011480