Author Topic: Shining Resonance announced for PlayStation 3

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Shining Resonance announced for PlayStation 3
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2014, 10:04:16 PM »
That being said, I agree with the above in that it's a PS3 title and probably will be localized.  I think the west has gotten most decently budgeted PS3 JRPGs.

I kind of go back and forth on this.  There is one big problem: It's a very late-gen PS3 game.  And the localization process could easily take a year or more.  This is Sega we're talking about so do you really think they've started localizing while it's still under development?  So it becomes reasonable to wonder, what's the PS3 market in the west going to be like in Spring 2016.  More importantly, what does Sega think it will be like...

Though I still think it has a better chance than any of the PSP games did.

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2015, 04:07:19 AM »
So, I've been playing it a bit.  Not sure if anyone's interested in some thoughts.  Especially now that Sony's helping SEGA localize it into Chinese and there might possibly b a chance of a western release. Maybe. Am I being too optimistic?

Firstly, the battle system isn't entirely Tales-esque.  It's not nearly as smooth and fluid.  Maybe it'll get a bit more fluid as I gain more abilities later on, but right now it feels more like Star Ocean, from a smoothness perspective.  I'd also somewhat compare it to Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter; battles take place exactly where you are on screen in the dungeon, no real battle transition.  The characters do have a nice variety of playstyles so far.  

Basically, you have a bar that represents the amount of actions you can take.  Different attack types take up differing amounts of the bar. If you run around the screen or whatever, the bar refills.  If you guard, the bar does not refill, but it does not drain, either.

My main complaint in the battle system is that enemies don't really stagger.  They're just punching bags.  I mean, staggering is a mechanic after hitting them enough times, but so far it seems as if stunning and slowing them is non-existent.  Also, the melee AI is baaaaaad, Sonia seems like she wants to die constantly.  But that's nothing new in ARPGs.  It's a flaw but not one unique to the game.

Graphically, I think it deserves praise for having such complex outfits and not having them clip.  The dragon animation is very smooth as well.

I haven't really gotten far enough to play with relationship values and the dating system.

Oh, and I know this frustrates people so I need to mention it:
There are DLC characters and events.
They are $10 each.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 04:15:16 AM by Cyril »

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2015, 09:09:11 AM »
Oh, and I know this frustrates people so I need to mention it:
There are DLC characters and events.
They are $10 each.

Lololol.

For $10bux I could probably load up on over half of Hyrule Warriors DLC. I guess this game really wants to be a Tales of Game.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2015, 09:37:18 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM9ht_ZxVtk

Skip to the 5 minute mark for actual gameplay.

It's nothing ground-breaking (Tales of Shining, anyone?), but it looks quite solid.  Interesting variety of characters, too.  I'm pretty much sold on it.

lol copyright claim.....why are japaneese develpers so clueless?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2015, 10:00:15 PM »
Strong conservative tendencies?

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2015, 11:25:01 PM »
I've been playing this myself.  I kind of have mixed feelings about it.  The story is entirely too paint-by-numbers.  Evil empire, boy with a mysterious power, yadda yadda.  Though I did like the little role-reversal at the beginning with Sonia rescuing Yuma, but that was entirely too short-lived.  The frequent shifts to check in on what the villains in the evil empire are up too are also pretty annoying.  I know there are going to be people calling this game "too anime" or something, but this particular aspect almost feels more tokusatsu than anime to me.  But in a game I feel like you should be mostly sticking to what's happening around the player...

Yuma is an incredibly annoying protagonist, but at least everyone else seems aware of the fact that he desperately needs to grow a backbone.  I take that as a sign that just maybe we'll see some character development, but maybe I'm being too optimistic.

I just got to the point where Agnam joins your party.  Man is he over-the-top...I don't even know what to say.

But I'm liking the combat at least.  I love how smooth the transition to battle is.  Attacks come in three types: normal (which you can spam for combos), break attacks, and force (i.e., magic) attacks.  Spamming normal attacks does good damage but will quickly burn up your AP bar.  Break attacks are kind of like heavy attacks but they also have a better chance of inflicting break status.  They do more damage per hit than regular attacks but they also come with big wind-up/cool-downs so their DPS is lower.  Though they won't burn your AP bar as fast and in some cases you can combo into them.  But where things get interesting are the force attacks.  There's a much bigger variety of these, some of them are melee attacks and some are like more traditional magic attacks.  Force attacks burn MP but not AP.  In fact your AP will actually recover while using them.  And much like in Tales games hitting the enemies with regular attacks recovers a bit of MP.  So mixing force attacks and regular/break attacks lets you sustain some pretty aggressive combos.  Oh, a lot of these attacks can be dash-canceled too, something I only realized recently and am still exploring the implications of.  I'll agree with Cyril that the enemies don't really react enough to being hit, though.

For all its hype and importance to the plot, Yuma's dragon transformation feels kind of worthless to me.  Sure you do more damage as a dragon, but the comes at the expense of mobility.  And you can't keep it up for very long before you lose control and start killing your teammates.

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2015, 04:44:33 PM »
Who cares about the story. I'd pay good money for Tony Taka alone. Too bad that the ps2 shining game that got localized cut out my all time favorite female voice actress... a man can dream.

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2015, 07:12:13 PM »
Pretty sure you're on a site called RPGFan.

Caring about the story, to some extent, is why we're all here.

lavarock

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2015, 02:55:22 AM »
Can someone fill me in the probability of this getting localized? Not that familar with the shining franchise.  I played a few during the PS2 era but SEGA seems to stop localizing them. 

Thinking about picking up the Chinese version on Play-Asia.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2015, 03:03:48 AM »
I want to snakily say 'zero', but I guess with Sega having purchased Atlus (who have a great localizing team) and this being on the PS3 (previous games in the series were on PSP, and we know how popular that was in the west) I guess there might be a slight chance.  Still, Sega has been shit about localizing anything lately and they haven't given this series some any love in the west in a very long time...

lavarock

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2015, 03:07:53 AM »
That's what I thought... The game looks good and I'm hungry for another Action JPRG on the PS3 after Xillia 2... I guess will go with the Chinese version then.  Hopefully this sees a western release despite how unlikely it could be, we'll see...

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2015, 09:58:35 AM »
For all its hype and importance to the plot, Yuma's dragon transformation feels kind of worthless to me.  Sure you do more damage as a dragon, but the comes at the expense of mobility.  And you can't keep it up for very long before you lose control and start killing your teammates.

I choose to believe that this is the real reason why they quickly backed down from having a Dragon for a protagonist and not because they were simply trying to check off one more JRPG Trope checkbox (even if that, by all other impressions, is exactly what they did).

I want to snakily say 'zero', but I guess with Sega having purchased Atlus (who have a great localizing team) and this being on the PS3 (previous games in the series were on PSP, and we know how popular that was in the west) I guess there might be a slight chance.  Still, Sega has been shit about localizing anything lately and they haven't given this series some any love in the west in a very long time...

Hey man. We're totally getting a Yakuza game again (even if its Yakuza 5).

I'd say there's actually a slightly more than a slight chance.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2015, 12:55:26 PM »
Here's the funny part: It's Sony who is localizing Yakuza 5, not Sega.  Sony did this thing where they asked people if there were any games that hadn't been localized which they would like localized, then promised to work with the devs/publishers on it.  Sega's role here is that they're letting Sony localize their game for them...

Grainofariver

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2015, 10:30:24 PM »
Sony localizes Yakuza 5 for the west.
Sony localizes Shining Resonance for China.

Come on Sony, you're so close - it's right there, I know you can do this...
I like crackers... but only the good kind.

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2015, 04:20:37 AM »
Sony's been pushing pretty hard into China recently, it makes sense they'd specifically choose to localize some games for them that they think will sell.  Not so much the west.

As much as I want to be optimistic, trusting Shining Resonance to release in the west from Sony is just not going to happen.  I'd say Atlus or not at all.  Sony is just too cautious with eastern games; they didn't even risk localizing Demon's Souls despite it already being localized, albeit rather badly, and all of the acting in English for the Asian release.