Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Single-Player RPGs / Re: RPG Fan Decides My Next Game
« Last post by Aeolus on Yesterday at 07:05:48 PM »
I played the quite lengthy demo of BD when it came out.  The battle system is awesome.  I have no reservations about that part.  Just the infamous grind is all I'm worried about.

There's not a lot of grind to the game. Just play with encounters on until you finish your first lap through and then just manage your Exp/JP while boss rushing the rest of it.

What you should be concerned about is your button mashing skillz. You need to hammer fast and furious to unlock the bad end (and trust me when I say, don't be shy about this, you'll be given a litmus test immediately thereafter to see if you are ready, and the game will kindly restore you to the point before your decision to take the game off the rails once you've obtained said bad end, with loot and all).
« Last post by Arvis on Yesterday at 10:28:05 AM »
I played the quite lengthy demo of BD when it came out.  The battle system is awesome.  I have no reservations about that part.  Just the infamous grind is all I'm worried about.
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Hathen on Yesterday at 03:04:01 AM »
I also got my shiny QR seal and immediately upgraded it. Honestly as nice as it is to have it I doubt Subaki will lose much value as QR fodder, too many units benefit from QR for constantly shifting the seal around to be a viable option (even putting aside general laziness and hating needing to micromanage seals all the time). Just amongst the 5*s I have I think like 10 units who would make good use of the skill, and probably at least half of them would make good use of the lower HP threshold on QR3.

For now I'll probably stick it on New Year Corn to make him useful through the Tempest. If I ever bother building him I'll probably make him into a Bonfire/Ignis tank like Leon is intended to be, but since the Leon I have ate a Klein it's not like it'd be redundant for me.

Also interesting new banner. I hope in the future they refine the idea and instead make a banner without 5*s and only 4* focuses, but at a cheaper orb cost. Nevertheless I dropped 15 orbs into it and came out with 4* Frederick, 4* Reinhardt (-ATK of course), 3* Wrys, 3* Subaki, and a surprise 5* Laslow. A random 5* is nice even though he sucks, but I got the few Focus units I didn't really want. Would've liked Roy/Hinata/Abel/Barst/Fae/Klein for their skills, or Oscar because I still haven't pulled him once.

Honestly I don't even know why Laslow and Rebecca are even on this banner. Silver Weapons suck, nobody cares about Axebreaker and Darting Blow is one of those skills you only use if you nothing else but a flood of Florinas.

Oh well, I might drop more orbs on this banner if whatever comes on the anniversary is uninteresting (though I doubt they won't go crazy and give us OP Brave versions of Marth and Hector or something).
Never noticed that. You'd think they'd also make it accessible via the generic setting menu. Anyway there hasn't been a twitch announcement since I changed my settings, but it'll probably do the trick. Thanks.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Secret of Mana: The Remake!
« Last post by Aeolus on Yesterday at 02:00:51 AM »
There was a live stream yesterday. Totally in Japanese and littered with clips from both Secret and games decidedly less Mana-ish than Seiken Densetsu 2. They did discuss SoM's 'darkness swept the troubled development' and two new clips of the remake were shown (the Goblin Stew segment at least will be set to electric guitar riffs; no idea on whether every instance of Dwarf Village Matango music will be in the same butt-electronica; also the World Map has a whole lot more detail to it; even though the sparseness of the original version made it feel larger than it really was; sadly that feeling doesn't seem to be present in the remake).

All-in-all, not the most generous of livestreams.
« Last post by Aeolus on Yesterday at 12:36:59 AM »
^Shut up. Bravely Default has the best battle system in a turn-based game I've ever played, hands down.

While unconventional, I'm giving that win to Ar Tonelico 2.

Hell, I'm even going to edit an explanation here.
AT2 has a Dark Souls battle system where even if you are facing an impossible challenge due to a difference in stat, if you have the skills, you can turn everything around and win.
(I know, sorry for 'dark souling' but it's the best representation of this)

Which is good because it would be impossible to finish otherwise (or was that an optional boss fight? I forget).

Also, lol at bringing up the Elemental Dragons re:BD's combat system (proceeds to make at least one character a Ninja, Umeki everything forever).

Bravely Default was more about picking out the most broken Job combinations at the time and auto-battling everything.
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Aeolus on Yesterday at 12:28:07 AM »
Guess my +Atk Tiki gets to dine on a Tiki Sandwich followed by a promotion then.

Also, lolololol wrt QR5 (I wonder what QR8 looks like on Hector; guess there's only one way to find out ). Thank god actual Breaker skills still have priority over QR (in fact, this might have just made my Eliwood even more valuable).

And yeah, New York Corrin doesn't really bring anything new to the table, but this really isn't any surprise (its been more odd to have units like not-Zelgius, Arden and Joshua join the party due to them bringing things to the table). I'm going to either promote then feed the 5 star one to him or just take the one I'm using now and feed to the incoming 5 star version, but I'm not letting him eat a 5 star Leon to make him into Leon-lite (especially since I already have a 5 star Leon, and a good one at that).
« Last post by Annubis on January 17, 2018, 09:46:02 PM »
^Shut up. Bravely Default has the best battle system in a turn-based game I've ever played, hands down.

While unconventional, I'm giving that win to Ar Tonelico 2.

Hell, I'm even going to edit an explanation here.
AT2 has a Dark Souls battle system where even if you are facing an impossible challenge due to a difference in stat, if you have the skills, you can turn everything around and win.
(I know, sorry for 'dark souling' but it's the best representation of this)
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Aeolus on January 17, 2018, 08:38:23 PM »
Or that one Genesis game that came out a few years back that was basically an indie devs' Deviant Art OC adventures through Godwin's notes and was sexually predatory enough to sound like it came from a big time Hollywood movie exec (and also littered with mismatched assets stolen from wherever the devs could nick them from).

Are you talking about Pier Solar and the Great Architects? Because that...doesn't sound like it, but it's the only recent Genesis RPG I know of...

I don't have the screenshot of the sequence, but there was definitely a house full of NPCs that were endorsing the virtues of parental relationships with their own children (of the sex having variety), and another set of screenshots showing the HD uprezzing done on the later versions (said screenshots shows a house with like 4 or 5 different generations of graphical clarity mashed together).

But yeah, that's the game.

One of my problems with indie game devs is stuff like this and Black Sigil where they really want to (re)make an early 90s era videogame but completely miss the point and end up with this bloated mess instead. The other side of this coin being devs who want to make a modern day game but don't have the budget/manpower to do so, and end up falling back on Pixel graphics to do the work for them while billing it as 'retro' (admittedly, there's quite a number of devs who actually have the skills and dedication to making a full fledge game under these conditions, but these have a tendency to end up as very avant-grade experiences). And hell, sometimes you end up with both like Zeboyd Games and their catalog.
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on January 17, 2018, 08:26:42 PM »

...sorry if that sounds like I got too defensive, I was just genuinely shocked at his remark about the combat system, especially since comparing it to FF1 is just straight-up false. Seriously, I don't care that you hate Bravely Default, but don't make shit up just to make it sound bad, man. Not cool. There's a lot of strategy that goes into it, especially with bosses. You can't "just have a tank, Black + White mage, and someone who likes to punch things" when you're dealing with elemental dragons that all needed to be approached differently. Plus, there was just some really cool party combinations you could pull off, and I often felt rewarded for experimenting with the job system. It is such a big part of the game, that I get not liking the game if you don't like the job system. But if that's your thing? If you liked the job system in Final Fantasy V, FFX-2, etc., then I'd say it's worth a shot.

Not even saying it's the 'Greatest game ever!' either, since the shinanigans it pulls in the second half (third act?) really sucked out my enthusiasm for the game. But what I did play was awesome, and I really want to finish it, just so I can experience more of that job system, and the battle system that utilizes it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10