Author Topic: Mega Man X Collections 1 & 2

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Mega Man X Collections 1 & 2
« on: April 13, 2018, 06:23:12 AM »
https://gematsu.com/2018/04/mega-man-x-legacy-collection-1-and-2-launch-july-24-in-north-america-and-europe

Well, at least they're cheap, and only $20 zenny for three really good SuperNES/PS1 era action platformers (and another $20 to remind yourself why Capcom's glory days are long gone; or to find out why if you were born after 2006).

(I'm making a separate thread for this because I don't want to bury the lead on Bulletwitch's revival necroing, plus having a platform to PYF MMX memories/opinions/hot takes at this juncture might not hurt too badly.)

I'll start with this to kick things off:

C-c-combo Breaker! (Also, could've used a third row to show off the Gaia, Shadow and Ultimate Armors and either unarmored X or Alia for the lulz.)
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Man X Collections 1 & 2
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 09:51:58 AM »
Where the heck is my Zero promo artwork?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 07:34:11 PM »
Where the heck is my Zero promo artwork?

If you had bothered to look, you could've found this and more (also, Zero only had two designs during the X series).

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 05:42:16 AM »
The two discs for the physical release makes no fucking sense.  These games are tiny by modern standards.  Both collections should be able to fit on one disc.  It's a criminal waste of our limited resources to manufacture two discs for a collection that would be package together as one product.  Whoever the fuck is that signed off on this decision should be fired.

On that note, I think it's neat that the games are coming out for a new generation to enjoy. 

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 06:09:00 AM »
Yeah, gotta agree with that. The oldest Classic collection had what, the first 8 games on it, plus both the fighting games as unlockables? Though I guess the more recent Legacy Collections only had half that each so they're continuing with that model I guess. That's Capcom for you. At least it has that weird Boss Challenge mode though. I'm looking forward to seeing people trying to fight Infinity Mijinion and Rainy Turtloid at the same time or whatever.

I do wonder if gauging interest in the X series is part of the goal here. We did get Megaman 11 not that long after the releases of those two Legacy Collections. Hm.

Also that image really reminds me how much I didn't like the X8 artist. His character art is okay, but I really prefer the harder edges to X's armor from X-X7 (especially X4 onwards) compared to the "softer" art style the X8 guy did.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 07:51:24 PM »
nothing wrong with x4 or x5. But all that really means is that collection 1 has four good games and 2 has one.  The wheels fell off after 5.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 12:26:39 AM »
I liked X8, but yeah, X6 and X7 are games I'm not exactly keen to revisit. With that said, I'll be getting whatever double pack I saw advertised.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 03:49:14 AM »
nothing wrong with x4 or x5. But all that really means is that collection 1 has four good games and 2 has one.  The wheels fell off after 5.

Collection 1 only has 3 good games. X3 is otherwise saved by the SuperNES MMX engine because it does a lot of things it shouldn't have done. Music was weak, bosses were largely Spray and Slide affairs, too many useless powerups (only the Leg and Armor chips are worth it and the Arm Part charge shot is among the worst in the series) and boss weapons. Playable Zero was clunky but okay and I like the fact that he does eventually get surpassed by X in a game mechanics sort of way, but the Ride Armors were a joke (and frankly, you really should've been able to bring them and Zero into boss battles). There were too many bullet sponge minibosses, and finally most levels felt like they had too much dead air at times (Crush Crayfish's is the most notable example but parts of Neon Tiger's, Blast Hornet's, Tunnel Rhino's and Acid Seahorse's stages felt kinda fillerish at points).

Still a better game than anything on Collection 2 though (I'd put X5 above X3 but no amount of Disco Technorave can absolve the final levels of bringing back Boo Beams or the bullet sponge Purple Devil; nevermind sinking an entire playthrough's worth of upgrades onto Zero before the RNG takes him away).

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 07:34:02 AM »
I have a soft spot for X3, it's the one I played the most as a kid. I just had a lot of fun finding all the crazy power ups the game had, even though a ton of them did end up being superfluous. I also played the PC version which had the PSX remixes of the music which were mostly huge improvements over that stupid grunge guitar obsession the SNES version had.

As for collection 2, I've said this before but I have a love/hate relationship with X6. It's easily the most frustrating entry in the entire metaseries for me because you could tell that if they just had a few more months to work on it it might've been the best X game for the Contra: Shattered Soldier types. They really shouldn't have rushed the damn thing out. Alongside some of the cool ideas BURN TO THE GROUND X7 played with it does make me wish they would instead take the opportunity to try to make X6 and 7: The Good Editions, but that would require actual work on Capcom's part so that won't be happening.

X8 gets a lot more praise than it deserves IMO. Not that it's bad or anything, it's just that I think coming off X7 something that was just barely above-par ended up getting praised as a return to form. X8 had lots of wonky gameplay bits, an unappealing art style and way too many forced vehicle stages. Although it was one of the string of games that featured Domon Kasshu as X before he went off and became a doctor so it does have that.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 12:11:36 PM »
I have a soft spot for X3, it's the one I played the most as a kid. I just had a lot of fun finding all the crazy power ups the game had, even though a ton of them did end up being superfluous. I also played the PC version which had the PSX remixes of the music which were mostly huge improvements over that stupid grunge guitar obsession the SNES version had.

As for collection 2, I've said this before but I have a love/hate relationship with X6. It's easily the most frustrating entry in the entire metaseries for me because you could tell that if they just had a few more months to work on it it might've been the best X game for the Contra: Shattered Soldier types. They really shouldn't have rushed the damn thing out. Alongside some of the cool ideas BURN TO THE GROUND X7 played with it does make me wish they would instead take the opportunity to try to make X6 and 7: The Good Editions, but that would require actual work on Capcom's part so that won't be happening.

X8 gets a lot more praise than it deserves IMO. Not that it's bad or anything, it's just that I think coming off X7 something that was just barely above-par ended up getting praised as a return to form. X8 had lots of wonky gameplay bits, an unappealing art style and way too many forced vehicle stages. Although it was one of the string of games that featured Domon Kasshu as X before he went off and became a doctor so it does have that.

I do have to give credit to X8 for finally doing something with Axel given how much of a waste of space he was in X7 and how gimmicky he was in Command Mission (and also for making somebody other than Sigma the main villain this time around; but then he legit shouldn't have come back for X7 either, he only gets a pass in X6 because having him as a propped up zombie corpse was a perfect analogy for that game on the whole). Making Alia playable was a nice touch (and unfortunately, you couldn't have her be pestered by X at every turn; would've been hilarious if only slightly more obnoxious than what we got), but making two other navigators just to have them as playable Zero and Axel expies was less so (at least they could play up to their male counterparts, poor Alia couldn't wear any fuck ugly Neon Light projectors).

But yeah, the only real reason why anybody really liked X8 was because of all of the steps back it took from Xs 6 and 7 (and to a lesser extent, X5; for one, it let X have his Armor upgrades take effect on the spot rather than only when he completed the set). Unfortunately, it really is a weak game on its own, like if you were playing an MMX style minigame collection or something.

And to be fair to Domon, he stayed until Maverick Hunter X which was the last MMX game made. But then, it'd be kinda hard to get him back for the role, all things considered.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 01:55:52 PM »
I know I'm a minority opinion, but I honestly like X6. Its story is atrocious, but the chip upgrade system is decent, if somewhat game-breaking with the Shadow armor. It has some good music and fun stages. The only downsides I really found to it gameplay-wise were encountering High Max before you had any sub-weapons to use against him, and one of Zero's moves that could quickly send you to your death if you weren't careful.

I also thought X8 was pretty good, but I don't care much for X5 aside from the Gaia and Falcon armors. I'd be game for an X9 should it ever happen. And after that they could call the tenth one XX! I also enjoyed Mega Man X: Command Mission. 

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 02:58:31 PM »
I know I'm a minority opinion, but I honestly like X6. Its story is atrocious, but the chip upgrade system is decent, if somewhat game-breaking with the Shadow armor. It has some good music and fun stages. The only downsides I really found to it gameplay-wise were encountering High Max before you had any sub-weapons to use against him, and one of Zero's moves that could quickly send you to your death if you weren't careful.

I also thought X8 was pretty good, but I don't care much for X5 aside from the Gaia and Falcon armors. I'd be game for an X9 should it ever happen. And after that they could call the tenth one XX! I also enjoyed Mega Man X: Command Mission.

The problem with the chips in X6 was that A) you had to grind Nightmare Souls to unlock the chip slots (especially with X), and B) you had to rescue Repiloids to obtain them and good fucking luck with that as many of those were parked over some asshole pit or spikes with a Nightmare or three practically on top of them, and if the Nightmare got them, you had to reload your save because it was permadeath for that file. Meanwhile, said chips were largely lifted from X5 wholesale, with the only notable change being that you could get them all in a single playthrough rather than picking which ones you wanted (which was a Guide-Dammit thing in X5 because the game never tells you which chip you're getting as chip construction was delayed a stage on top of the first stage not even giving you a chip). But with that said, the chips were mostly a means to allow you to compensate for unarmored X more than anything (because you can get stuck in a run with your main guy Zero turning Maverick and leaving you to face the endgame as either Naked or Falcon Armor X with minimal upgrades).

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 04:36:20 PM »

The problem with the chips in X6 was that A) you had to grind Nightmare Souls to unlock the chip slots (especially with X), and B) you had to rescue Repiloids to obtain them and good fucking luck with that as many of those were parked over some asshole pit or spikes with a Nightmare or three practically on top of them, and if the Nightmare got them, you had to reload your save because it was permadeath for that file. Meanwhile, said chips were largely lifted from X5 wholesale, with the only notable change being that you could get them all in a single playthrough rather than picking which ones you wanted (which was a Guide-Dammit thing in X5 because the game never tells you which chip you're getting as chip construction was delayed a stage on top of the first stage not even giving you a chip). But with that said, the chips were mostly a means to allow you to compensate for unarmored X more than anything (because you can get stuck in a run with your main guy Zero turning Maverick and leaving you to face the endgame as either Naked or Falcon Armor X with minimal upgrades).

Eh, I disagree. I didn't find rescuing the reploids all that difficult, and grinding Nightmare Souls isn't bad thanks to Ground Scaravich's stage. And yes, most of the chips were from X5, but being able to get all of them is definitely an improvement. I like to pimp out the Shadow Armor and lay waste to everything.

To each their own though.