Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality.

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
Re: FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality.
« Reply #1290 on: December 08, 2016, 03:12:48 PM »
I'm probably no good to keep commenting then.  I honestly just don't really sweat this kind of stuff.  I don't feel like I was 'ripped off' now, so added features/tweaks just feels like a bonus at this point.

I'm with you. I loved it when CDPR kept adding to the Witcher and reworking the dialogue translation and re-voicing and adding adding adding. No different here. The game I have makes me happy, and I'll be happier to see it get even better. That's not to say I don't understand people who've already beaten it feeling like 'well I can never have that first play through again,' but I guess I'm not sympathetic because I've been doing this with KH re-releases since the series began :)
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Salt Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: December 08, 2016, 03:25:06 PM »
patching in story content like this kind of just shines the light on said plot holes.

Rather a light shined than be left in the dark.

To each his own, then. And I see what you did there. ;)

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: December 08, 2016, 04:51:49 PM »
This is a pretty interesting take on the story, agree pretty much with what was said here. It will spoil the whole story so beware http://creditconcerto.blogspot.pt/2016/12/final-fantasy-xv-in-honor-of-unseen.html
this guy is WAAAAAAAY overselling the story.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Hidoshi

• Fire in the Thunderclap
  • Administrator
  • Filthy Casual
    • View Profile
    • ConBravo!
« Reply #1293 on: December 08, 2016, 04:53:38 PM »
Is he? Seems like a lot of the ideas here are more exploratory retreads of
Spoiler: show
Final Fantasy VI

eightbitsamurai

• View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: December 08, 2016, 06:13:03 PM »
Agree with Mark, it explains what I like about the plot while explaining what I dislike about it and what was left out.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: December 08, 2016, 06:20:44 PM »

The "transparency in front of objects" patent is owned by Konami: https://www.google.com/patents/US6361438
So that might have something to do with why it doesn't work very well.
Nope, according to Google Patents, they did not pay their maintenance fees, so that patent is no longer valid (and likely hasn't been for years). Not that it would be valid for much longer anyways based on the priority date.

...I can't partake in the FFXV discussion since I haven't played it yet, so I shall jump on the patent comment that no one else cared about! XP

eightbitsamurai

• View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: December 08, 2016, 06:25:16 PM »

The "transparency in front of objects" patent is owned by Konami: https://www.google.com/patents/US6361438
So that might have something to do with why it doesn't work very well.
Nope, according to Google Patents, they did not pay their maintenance fees, so that patent is no longer valid (and likely hasn't been for years). Not that it would be valid for much longer anyways based on the priority date.

...I can't partake in the FFXV discussion since I haven't played it yet, so I shall jump on the patent comment that no one else cared about! XP

Hey I care about it! Thanks for the info, I don't know anything about patents (other than the fact that it's crazy you can patent that).

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: December 08, 2016, 06:31:30 PM »
I rarely replay RPGs so I'll forget this exists until all the patching is done, and then buy it. I am in no hurry, my backlog is insurmountable as is.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: December 08, 2016, 08:37:03 PM »
Final Fantasy VI

it's the verbage he's using theres nothing new, or original, or even new for a FF game, about FF15's story. ive seen it all before in various forms in shounen anime.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 08:39:05 PM by Alisha »

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Hidoshi

• Administrator
  • Filthy Casual
    • View Profile
    • ConBravo!
« Reply #1299 on: December 09, 2016, 01:37:30 AM »
Final Fantasy VI

it's the verbage he's using theres nothing new, or original, or even new for a FF game, about FF15's story. ive seen it all before in various forms in shounen anime.

I don't see how that's a critique though, @Alisha. I think it's pointless to require strong originality in a game because it's generally impossible to find, and Final Fantasy has never been the standard-bearer of unique ideas, just well-developed ones. What certainly is true about XV is it being one of the only games [that I've seen] to use the road trip as its central conceit. It's very relatable and makes a lot of the characters more human than, say, XIII, XII, or even X's. Heck, if you really want to dive into it, Lunafreya seems to be a trace of Yuna, just removed from the spotlight and divested of the showy pop-culture sensibilities X had.

Now, I do get some of the issues: There's a lot of tangential information that's contained in auxiliary materials. It's one of the cardinal sins of narrative coherency, and a prime reason I consider the first Abrams' Star Trek movie such a slouch. A product should not rely on comics or specials or novels to explain itself. But Square-Enix does seem to be addressing this with a patch, which may or may not fix the issues. I think it's their first real foray out into a media blitz and they probably decided "oh well, we'll release it this way and see if fans bite, but we'll also have this patch in development to fix things if that bombs".

So yeah, there's parts of the story that are a bit hard to glean. But it's still a solid narrative, and the four friends really are a great realization of the original "Warriors of Light" motif the series started with. With as many callbacks to VI and X, often thought of as tentpole entries which established new canon to the larger mythology, it's definitely working its pedigree. I'm a fan.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 02:03:33 AM by Hidoshi »

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: December 09, 2016, 07:06:51 AM »
So huh, now I have to decide if I want to wait for the patches.

Hidoshi

• Administrator
  • Filthy Casual
    • View Profile
    • ConBravo!
« Reply #1301 on: December 09, 2016, 09:45:36 AM »
@Rook I've been grumbling about the same. I'm wondering if the patch will have a "replay" feature of some kind, so current players can access bits that they missed retroactively instead of having to replay the whole thing.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: December 09, 2016, 08:46:13 PM »
Hopefully they work on fixing the major bugs before adding any new content. Hearing a lot of stories of disappearing or permanently transparent characters, and earlier when I loaded a saved game, all the water in the game was suddenly bright purple.

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: December 09, 2016, 09:04:16 PM »
FF15's story was better told in FF6.
In FF6 the first half of the game ends with the villain winning and the second half is very open ended. You get to recollect your party members mostly in the order you want and u can beat the game with less than your full party. You get to see the effect of Kefka's mad rule. You get to see the effect this has had on all your party members.

The only thing FF15 has going for it are the dramatic moments such as characters deaths and blindness. Admittedly, those are pretty well done so the game does have emotional pull. The one major difference is that FF15 had the balls to kill of major characters, including the main characters. Though granted, FF6 has a more light hearted tone throughout its story so major deaths would have seem jarring and I'm not sure Nintendo would have allowed it. lol

I feel like FF15's plot is just rushed and is a consequence of what I like to call open world syndrome. So many games that go open world basically sacrifice the pacing and development of their plot. At least the development of the characters was well done but even that could have been handled better.

Ask yourself, did this game really need to be open world? Could the story have been told better if it wasn't completly open world?

All that said, FF15 is a good game for those that enjoy the characters and the gameplay. But I don't think its story is as strong as it could have been nor do I think its a top tier open world game. How much of a negative this is in the end is purely subjective. I enjoyed playing FF12 and thats a worst open world game than FF15.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 09:15:35 PM by bigdeath »

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Administrator
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: December 09, 2016, 10:16:10 PM »
I recommend everyone give the other two controller types a shot if you're having trouble with the standard layout.  I switched over to Type B (which puts block on L1 and attack on square) and I'm having a much better time with the combat.  It lets me spin the camera around while still being able to stay on the defense.  Can't believe this isn't the standard control seem....