Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
Re: Zero Escape 3 official
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2016, 11:09:08 PM »
FBR is something new :)

Maybe FBR was the virus that Free The Soul develops, and Radical-6 is developed to counter it, but then Radical-6 is what escapes (because someone in Free The Soul knew Radical-6 would be stronger airborne than FBR and they WANTED Sigma and Akane's crew to develop a "cure" that is its own killer) ...

Which means, the DILEMMA is ... do we let FBR out of quarantine, or do we let Radical-6 out of quarantine? OR is there some alternate solution (true ending)?

There's my best guess.

PS - anyone know where Santa went? Feel free to put in spoiler box. My theory remains:

Code: [Select]
Santa has SOMETHING to do with Free The Souls. Remember when Santa talks about the good and bad Santas, with the white and black coats, and the white Santa kills black Santa, but black Santa's blood stains the white coat red? What if there really was a "bad Santa," like ... from another universe, another diverging timeline that LATER converges. And that bad Santa is the brother that the leader of Free The Soul loses and drives him insane. Alternately ... does that mean that Santa, or some form OF Santa, *is* the villain of the trilogy?

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2016, 12:56:17 AM »
Hrmm...have we figured out yet why this one is supposed to be a killing game? (Maybe I just missed it.)

Was re watching both trailers to try and figure out a bit more about the rules/nature of this one because compared to 999 & VLR it feels a bit vague at this point... (Compared highly to VLR, where we knew at least the basic framework for the game thanks to the anime short and demo that was about about this time in relation to the release date.)

Trailer #1 establishes there's a much sharper time limit than the prior two games. 90 minutes.
Trailer #2 Q has a line: "If just one more person dies...one more..."

I'm guessing Door X is either kill-count locked or clues to open it are limited in the same manner. Which is...almost antithetical to the prior titles. Killing has never, ever been a requirement. Even VLR's Zero the Third outright tells the characters within the first 30 minutes of dialog that everyone can get out pretty easily through basic cooperation.

So...why the sudden tonal shift? Nothing in the promotional material so far has declared that killing is 'optional' at all. In fact between the super strict time limit, the stakes the characters are playing for (survival of the whole world), and the 'pick someone to die' it really makes this feel more like Dangan Ronpa 3 than 999-3.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2016, 06:49:29 AM »
Hrmm...have we figured out yet why this one is supposed to be a killing game? (Maybe I just missed it.)

Was re watching both trailers to try and figure out a bit more about the rules/nature of this one because compared to 999 & VLR it feels a bit vague at this point... (Compared highly to VLR, where we knew at least the basic framework for the game thanks to the anime short and demo that was about about this time in relation to the release date.)

Trailer #1 establishes there's a much sharper time limit than the prior two games. 90 minutes.
Trailer #2 Q has a line: "If just one more person dies...one more..."

I'm guessing Door X is either kill-count locked or clues to open it are limited in the same manner. Which is...almost antithetical to the prior titles. Killing has never, ever been a requirement. Even VLR's Zero the Third outright tells the characters within the first 30 minutes of dialog that everyone can get out pretty easily through basic cooperation.

So...why the sudden tonal shift? Nothing in the promotional material so far has declared that killing is 'optional' at all. In fact between the super strict time limit, the stakes the characters are playing for (survival of the whole world), and the 'pick someone to die' it really makes this feel more like Dangan Ronpa 3 than 999-3.
Isn't it established in the first trailer that they need 6 passwords to open some door and that they only get a password when someone dies? Or was that in some of the promotional material? Either way, that is the reason that the death's are necessary within the rules of this game.

As for the tonal shift, strictly speaking deaths were required in both games in order to learn information that would be otherwise unavailable. Junpei and Sigma may not have directly caused the deaths in any path that I immediately recall, but their choices do cause people to die in timelines that splinter off from their games. In 9-9-9, even if you only did the required paths, you would still create two timelines, one with half a dozen dead people. While Zero in this game may say that deaths are required, I imagine the true end timeline will have a minimal amount of deaths just like the endings from the other two games. However to get to that perfect timeline, we'll have to get through multiple timelines where people are murdered just like the other two games.

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2016, 12:31:47 AM »
They really weren't though. Look at the core, fundamentals of each game. Ignore the second-hand motivations of Zero/background characters.

999:

The doors were all measured so everyone could pass through every door. No one would be left behind, no kills required. Even the final door operated on this principle. Literally zero deaths were required for anyone put into this game to reach the end.

The only reason deaths happen in the main routes, as per Zero's plans.

Is because Ace is a scumbag; not because the Coded Door game required death to proceed. Even the time loop itself wasn't
requiring any deaths. All that needed to happen was for Jumpei to go left instead of right to get the code for the coffin to
free Snake, who was put there to AVOID him dying and thus opening door 9. Ace's murder spree in the left-door timeline
is due to his own wants, not because the game required him to in order to pass through door 9.

VLR:

Again, stated outright at the beginning of the game. All everyone has to do to go free is press Ally each and every single time. Zero deaths required and they can escape the game.

Not that they can go anywhere AFTER the game.
Only reason deaths happen are, as per Zero's plans.

-Radical 6, which is an outside influence and has nothing to do with the mechanics of the Prisoner Dilemma game itself. It exists purely
as a 'cheat' to making unrequited killing far more likely and because it enables more advanced time-leaping.

-Dio is a dick.

Now...let's compare this to...

ZTD:

Game is you kill people to get passwords to escape.

See the dissonance now?

Since people like to reference the 999/VLR series as "X + Y + Saw"; lemme make another comparison.

999/VLR feel like John-Jigsaw traps. You're gonna go through hell, but they're DESIGNED to let you escape alive if you really want to.

ZTD feels like Amanda/Hoffman-Jigsaw traps. They're rigged to kill you, no matter what.

Makes ZTD feel like the mastermind might possibly have nothing to do with the prior Zeros because of that difference. A faux-Zero game.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 01:10:23 AM by ZeronHitaro »

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2016, 07:12:13 AM »
One thing you have to keep in mind is that we don't actually know all the rules for the game yet. There seems to be some voting element to the game (that has yet to be explained) which could produce something along the lines of the prisoner's dilemma as in the second trailer if you pause there is a note saying "Hello Carlos here. C-Team is voting for D-Team so D-Team should vote for Q-Team and Q-Team for C-Team." So presumably something bad happens if a team gets two votes (probably a member having to die). How this connects to the passwords is anyone's guess at this point.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2016, 09:19:11 AM »
https://youtu.be/tH9pbThMLs0?list=PLaDrN74SfdT47a4esK2UiveAOgcHAFGXQ
9 minutes of English Gameplay.

....um, heh, well I mean I'm definitely Day One-ing it and can't wait to finally close up the series and all of its mysteries, but I'd be lying if I said I missed the good ol' visual novel style of things for the "fancier" cutscenes (which look a bit like a swing and a miss).

Also, Luna's eyebrows are on in reverse.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Administrator
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2016, 09:38:30 AM »
*covers eyes*

I'm not watching this.  Going to wait for the full game. 

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2016, 10:48:25 PM »
Hrmm. I'm going to assume this is just the 'first room'; judging by the simplicity of the puzzle layout. But even then they way they present this system seems like the literal 'Dead Ends' are going to be astronomically higher than 999 and VLR put together. Since so far the layout 'looks' (heavy guessing here) to be as follows:

(Tagged for Robbie. :-P )
-Enter Room
-Room contains puzzle
-Solving initial puzzle leads to 'maybe/maybe-not kill someone' second solution.
-Post Room leads to Voting for a Team.
-Losing Team has to pick someone to kill.
-Rinse/Repeat for multiple branching paths.

Assuming further these conditions are cloned for [b]every[/b] room that means
4 out of the 9 characters 'could' theoretically die by the end of Room 1.

ZTD doesn't stand for Zero Time Dilemma anymore. This game is now re-branded as 'Zoom', They Dead.

Speculation and joking aside, only thing I was even remotely irked by was hearing old music recycled. Was hoping for a heavily fresh soundtrack. Still a Day 1 snag.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 11:01:05 PM by ZeronHitaro »

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2016, 06:06:01 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=204845175&postcount=1

Lots of plans for the series: Artbook, maybe Steam (ZTD is going there for sure, but 999/VLR are still in limbo), and other possible merch.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Towns Car Marty

• i'm sorry in advance
  • RPGFan Editor
  • RPGFan's Resident Dirtbag
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2016, 04:19:32 AM »
Looks like there's publisher woes in the EU. Amazon cancelled my preorder this week citing "copyright issues" and have now removed the game from sale. Beware, fellow Europe-dwellers!

I've ordered a copy from Canadian site Videogamesplus, so there are options, though.
how's my posting? call 1-800-pee-pee-poo-poo

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2016, 07:22:40 AM »
Looks like there's publisher woes in the EU. Amazon cancelled my preorder this week citing "copyright issues" and have now removed the game from sale. Beware, fellow Europe-dwellers!

I've ordered a copy from Canadian site Videogamesplus, so there are options, though.
I seem to recall hearing that there is going to be only digital release in Europe for...reasons. So I believe the 3DS is region locked, meaning you'll have to go digital if that is your system of choice. You could probably go import physical on Vita, but then you won't get trophies associated with your account (if you care at all).

Towns Car Marty

• i'm sorry in advance
  • RPGFan Editor
  • RPGFan's Resident Dirtbag
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2016, 07:33:42 AM »
Ahh that would make sense. I guess. I don't know how well VLR did over here, but I do know it came out missing a language voice track. Might have even come out missing English, actually? 999 never came out here in any official capacity, so I imagine many people would've been lost.

It's cool, I have an American 3DS because certain publishers are uber-late bringing their games out here, if they come out at all. Also, trophies know no boundaries when it comes to physical Vita media, I've got games from all regions and their trophies show up on my singular account no problem.
how's my posting? call 1-800-pee-pee-poo-poo

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2016, 09:54:22 AM »

I love VGP.  Even when I worked at Gamestop I went to them sometimes (I helped give them customers, they gave me a good deal haha).
They seem to have one hell of an 'in' with Atlus too getting reprints from them all the time.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2016, 02:43:31 PM »
INTERVIEW: Zero Time Dilemma's Creator on Zero Escape's New Art Style, Adventure Games and More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbTu73R8iXk

Things to take away from it:

-It's going to be formatted more like a TV show than a VN because baseline reading comprehension skills hold it back from a 'wider audience'.
-"Certain decisions you make will give you random results"

..................... ~_~; Remember that 50/50 gun from the gameplay demo? You thinking what I'm thinking?

-The Player will see events out of order. So instead of being the omniscient timeline hopper
like 999/VLR you're going to be the one who doesn't know what's happened up to this point.

...I want it to be good. My 'bad' senses are tingling though.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 02:50:35 PM by ZeronHitaro »

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2016, 05:20:32 PM »
Was browsing Steam. Some of the screenshots are of new things not seen in the trailer yet. Most importantly is one of the 'Global Flowchart'. Having no knowledge of the game I don't see anything that 'looks' like an obvious spoiler. But full blinders of course shouldn't click. :-P

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/311240/ss_d19d5f3cb17907e784a95c97b79be79a11dac0ae.jpg?t=1464851692

Most interesting spoil free tidbit: I haven't done an exact count, but eyeballing it I think ZTD has roughly 35-40% more phases to the story than VLR's story chart did.

As I feared, it looks like ZTD's story presentation is going to be a hot mess. As shown in how you select story parts to follow.

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/311240/ss_2f5d3c94cb3af14a0599d47a86c78a95f15650c8.jpg?t=1464851692

They don't even look remotely sorted in anything orderly. So not only is the story
chronologically bouncing all over the place, but the selection system itself gives you no clue as
to what piece is where in the timeline without having to consult the Global Chart
... Uggggggh. >.<; I know 999/VLR hasn't been exactly straightforward up til now...but I shouldn't need a freaking triple-sided roadmap to enjoy a timeline-driven plot.

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/311240/ss_fcf7d292bcd190761fc82fa86ba1ed2b2ba3642e.jpg?t=1464851692

...I have nothing really do say about this one. It just looked funny. XD

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/311240/ss_8dcbc406a5708c1558e9103378eef16f0063dc17.jpg?t=1464851692

....this is beyond weird. Why on earth would you format the system that way?

Seems like needless busy work to manually type in the name of who you want to kill.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 05:27:43 PM by ZeronHitaro »