Author Topic: Zero Escape 3 official

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

ZeronHitaro

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1,375
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Escape 3 official
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2016, 05:31:23 PM »
I said the series is popular never said it sold well.  If it wasnt popular then why are they already remastering 999 and VLR on other platforms and adding voice acting to 999.  If the series had nothing going for it they would never go out on a limb and do that it would just be a dumb risk.  They know the reason why it might not sell as well as it should is because the games are stuck on the 3ds and vita until ZTD.  The steam version of ZTD easily trumps the other two and makes it way more accessible to a wider audience.  And I don't think the death of any YouTuber could make or break a game if it's good by its own standard, especially one I never heard of untill i just looked him up.

Remasters for Visual Novels aren't exactly bank-busters for expense. Just because something isn't popular doesn't mean you can't squeak some profit out of it. In fact I'd say it's pretty much a zero-risk venture because all you need to do is just be put inside of a Steam Sale rotation and it doesn't matter how good or bad your game is, you're going to make base-cover costs. I'm not saying it's a bad thing these games are being ported over mind you, but even lesser games with shallower audience pools can still chip out profits on Steam these days; because your new casual buyer type uses Whale-style purchasing patterns.

I also think you're underestimating what exactly YouTube does these days. JewWario was part of Channel Awesome (or whatever they're calling it now). And when he went, every single channel affiliated it ran something about it. (Including the Nostalgia Critic; who was one of the largest in the entertainment sphere at the time.) So the ripple effect wasn't insignificant. He didn't make/break the game outright, but the sphere of influence generated by that did quite a bit towards increasing awareness. A lot of people would've never even heard of the game were it not for him, myself included. That aside, Youtube, for better or worse, IS the make/break point for a lot of games these days. This is why Sponsored Videos, transparency there of, and so forth are major hot-button issues within the gaming community right now. All you have to do to explode your sales numbers is just make it onto one semi-large channel and boom. Instant overnight sales spikes. (Conversely, a negative video from any of these channels is pretty prone to sinking anything short of a AAA publisher.)

Really to prove my point about it's influence I only need to utter four words.

Five Nights at Freddy's.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:35:02 PM by ZeronHitaro »

ScottC

  • RPGFan Editor
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1,829
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Escape 3 official
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2016, 05:34:08 PM »
Alright let me rephrase it a bit,  it's popular within its auidence.  Visual novels obviously don't have mass appeal.  I have played 3 visual novel series.  Danganropa, Zero escape, and Phoneix Wright.  Seeing as I am not a fan of the style and yet still enjoyed these I would consider those the most popular and the most likely to having a bigget appeal.  999 getting voice acting is a big endevure.  You need to hire actors, reprogram the game etc.  It's not a simple port.

I agree with  YouTube having influence but only for some youtubers.  But I have no idea who that guy is and I think I watched like one Nostalgia Crtic video.  I understand their popularity but for ever one person that knew who he was there are plenty more that dont.

Regardless I think we will see a 4th zero game obviously not anytime soon but eventually.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:45:23 PM by ScottC »

ZeronHitaro

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1,375
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Escape 3 official
« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2016, 05:45:36 PM »
Look at it this way then. Apparently a significant portion of people in the UK have no idea what the EU is. Doesn't mean the EU isn't important in shaping global politics.

Same deal here, to a much lower level mind you. Just because a fair portion of people dunno who Youtuber X, Y, and Z are doesn't mean their influence on the world is negligible.

I'm not trying to say one person caused 999's sales to go off the chart or anything. But it certain didn't hurt. Especially when the company itself acknowledged it. :-P

https://twitter.com/aksysgames/status/19230587470479360

But that's enough if/and/why/maybe/∞.

Here's a kitty.

http://funnycatsgif.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/sleeping-cats-cute-kitten-gap.jpg
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:47:38 PM by ZeronHitaro »

Ramza

  • Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 10,139
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
Re: Zero Escape 3 official
« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2016, 11:01:48 PM »
okokok, Dice had THE BEST writeup I think I have seen and will ever see about this game.

Highlights!

SPOILERS AHOOOOOOOY
> Jeez, Aoi got plot-demoted real fucking fast.  
Seven I'm glad is doing alright!  

> Is it bad the 'Stranded Pair' made me just ask "they should just do each other to pass the time" right from the beginning?

> Hey did you know Carlos has a sick sister? AND that he fights fire!??!!?!?  WITH FIRE.  THE FIRE IN HIS HEART.

> Delta.... Oh Delta.  Good and bad.  Loved the idea here, I love that he, like Akane, need the game they create to ensure their own survival (chicken? egg?). And I like how Mira is the sort of starting thread in a lot of this; as much as her character is "just crazy" it's a kind of cool way to start the chain of events (or, yeah, that snail).  But wow the cult, Brother, millions of deaths, radical-6 plots really get swept under a rug in order to emphasize one part of the story --- the characters.  Which I guess isn't a bad thing.   Anyways, I thought he had a cool design about him.  Mind hacking was stupid though.  Fuck, whatever, give him some magical power too why not.  

 That said, I find him kinda just "going with the flow", despite his machinations in each timeline, very surprising and a lot of fun to think about.  He literally gets away with murders in other dimensions, he's completely fucking evil, but since you all got out okay [in one timeline], so too does he walk away from having commit *any* crimes, hell he even died in timelines and had videos set up for their eventuality... but to him, since he can't SHIFT, it's happening to him "once" and only once.  Wooooooah.

> Ultimately, I think this game was hurt by the lack of visual novel --- it was a full cinematic spectacle.  It's admirable as hell that they really did so much of the game like this.  But the budget made really half-assed looking action and way too many awkward moments.  It turned events that totally suit the Zero Escape world look a lot more rushed (because you don't wanna do THAT much dialogue if you have to animate/voice it all).  The game does better when it can describe its scenes, and work with its characters.  This game really rushed the exposition really dispels a lot of the suspense.

...So who the fuck was Brother anywa--- ah fuck it.

I super-agree about everything you had to say about the guy whose name is between Gamma and Epsilon. Like, everything.

And the choice to go full-cinematic, while admirable, was (I agree) misguided. For some of the most action-heavy parts, what they'll do is show two characters posed pre-confrontation (think Goku and Freiza doing some heavy breathing before preparing for a kick-punch-flurry or energy ball of death), then we hear some sound effects as the camera CONVENIENTLY STARES AT THE CEILING, and then we get the post-confrontation shot (someone is dead, they're stuck in a bear hug while person 3 off to the side is shouting "no stop!", etc). Animating the actual charge and body-shifting to get into those positions was just too much, so ... ceiling.

The ceiling knew Carlos was a firefighter all along.

Ranadiel

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2,287
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Escape 3 official
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2016, 07:10:00 AM »
Edit from Scott: I accidently deleted the rest of your message when I meant to hit quote instead of edit.  I am so sorry Ranadiel, I messed up.  If you remember what you wrote please put it back. - Scott
Well fuck, I don't even remember what I was responding to. I'm running late today too, so I'll have to see if I can remember some other time. >.>

Quote
And what makes you say there is a 0% chance? The series is popular, it has been getting stellar reviews, and the ending basically states that this isn't the end because an even bigger threat then radical 6 is out there.  I do think we have seen the last of q team,  but akane and junpei are on the move and you better belive d team won't just stand around and not help them.  Sigma and Phi are in to deep to just stop here.  And if they are going to help Diana will be there as well.

Basically everything points to a 4th game.

As already pointed out, the series isn't really that popular. My understanding is that sales in Japan were not good enough for ZTD to be made and it only got made because Askys footed part of the development bill (and even then the budget was comparably small which seems pretty evident in game).

Code: [Select]
Further, I don't think that the ending really leaves anything that needs to be resolved. We know all the couples get together. We know Carlos's sister gets better. All the important stuff is taken care of. I doubt that the unknown terrorist is going to decide to do a decision game, so there isn't that much material for a new game. Heck I would take the last decision game I the game (Kill Delta or not) as the game developer basically saying "Your role in this world is over, but their loves continue on."
Edit: Okay so I remembered one thing I was responding to. Don't delete it this time Scott. >.> Also found something from Dice to respond to while I was at it.


Code: [Select]
Yeah. That and uh ... Free the Soul / Brother. -- Delta talked about *six people* that died because of the snail blocking the right path. Best as I can tell, *one of those six* is the brother that "Brother" lost tragically that leads him to form his cult. And wait ... didn't they say that Delta had an "adopted" brother in the 1904 timeline? Who the hell was that, and maybe in another timeline Delta *is* Brother? Oooyyy...


Code: [Select]
The six people that died from the snail were Eric's mom, Akane's parents, the taxi driver (who is connected to no one in the game?), Sean's surgeon, and Sean himself. Delta's adopted brother was Left. And I'm not sure what you mean by in another timeline, Delta is Brother is all timelines that we are aware of.
> That said, my favourite post ending?  Mira, Eric, and Q.  They're totally going to kill each other.  Or kill others trying not to kill each other, intent aside.  I'm all for a fourth game starring them and ruining everything.  Forget Free the Soul, it'll be them. ...and like, how the fuck do they explain to other families at the playground "Our 'son' is fine without a head" "Like really, he doesn't mind it".  Or just keep the helmet on because he's "special".  Or ...I dunno, THIS is the WORST DANGLING THREAD IN THIS GAME AAAUUUUGGGH!!!! 

Code: [Select]
Sean won't be going back with them. I don't think the quantum computer is set up yet that far back in time. At the very least it isn't set up t host his mind yet, so he can't be sent that far back in time. So it would just be Mira and Eric...and that is actually probably the terrorist kills off all of humanity timeline since it would effectively be free of Akane's machinations which would have something of a ripple effect preventing all sorts of other events (probably including Sigma and the AB project).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 09:12:58 PM by Ranadiel »

PaleRobbie

  • Podcast Host
  • Editor Emeritus
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4,914
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Escape 3 official
« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2016, 11:48:14 PM »
Still haven't finished this yet, and I'm having a hard time given how hit and miss the puzzles are.  I just spent twenty minutes dicking around the shower room with D team because I didn't have the right combination of room conditions to see the vital clue I needed.  There's no logic or reason to getting stuck like this.  It just happened that I didn't meet an arbitrary set of conditions that the game never indicated.  I know many were struggling with the transporter room puzzle, but I managed to crack that out pretty fast.  Unfortunately, the puzzles involving specific clicks in specific places to reveal things feel worse than ever.  I've lost my patience with this game and I have to take a break whenever I start screaming. 

To go deeper, there are a couple puzzles in the game where it feels like you have the solution but it actually goes another layer and requires either more knowledge or another key clue that you have to solve a different puzzle to get.  These parts are TERRIBLE in terms of teaching the player what to do.  It's not fun to think that you're solving an addition problem when it turns out it's really a word scramble, for example.  I honestly feel like the puzzles have gotten worse/more obnoxious with each game in this series, and I can't really be bothered to smash my head against something because I think the solution is numerical and it turns out it was alphabetical, for example. 

Towns Car Marty

  • i'm sorry in advance
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2,245
  • RPGFan's Resident Dirtbag
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
Re: Zero Escape 3 official
« Reply #126 on: July 08, 2016, 04:11:15 AM »
The problem I had with the transporter room was how the game flagrantly broke the rules that it had just set out for you.

They state that....
Quote
Hieroglyphics next to each other signify each one being multiplied by the one next to it, but then you have to enter in sequential hieroglyphics as a whole number. I spent longer than I should have trying to puzzle out a five-digit multiplication equation that would come up with the needed number before I realized I was overthinking the puzzle to the point of masochism. I feel that was a case of bad signposting on the game's behalf.

I also agree with you Rob, a lot of these rooms require the tripping of extraneous flags before puzzles can be solved. The end result feels less like a well-thought out puzzle and more like an attempt to pad the duration out. I don't remember the shower room being too painful though, except for the constant needless switching of the lights...

Just started the library escape room before I had to get off the train and go to the office, and man does it have kicking music.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 04:13:56 AM by Towns Car Marty »
how's my posting? call 1-800-pee-pee-poo-poo

PaleRobbie

  • Podcast Host
  • Editor Emeritus
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4,914
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Escape 3 official
« Reply #127 on: July 08, 2016, 08:00:45 AM »
I was about to have that same problem, Rob, but then Sigma flat out tells you what the combination is and I decided to go with it.  I thought I'd have to find a weird way to multiply four numbers to get that result, but it was easier than that.  One bad bit of logic and you're sunk for hours, though. 

Rucks

  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2,120
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Escape 3 official
« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2016, 08:03:31 AM »
^ Oh Hi Bob, Bob.

Get out there and fix that glitch you two.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Klutz64

  • I Like Wacky Hats
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3,783
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Escape 3 official
« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2016, 09:54:48 AM »
The only thing that's thrown me off so far in regards to puzzles was the shower room and the
Code: [Select]
code that's hidden inside the drain when the lights are out
With the transporter room, I originally thought the same thing as Matty but I've taken too many philosophy classes not to try the simplest answer before troubling myself with the more complex solution.

Oh, and I did get a game over once in the Manufacturing room because if you make a mistake they immediately start that ball mini-game without explaining what you're supposed to be doing exactly.

Klutz64

  • I Like Wacky Hats
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3,783
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Escape 3 official
« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2016, 02:36:41 PM »
Officially stuck. Hit all the dead ends that I could, and I don't know if I just didn't take good enough notes or what, but I can't seem to find any more branches to unlock.

Q Team especially has me frustrated because the game makes me feel like I have all the information I need but it doesn't want to accept it.

For instance:

Code: [Select]
I've tried putting "Sean" in at the decision point with the standoff w/ Q, Eric and Mira since if you put 'Q' the message "Please Enter Q's Name" comes up instead of the usual "Error," but that didn't work
and

Code: [Select]
I've tried entering the 8 digit code you get from the same fragment you learn Q's identity in various places (except the obvious, I suppose, though I thought that part at the beginning was just a cutscene with no opportunity for variation. And besides, I've been busy revisiting D-Team cutscenes to see if I just forgot the second item needed for the Force Quit Box) with no luck
Its pretty frustrating, and my biggest issue with the game so far. Both in and out of puzzle rooms, the game loves to throw red herrings all over the place and it ends up going beyond misleading to just plain mean.

Starmongoose

  • Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6,445
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Escape 3 official
« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2016, 02:42:32 PM »
Here are some common roadblocks.

Get all the execution scenes for all the teams. So first get them all to live "C votes for Q, Q votes for D and D votes for C". Then get C-team execution (D and Q both vote for them) and do the same with Q and D team.

Keep playing the Decision Game of the Rec Room and the Trash Disposal Room until you get a different outcome.

Check every individual fragment, not just the flowchart. Look for exclamation points on the floor chart maybe.


Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!



CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

ScottC

  • RPGFan Editor
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1,829
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Escape 3 official
« Reply #132 on: July 10, 2016, 02:46:47 PM »
Yeah, for the Mexican standoff decision just try to think of all the possible outcomes that could happen in this situation and you will get that third one. If you are looking for the 4th one, you won't get it till you come close to the end of the game.  SO just leave that one alone.

Dice

  • I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 13,471
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: Zero Escape 3 official
« Reply #133 on: July 10, 2016, 05:02:42 PM »
Check every individual fragment, not just the flowchart. Look for exclamation points on the floor chart maybe.

THIS is what got me stuck

When you're looking at the character select fragments, you'll see a colour coded border when a segment is *totally* complete (Red for Carlos, Green for Q, Blue for Diana).  If it doesn't have that border, it's not done and you gotta go back.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Klutz64

  • I Like Wacky Hats
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3,783
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Escape 3 official
« Reply #134 on: July 10, 2016, 06:34:51 PM »
Starmongoose's first hint is where I probably failed. Thought I made all the possible decisions, but I still haven't unlocked one team's execution.

EDIT: Yep, that was it! Now I'm just going through the sequence of C-Team Gaining their Personas/Going Super Saiyan/Awakening their Avatars.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 11:53:42 PM by Klutz64 »