Author Topic: Shin Megami Tensei 4 APOCALYPSE

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
Re: Shin Megami Tensei 4 FINAL
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2016, 06:18:03 PM »
Yeah I caught it because it was in the Nintendo Direct when I was looking for typical Nintendo stuff, and frankly it just looked awesome.

I've no doubt it would be an enjoyable experience, I've read about it a little bit and they say they plan on trying to make it the best RPG on 3DS... and many original staff members etc are on it as a consequence, they might just succeed at that.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 06:28:36 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

cj_iwakura

• Wayfarer of the Time
  • Counting The Sheep
    • View Profile
    • Iwakura Productions
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2016, 08:28:37 PM »
I still hate negotiation and no one can every change my opinion about how stupid I think it is, but the other quality of life additions (better map, less opaque about the affinity system, party members that are actually helpful) really help it shine. I can see myself liking this one more than SMTIV.

Apparently there's a broken pattern you can use. Comply, Comply, Refuse, Cheat. It's been pretty effective for me. Partners also tell you when to go talk to a certain demon for a surefire recruitment.

They never topped Raidou 2's system, though. Nearly impossible to fail a negotiation thanks to the partner system smoothing things over.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2016, 09:43:55 PM »
I still hate negotiation and no one can every change my opinion about how stupid I think it is, but the other quality of life additions (better map, less opaque about the affinity system, party members that are actually helpful) really help it shine. I can see myself liking this one more than SMTIV.

Apparently there's a broken pattern you can use. Comply, Comply, Refuse, Cheat. It's been pretty effective for me. Partners also tell you when to go talk to a certain demon for a surefire recruitment.

They never topped Raidou 2's system, though. Nearly impossible to fail a negotiation thanks to the partner system smoothing things over.

Where is the challenge if you can easily recruit every demon you have the sufficient level to acquire?  Sounds pretty boring.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2016, 12:02:35 AM »
re: the news story that just went up about some unlocalized content...

*facepalm*

I mean, I've seen worse (Ar tonelico 2...). But this news alone helped me prioritize my game purchases for the latter half of the year. Steins;Gate 0 just won out over this, at least for now. I can hope to get a used copy for $25 someday.

Y'see, while they claim they'll "fix it," with 3DS, they'll be fixing it ONLY if you purchased it digitally. Nintendo developed absolutely no way to add "patch" content to a game you're playing from the physical 3DS cart. If you don't believe me, do some google searches regarding the game-breaking "PEC Room" save glitch in Virtue's Last Reward.

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Administrator
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2016, 12:29:03 AM »
I'm working my butt off to finish this and get a review posted.  Hopefully I'll have something by the end of the weekend. Stay tuned! 

Towns Car Marty

• hwaaaaa
  • RPGFan Editor
  • RPGFan's Resident Dirtbag
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2016, 02:09:56 AM »

*facepalm*

I mean, I've seen worse (Ar tonelico 2...). But this news alone helped me prioritize my game purchases for the latter half of the year. Steins;Gate 0 just won out over this, at least for now. I can hope to get a used copy for $25 someday.

Y'see, while they claim they'll "fix it," with 3DS, they'll be fixing it ONLY if you purchased it digitally. Nintendo developed absolutely no way to add "patch" content to a game you're playing from the physical 3DS cart. If you don't believe me, do some google searches regarding the game-breaking "PEC Room" save glitch in Virtue's Last Reward.

The localization oversight is anno
ying, but frankly I prefer one lin
e of untranslated battle dialog
ue over text formatted like Ste
ins;Gate's.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2016, 02:37:02 AM »
The localization oversight is anno
ying, but frankly I prefer one lin
e of untranslated battle dialog
ue over text formatted like Ste
ins;Gate's.

I don't seem to recall that happening more than once in a blue moon. That, or I stopped caring because the game was so text message heavy, and on my phone (an old flip-phone), that's how text gets parsed anyway. :P

Towns Car Marty

• hwaaaaa
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2016, 04:16:01 AM »
Happens quite a bit in the larger dialogue boxes, and it's unfortunate.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2016, 06:29:38 AM »

*facepalm*

...if there is no way to patch physical 3DS carts, why do I know for a fact that there is a patch for Pokémon X/Y to fix the game breaking bug from saving in a specific location?

Towns Car Marty

• hwaaaaa
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2016, 07:38:03 AM »
To any who are interested, Tomato of Legends of Localization has written a piece on this.

eightbitsamurai

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2016, 11:17:15 AM »

Bless your beautiful soul, it's working, by Jove, it's WORKING.

To any who are interested, Tomato of Legends of Localization has written a piece on this.

I thought you had written "Tomato of Legend", which would still be true because that English patch of Mother 3 is one of my top 10 moments in Internet history.

That said as Sollosi brought up, it's weird to me that they didn't playtest the "we fucked everything up" playthrough, where you play as badly as possible and see what happens. Figured that'd be standard for QA...

Towns Car Marty

• hwaaaaa
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
Re: Shin Megami Tensei 4 APOCALYPSE
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2016, 06:56:07 AM »
OK, so mechanically, SMT4A is a fine game, as it's largely identical to SMT4. The story, however, just isn't doing it for me. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I think I've nailed down what it is.

Previous mainline SMT games (and several side games) are all about conflicting ideologies; you must choose your own path, and former friends who are diametrically opposed to this path become foes.

SMT4 in particular had five distinct factions: The Hunter's Association, the Ring of Gaea, the Ashura Kai, the forces of Merkabah and those of Lucifer. These groups all wish for their own control of Tokyo, and cannot coexist. The Hunter's Association are the most amicable, but the remaining four extremist groups are unwilling to compromise.

SMT4A on the other hand, sees the protagonist band together with members of each of those five factions, willing to put their differences aside to unite against a common foe bent on global holocaust. This is undoubtedly SMT at its most idealistic and positive; the heroes and villains are distinctly categorized as good vs evil / black vs white, resembling a typical JRPG/shonen storyline more than any SMT game to date.

I'm still powering through, because I love playing the game, but I'm not hopeful that the narrative will wrap up with any thoughtful messaging.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2016, 11:27:30 AM »

*facepalm*

...if there is no way to patch physical 3DS carts, why do I know for a fact that there is a patch for Pokémon X/Y to fix the game breaking bug from saving in a specific location?

I've updated two Pokemon games, Monster Hunter 4, and Yokai Watch, all of which I've owned physically. He's simply mistaken here. You need an SD card with empty space, of course, and maybe some early retail games weren't made with extra data/patches in mind, but even looking at the eShop, Atlus has already made patches for their recent games. It'll be fine.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 11:32:01 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Der Jermeister

• It's-a me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2016, 06:19:01 PM »
I'm still enjoying this and absolutely adore how Atlus fixed most of the issues with its predecessor, except the lazy battle graphics.

cj_iwakura

• Wayfarer of the Time
  • Counting The Sheep
    • View Profile
    • Iwakura Productions
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2016, 09:42:29 PM »
The graphics on this are like two gens above Devil Survivor 2's, even the 3DS version, so there's that.

It amazes me how astonishingly LAZY Record Breaker is. It's a fun game, but they didn't even try to upgrade anything except voices.

Also, I appreciate how Apocalypse never loses its  fangs. It stays difficult throughout, almost as well balanced as Strange Journey.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past