Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread

Embryon

• RPGFan Editor
  • モナドの力
    • View Profile
Re: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« Reply #1260 on: May 04, 2016, 05:33:50 PM »
With regard to the discussion of Supergiant games on the most recent episode: I found Transistor to be much, much more compelling than Bastion, although I enjoyed both games.  I didn't find the talkative sword to be at all annoying or hipstery, and really I just got very drawn into the world.  It didn't seem like anybody on the podcast really shared my enthusiasm for the game, but I binged it over two days, and when I beat it it left me feeling that melancholy you feel when you finish a really good book.

Also, you guys should totally do something at Magfest, because I'm seriously considering going to the next one that happens, so you'd have at least one panel attendee!

Lastly, goodbye Stephen! Good luck in future things!

I totally get where you're coming from-- I liked Transistor more than I liked Bastion, as its overall audiovisual style was more to my taste. I bought it on release day and powered through about 2/3 of it all at once, and then didn't pick it up again until I completed it over a year later. I think there's a great game somewhere in Transistor, but I wanted a little more context for everything that was happening in its world. Pyre looks sweet, though!
"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: May 04, 2016, 07:01:19 PM »
Couldn't wrap my head around Transistor's combat. I have no idea why, but I couldn't even get past the game's first boss.

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: May 04, 2016, 09:36:02 PM »
I am listening to the podcast now and hearing the whole swimsuit gravel thing in Danganropa 2 and I commented on the same thing during the livestream last month.  It's the only one in both games where I said WTF that makes no sense and actually got my first game over.  It's the only stupid logic bullet in the game though. Stick with it Rob though 2 is better then 1 mostly becasue of the characters.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 09:38:49 PM by ScottC »

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Editor Emeritus
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: May 04, 2016, 10:14:37 PM »
Just wrapped up the third case, and it's certainly growing on me.  I still prefer the high school setting of the first game, though.  That claustrophobic setting added a lot to the general sense of malice, IMO.  There also isn't much of a driving mystery in the second game, which is making it feel more like "Hey, these are fun cases but I'm not really worried about the big picture here."  Still a lot of fun and some of the logic problems I had with the first case seem to have smoothed out.  

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: May 04, 2016, 11:18:53 PM »
Yeah, if you look back recently in the Game Journals thread I mentioned the same thing about that case in Danganronpa 2. The game does such a good job of giving you just enough information to figure things out on your own and then suddenly BAM! Classic adventure game logic time!

I also thought the Panic Talk Action was WAY trickier than the alternative from the first game.

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Editor Emeritus
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: May 04, 2016, 11:43:33 PM »
It doesn't help matters that the game has slowdown and framerate issues during the PTA sections.  Cuz, ya know, that could really screw up a rhythm game section, right?  I'm honestly thinking about turning down the difficulty on the minigames after just barely passing that on the third case. 

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: May 05, 2016, 04:21:26 AM »
With regard to the discussion of Supergiant games on the most recent episode: I found Transistor to be much, much more compelling than Bastion, although I enjoyed both games.  I didn't find the talkative sword to be at all annoying or hipstery, and really I just got very drawn into the world.  It didn't seem like anybody on the podcast really shared my enthusiasm for the game, but I binged it over two days, and when I beat it it left me feeling that melancholy you feel when you finish a really good book.

Also, you guys should totally do something at Magfest, because I'm seriously considering going to the next one that happens, so you'd have at least one panel attendee!

Thank you!! I'm both sad and very excited. Thanks for listening to me ramble on the show ^^
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: May 05, 2016, 06:19:49 AM »
You guys mentioned a Dark Souls and Shadow of the Colossus thing?
Titan Souls

edit: On the treehouse localization thing, I think most people upset about it are mad particularly about the conversation that was changed to be just "....." between two characters; making it exclusively about "anime boobs" (face petting? pretty damn tame, imo) is a liiiittle immature.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 07:12:20 AM by insertnamehere »

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

Towns Car Marty

• i'm sorry in advance
  • RPGFan Editor
  • RPGFan's Resident Dirtbag
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #1268 on: May 05, 2016, 06:23:33 AM »
I think Danganronpa 2 feels a little redundant and unnecessary, but it's still a great game.

GOOD LUCK STEPHEN!
how's my posting? call 1-800-pee-pee-poo-poo

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: May 05, 2016, 09:44:40 AM »

Thank you!! I'm both sad and very excited. Thanks for listening to me ramble on the show ^^

Dang it, Meyerink.... *sniffle*
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

IhaveFURY

• Administrator
  • Draw! Monster cardo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: May 05, 2016, 10:59:43 AM »
We're gonna miss you, Stephen. :'( T'was a great episode! And I love where you cut it off at the last second, haha.

RE: Transistor (and Bastion), I dug both games, but I was not compelled to start a second run of Transistor when I beat it, whereas Bastion I restarted right away to get the other ending... so figure that one out, I guess. I agree with Rob's point about finding the "win" button in Transistor's combat, though- I like the idea of it, but what ended up happening was I just slotted the ability that left a trail of mines into my dash and just dodged everything while stuff blew up around me. Effective, but never felt compelled to stop doing that.

Excited for Pyre, though.

Also, Derek, a Bravely Second conversation with no mention of Chompcraft? For shame. :P

Embryon

• RPGFan Editor
  • モナドの力
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: May 05, 2016, 11:54:54 AM »
We're gonna miss you, Stephen. :'( T'was a great episode! And I love where you cut it off at the last second, haha.

RE: Transistor (and Bastion), I dug both games, but I was not compelled to start a second run of Transistor when I beat it, whereas Bastion I restarted right away to get the other ending... so figure that one out, I guess. I agree with Rob's point about finding the "win" button in Transistor's combat, though- I like the idea of it, but what ended up happening was I just slotted the ability that left a trail of mines into my dash and just dodged everything while stuff blew up around me. Effective, but never felt compelled to stop doing that.

Excited for Pyre, though.

Also, Derek, a Bravely Second conversation with no mention of Chompcraft? For shame. :P

My Chompcraft empire extends far beyond the eye can see. My plushies are as soft as my reign is uncontested. Every man, woman, and child in Luxendarc knows my name.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:32:54 PM by Embryon »
"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #1272 on: May 05, 2016, 12:31:16 PM »
I liquidated my Chompcraft assets for about 850,000 pg after getting the airship. Mo' money, fewer problems.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: May 05, 2016, 12:36:08 PM »
Do either of the Bravely Default games ever mention what the hell PG is supposed to be short for, anyway? Why do these RPGs keep thinking they all need their own fictional currency?

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: May 05, 2016, 12:48:06 PM »
fictional country = fictional money? lol

But I see your point thought. They could just call it G for gold.