Author Topic: Valkyria Chronicles 4 - PS4, Xbox, Switch

Lard

• View Profile
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Alisha

• View Profile
Re: Valkyria Chronicles 4 - PS4, Xbox, Switch
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 11:44:07 PM »
i kinda hope they remaster 2 and 3 or something

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 12:53:10 AM »
I see that it's time to march onto not-Russia during the winter. I'm certain the greatest challenge to face this new generation of heroes are bathhouse peeping toms and the requisite bad cook's dishes.

Also, thank god they aren't shoving this onto the Vita in any capacity.

I don't know who left Sega, but these recent developments are highly uncharacteristic of their SOP.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 02:27:09 AM »
no cleavage: 2/10

not going to buy.

In all seriousness, while VC1 was my favorite game of the PS3 era, Sega RPGs seem to have a track record of being one of the best games ever or turning their IPs into gutter trash. So I'm going to temper my enthusiasm but its a good start.

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 05:29:55 AM »
Should be good news, except the Switch part. Hope this doesn't gut the game into empty husk like Nintendo RPGs tend to be.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 06:35:23 AM »
After watching the trailer, I am cautiously optimistic. The winter campaign should at bare minimum make it feel different than the campaigns in 1 and 2 (and probably 3, but I have never played it). Also I like the tank designs for the Federation. Hopefully no one who worked on Revolution is also working on this. I'm not seeing any immediate warning signs, but Revolution exists so part of my brain has been questioning whether there was anyone with talent left at Sega. >.>

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 07:04:04 AM »
After watching the trailer, I am cautiously optimistic. The winter campaign should at bare minimum make it feel different than the campaigns in 1 and 2 (and probably 3, but I have never played it). Also I like the tank designs for the Federation. Hopefully no one who worked on Revolution is also working on this. I'm not seeing any immediate warning signs, but Revolution exists so part of my brain has been questioning whether there was anyone with talent left at Sega. >.>

Hate to be the bearer of bad hype, but...http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/20/valkyria-chronicles-4-shares-details-new-explosive-grenadier-class/

Producer is the same as Revolution.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 10:13:36 AM »
Dreams DO come true
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 06:15:15 PM »
I'm likely to pick this up at release.  I enjoy the VC battle system enough that, even if the execution is less than stellar, there should be something there for me to like.

And even if they botch it utterly...well, I guess I have to play a bad game every once in a while so that I can appreciate the good ones.  At least I'll get a Sakimoto soundtrack out of it.

please be good   please be good   please be good

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 08:34:23 PM »
I'm likely to pick this up at release.  I enjoy the VC battle system enough that, even if the execution is less than stellar, there should be something there for me to like.

And even if they botch it utterly...well, I guess I have to play a bad game every once in a while so that I can appreciate the good ones.  At least I'll get a Sakimoto soundtrack out of it.

Keep the wonderful art style and gameplay and it would be really hard to screw this up. The story and characters are a bit worrying tho. They seem to be notching up the fact or angst and grittyness up considerably for this one.

Lost in the gameplay of VC1 was how good the story and characters were. It was well done story about different people coming together to play their part in stopping an invasion with a nice subplot about the evils of predijudice in it.  It was a masterclass of simple story telling in a RPG.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 08:48:07 PM »

Keep the wonderful art style and gameplay and it would be really hard to screw this up. The story and characters are a bit worrying tho. They seem to be notching up the fact or angst and grittyness up considerably for this one.

Lost in the gameplay of VC1 was how good the story and characters were. It was well done story about different people coming together to play their part in stopping an invasion with a nice subplot about the evils of predijudice in it.  It was a masterclass of simple story telling in a RPG.

Worse still is that it seems that they're going deeper on the tropes. We've got a serious but hotblooded leader, a very positive female, a Darcsen, and a cold sniper chick. They could've easily just transported Welkin and Co. or the Nameless Squad to the Naissur Front, and accomplish practically the same thing.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 10:58:09 AM »
At least I'll get a Sakimoto soundtrack out of it.

Honestly perhaps my favorite part of this announcement.  Once I read that I knew that SEGA was giving it there all to make this one live up to VC1.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 09:27:24 PM »
I hope its good.
I feel like the betrayed fans with 2 and 3. That shit was funny.