Author Topic: Fighting Games

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting Games
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2017, 08:10:14 AM »
I actually do think SF 5 is a lot easier to get into than 3 or 4, the V mechanics are more intuitive and easier to execute than parrying or FADC. Very excited to see what arcade edition and season 3 announcements are going to happen at Capcomcup finals this year. And do your easy and possibly normal survivals for fight money while you can, they're taking that mode out for Arcade Edition.

On another note the guest characters are really turning it up with TMNT for Injustice 2 and Noctis for Tekken 7. I wonder if this will actually get more general gamers into fighting games.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2017, 09:05:47 AM »
I wonder if SE will give up on Dissidia's format and just make a proper Final Fantasy fighter that borrows Soul Calibur's system and mechanics.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2017, 09:07:57 AM »
On another note the guest characters are really turning it up with TMNT for Injustice 2 and Noctis for Tekken 7. I wonder if this will actually get more general gamers into fighting games.
I doubt it . Didn't really happen with SoulCalibur which had Link, Darth Vader, Spawn,  and Enzo from Assassin's Creed at different points within the series.

edit also Killer Instinct with battle toads and gears of war characters.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:16:18 AM by Chronix112 »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2017, 09:15:51 AM »
Wasn't the one with Link *still* the best-selling entry to this day?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Chronix112

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2017, 09:17:21 AM »
Wasn't the one with Link *still* the best-selling entry to this day?
probably,  I mean it is Link.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2017, 10:31:39 AM »
^ Back when that game was new, I had this buddy who kept talking about how much better his Xbox was than my 'Cube. SC2 was one area where he got pretty damn jealous. Although, we agreed that Spawn was still a better deal than Heihachi's boring ass (in comparison).

Chronix112

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2017, 10:37:19 AM »
^ Back when that game was new, I had this buddy who kept talking about how much better his Xbox was than my 'Cube. SC2 was one area where he got pretty damn jealous. Although, we agreed that Spawn was still a better deal than Heihachi's boring ass (in comparison).
lol, shows you how boring it is to put Heihachi into Soul Calibur. I totally forgot his boring ass was an exclusive character.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2017, 10:38:56 AM »
Somehow, I actually find Spawn far less interesting than Heihachi, but having a guest fighter from your own other fighting game was inexcusable.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2017, 10:42:46 AM »
I just read on Wikipedia (cuz I always Wikipedia shit) that Heihachi was actually supposed to be Cloud Strife, but the deal fell through at the last minute. That would have been much cooler ...depending on how much emo one can handle.

Chronix112

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2017, 11:00:21 AM »
Somehow, I actually find Spawn far less interesting than Heihachi, but having a guest fighter from your own other fighting game was inexcusable.

Them there are fighting words :P  Spawn's cape alone is more interesting then borachi

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2017, 01:58:16 PM »

Them there are fighting words :P  Spawn's cape alone is more interesting then borachi

Well... as a guest fighter in SC, maybe.  But as a character from a piece of fiction, Heihachi is at least pretty different and unique for his medium (but, of course, still cheesy as heck).  While Spawn is essentially an anthropomorphization of cringey 90s teenage edgelord neckbeard comic book nonsense.

Ok, maybe those are fighting woords.

Chronix112

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2017, 02:52:52 PM »

Well... as a guest fighter in SC, maybe.  But as a character from a piece of fiction, Heihachi is at least pretty different and unique for his medium (but, of course, still cheesy as heck).  While Spawn is essentially an anthropomorphization of cringey 90s teenage edgelord neckbeard comic book nonsense.

Ok, maybe those are fighting woords.

The original premise of Spawn was good.  The series derailed once  McFarlane couldn't figure out what he wanted to do with the character and then it became a train wreck.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2017, 09:20:11 PM »
I just read on Wikipedia (cuz I always Wikipedia shit) that Heihachi was actually supposed to be Cloud Strife, but the deal fell through at the last minute. That would have been much cooler ...depending on how much emo one can handle.

Goddammit Squeenix, that would've made a huge difference back then (no matter how much of a Nightmare/Siegfried clone he probably would've been). The FF series was a peak popularity back in 2003 and Cloud would've easily dominated the competition (and made the constant Link vs. Cloud debates from that era even worse (and the inevitable L-Block upset all the sillier (and the final 'Settle it in Smash('s DLC)' even more hype))).

Still, Link was easily the most popular South California guest due to being at his peak popularity and being all about weapons and tools (seriously, bringing a bow/bomb/boomerang/hookshot to a knife/sword/whatever fight; his bullshit was much cooler than Yoda's stubbiness or Dork Apprentice' Force powers meter management), Heihachi bringing no real weapon to a weapon-based fighter (and not being interesting enough to make his bringing of his fists to a knife/sword/whatever fight as badass as it sounds on paper), and Spawn being locked to the XBLOCK (and being a Comic Fanservice character in a Videogame Fanservice role).

Edit: I forgot about Necrid being Teh Apprentice of SCII. Namely because he was king of low effort in that game (no weapon model, and was basically Killer Croc with a Glowy Chest Rock). He's also why Spawn wasn't nearly as great as he could've been (because they were both McFarlane character designs, so you got Chinese Knockoff, Low-effort Spawn (Cape sold separately), no matter which version you got).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:40:53 AM by Aeolus »
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.