Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I wonder why wearing clothes is so difficult for so many female RPG protagonists...

And even when they wear clothes, they're ludicrously skin-tight or have "boob windows" or something ridiculous, right? 

Septerra Core seems to mostly buck that trend.  Maya wears full armor.  Okay, so Led (a girl who's maybe 18-20) wears a tank top and there is a brothel in the game with scantily clad prostitutes, but that's about it. 

As for a new Tales of... game, I don't expect too much from that series beyond a fun-to-play, pulpy, summer-blockbuster style romp.  I just hope that it bucks the trend I complain the most about in modern gaming- miniscule text fonts in dialogue boxes with no way to make them bigger.  If I'm allowed complete wishful thinking, I also want to see someone other than Motoi Sakuraba composing the music.  I think Sakuraba is an uninspired hack.  He farts out so much music that it all sounds boring, generic, repetitive, recycled, and completely unmemorable to me.
While I do agree with you that his music is mostly forgettable, it is at least nice to listen to for the most part.  Having said that, though, I would definitely echo your desire to see someone new get a chance at composing a Tales game's score.  Yasunori Mitsuda or the woman behind the Wild Arms scores come to mind.
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Kevadu on Today at 02:07:29 AM »
Well if you're only on episode 8 you're still in what I would consider the good part of the show.  Let's see how you feel by the end.

Though personally I think the soundtrack for the show was excellent.  Even though it had been so long since I watched it the first time that I had forgotten major parts of the story I definitely still remembered most of the musical themes...
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Aeolus on Yesterday at 11:06:23 PM »
Yeah, its a Shoujo series alright. Every time there's a dramatic close up for 'romance' I keep wondering if this time's the time somebody loses an eye to those shoujoFace.jpg noses.

That being said, I'm now up to episode 8 and I find myself wanting to see Escaflowne in a SRW more than ever now. I wasn't aware that the titular mech's flight mode literally has Vaan standing on top of the thing like a fucking sandworm, but I love the idea of picturing him doing that while blowing up Zakus in outer space while the writers come up with whatever 5 cent bullshit excuse to justify the absurdity of it. Hell, its absolutely not even water tight so you can easily see the gameplay/story segregation even with the D rank in Water across the board (let alone the shenanigans a Screw Module or A-Adapter would incur).

Of course, I can also see why it hasn't been used in an SRW game yet as well since it has some pretty self contained world building. It also doesn't have too much of a soundtrack (its got some incidental music but not much in terms of themes beyond the OP and ED; at least the OP is Yoko Kanno, even if its some of her more middle of the road stuff), so I'd say that the OVA is superior on this front. But then, I've seen SRW do more with less so these things aren't really much of an excuse.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Your favorite basic weapons
« Last post by Aeolus on Yesterday at 08:05:06 PM »
Not really sure what they were aiming for when they made his weapons work that way but yeah....

Rule of Cool.

That being said, Lloyd Bannings of Trails of the Blue/Zero fame.
« Last post by Agent D. on Yesterday at 06:50:42 PM »
Great Axe's have a special place in my heart for the sheer mayhem they can cause, but I've always had a soft spot for suikoden's 2 main protag and his tonfa. I personally can't recall a game outside of nioh atm where those are used by the main protag.

Skies of Arcadia, with bonus points for also being a Cutlass.
I mean he wields them SOMEWHAT like tonfa, but they are just cutlasses. Not really sure what they were aiming for when they made his weapons work that way but yeah....
General Discussions / Re: PS4 or Vita?
« Last post by Rvenes on Yesterday at 06:32:21 PM »
my choice is ps4! and I think it's the best. but to be honest, I haven't tried vita :D
« Last post by Aeolus on Yesterday at 06:16:59 PM »
Great Axe's have a special place in my heart for the sheer mayhem they can cause, but I've always had a soft spot for suikoden's 2 main protag and his tonfa. I personally can't recall a game outside of nioh atm where those are used by the main protag.

Skies of Arcadia, with bonus points for also being a Cutlass.
« Last post by Limlight on Yesterday at 05:20:10 PM »
The wife and I went and saw Incredibles 2 last night. We loved it even though I still think the first one is a bit better. Definitely worth the 14 year wait.
« Last post by Dincrest on Yesterday at 11:14:47 AM »
Even the most basic weapons are stylized like crazy in video games, comic books, movies, etc.  On my most recent trip to India, I visited a kalari (dojo) where they teach kalari-payattu (an ancient Indian martial art that's possibly the influence for the animal-based subsets of kung-fu) and was shown demonstrations of both hand-to-hand techniques and weapons.  Two of the weapons I saw were the chakra and the urumi (basically a whip-sword.)  Both were rather plain looking in terms of style, but quite effective when used properly. 

Watching the guy wield the urumi was wild!  That is such a complicated weapon to wield, since you can seriously injure yourself with it if you lost control.  It's handled more like a whip, but because it has a heavier blade than a whip's leather tail, it requires modified technique. 

In Indian combat, chakram are a throwing weapons somewhat comparable to Japanese shurikens.  Warriors would often carry loads of chakram.  In the Indian comics I read, a warrior would spin a chakra on his finger then let it fly.  FWIW: the word "chakra" literally means circle in Sanskrit and "chakram" is plural. 

Coming back to the topic, along with the staff (as mentioned with McDohl because it's rare for an RPG protagonist to wield that instead of a sword) I can dig a good pair of knives or daggers.  Nothing flashy, but quite effective in rendering multiple strikes in quick succession. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10