Author Topic: Whats the haps?

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #19830 on: October 09, 2017, 02:06:06 PM »
When a bank teller or grocer asks me if I have any plans for the evening or weekend, I find myself flailing for a response. "I'm going to play video games, or maybe watch some anime" isn't exactly something I could say to a normie, but it's not like I can lie extemporaneously, either.  I either say "nothing much", or something completely random about the weather.  Even when a social interaction goes smoothly, I often still feel like an idiot afterward, and end up replaying it multiple times to figure out what I might have said wrong.

The last trip to the grocery store, the guy asked about my weekend plans, and I said "pickling" (the vinegar, spices, and large quantity of garlic served as my alibi).  It only occurred to me later that because this is Canada's Thanksgiving long-weekend, he would have expected an answer that involved some sort of family gathering, and that it was really quite odd that I was spending my time processing vegetables, instead.

I wish they would just let me finish the transaction and go home.  My life isn't that interesting, really.

Haps:  Eight quarts of pickled carrots.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19831 on: October 09, 2017, 02:16:47 PM »
Tch, fuck that. Someone asks what I'm doing over a weekend, it's "Gym, video games, and sleep, in that order each day. Why, you wanna do something instead?" Throws the ball.in their court, makes me seem like I don't care (I actually do, I'm just smart enough to know that lack of concern=cool), and maybe gives me something to do for the weekend.

TASTY!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19832 on: October 09, 2017, 02:19:56 PM »
I remember when video games were a regular part of my weekend.  Those were the days.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #19833 on: October 09, 2017, 02:31:00 PM »
Tch, fuck that. Someone asks what I'm doing over a weekend, it's "Gym, video games, and sleep, in that order each day. Why, you wanna do something instead?" Throws the ball.in their court, makes me seem like I don't care (I actually do, I'm just smart enough to know that lack of concern=cool), and maybe gives me something to do for the weekend.
You're my new role model.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #19834 on: October 09, 2017, 03:43:26 PM »
So current haps. Waiting on my new computer. I was given a 5 hour window of 11-4 for delivery and it is currently 2:41. I suppose this gave me time to deal with all the backing up of files that I was putting off, but dear god this window was ridiculously large. And I have suspicion that they are going to end up being late anyways. *sigh*

Well, yeah, you feel something (the pulling and the pushing), but it doesn't actually hurt. In my case the surgeon trying to get mine out literally said: "Oh... that didn't go quite as planned", but it's not as if you feel the difference. Oh, and don't worry. He quickly explained the tooth just didn't break the way he had wanted it to. Nothing bad. The main downside was that he had to use more force to get it out, leading to that stiff jaw and the whole 'I can't open my mouth far enough to actually put food in there' thing.
...no that's not what I felt. I meant I felt some pain. Especially the time that I'm pretty sure they hit my gums instead of my teeth. >.> Then again, my body processes chemicals weird or something. I was pretty much up on my feet the moment they took the IV out of me. And the most recent time I had local anesthetic, I couldn't move my lower lip for fourish hours but I could still feel pain when my dentist was prepping to fill the cavities. Might have been lessened, I dunno, but I did still feel it.

That sucks. In my case it's the social aspect of it that can keep me up at night. For instance, I barely remember the people who work at the dentist's office, but they all seem to know my name and talk to me as if I see them several times a month. Not to mention that they sometimes try to engage in conversation while their hands I dunno how many tools are in my mouth. Really, what do they expect?
The people who work in my dentist's office pretty much do actually know me since I work one floor above them (in a two story building) and they see me walking up the hill behind the office pretty much daily. So them talking to me like they know me does make sense even if I only really talk to them twice a year. XP Also I personally don't mind when they try to talk to me while working on my mouth since it gives me something to think about during the monotony. Unless they are asking for complicated answers.

When a bank teller or grocer asks me if I have any plans for the evening or weekend, I find myself flailing for a response. "I'm going to play video games, or maybe watch some anime" isn't exactly something I could say to a normie, but it's not like I can lie extemporaneously, either.  I either say "nothing much", or something completely random about the weather.  Even when a social interaction goes smoothly, I often still feel like an idiot afterward, and end up replaying it multiple times to figure out what I might have said wrong.
Just tell them you are planning on conquering China over the weekend. It is an entertaining answer and could be true if you plan on playing Dynasty Warriors over the weekend!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #19835 on: October 09, 2017, 04:22:37 PM »
...no that's not what I felt. I meant I felt some pain. Especially the time that I'm pretty sure they hit my gums instead of my teeth. >.> Then again, my body processes chemicals weird or something. I was pretty much up on my feet the moment they took the IV out of me. And the most recent time I had local anesthetic, I couldn't move my lower lip for fourish hours but I could still feel pain when my dentist was prepping to fill the cavities. Might have been lessened, I dunno, but I did still feel it.

That sucks, but it's not typical, fortunately. I do kinda get where you're coming from, though. Meds just don't work entirely right for some people. In my case it's like medication has too much of an effect, mostly side effects. That ibuprofen I mentioned? At the recommended dose, I was having trouble sitting up for more than a minute or so. I cut it in half the next day and switched to a minimum amount of paracetamol the day after.

Have you ever mentioned this problem to your dentist? They always ask me if the local anesthetic is working before they start and tell me to raise my hand if I notice later on it isn't doing its job.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #19836 on: October 09, 2017, 04:59:24 PM »
Have you ever mentioned this problem to your dentist? They always ask me if the local anesthetic is working before they start and tell me to raise my hand if I notice later on it isn't doing its job.
Eh, I can't really say that I have had much occasion to. Last time I got local anesthetic was 5 year ago, which was around a decade after getting my wisdom teeth removed. And really the pain does not bother me that much. When I was having my cavities filled five years ago I was contemplating asking to do it without the local anesthetic because I find the frozen lower lip much more unpleasant. Didn't bother asking though as I figured they would not want to work like that. XP

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #19837 on: October 09, 2017, 06:21:15 PM »

I like that

If/when anyone asks me what I'm doing over the weekend, I simply answer what I'm doing... which usually involves bicycles, video games, comics books, voiceover stuff and/or music.  I tend to be pretty forthright, so if someone asks me a question I'll give them a straight answer.     

...and I'm looking forward to my charity ride on Saturday.  The weather is looking quite favorable and surprisingly warm.  I might even be able to get away with wearing shorts instead of my tights, which is rare for this time of year.  Every previous time I've done this ride, I wore my fall or winter tights.  And with all my talk about tights, I know many of you are thinking of this song right now:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxyWwIRFK-A
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 06:25:09 PM by Dincrest »
Okay, so you have 5000 friends/followers/etc. on social media.  But how many of them will help you move?

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19838 on: October 09, 2017, 06:45:07 PM »
Dincrest you suave s.o.b., I'm ridiculously impressed by your biking resolve. How many events do you usually participate in per year?

TASTY!

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #19839 on: October 09, 2017, 07:48:25 PM »
Well to the surprise of no one, my computer arrived after 5 meaning that I took time off of work for absolutely no good reason. Hurray! Oh well I think I have it mostly set up now. Still moving some files around, but otherwise everything seems to be good. Going to take a while to get used to how quiet it is though.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #19840 on: October 09, 2017, 07:50:40 PM »
Dincrest you suave s.o.b., I'm ridiculously impressed by your biking resolve. How many events do you usually participate in per year?

This year, I signed up for 4 charity rides but only did 3 because one was rained out.  Next year, I might just do 2-3.  The majority of my riding is either by myself or with my club, and I supplement that with weight training.  I feel like real life has gotten in the way of my training so I haven't been as consistent as I'd like to be, and with cycling if you're off for even 2 weeks, you feel like you've been set back to novice level.  It's not just a sport or a hobby, but a lifestyle. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 07:52:52 PM by Dincrest »
Okay, so you have 5000 friends/followers/etc. on social media.  But how many of them will help you move?

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19841 on: October 09, 2017, 08:04:32 PM »

This year, I signed up for 4 charity rides but only did 3 because one was rained out.  Next year, I might just do 2-3.  The majority of my riding is either by myself or with my club, and I supplement that with weight training.  I feel like real life has gotten in the way of my training so I haven't been as consistent as I'd like to be, and with cycling if you're off for even 2 weeks, you feel like you've been set back to novice level.  It's not just a sport or a hobby, but a lifestyle.
Damn I know how that feels. If I take a week off from weights I come back in timid and worried and everything suffers. Rather be injured and fight with weights I do normally then leave for a week or two to recover and come back feeling terrible. I've been lucky the last few weeks, work has slowed down and I've had a lot of time to get in workouts.

Since the plane pull, I've started dieting and lowering the heavy weights for more reps, basic maintenance really. I'm actually down about 4 lbs after 10 days.l, which I'm not 100% sure is good...but I've been exercising a lot more than average, 3 days on, 1 day off with biking every day and extra cardio on one of the days. Maybe all the heavy weight lifting paid off in the end and my metabolic rate is better than I thought. Only water and a calorie count of under 2400 a day, so I'm cranky atm, but manageably so. Goal wise, I'm aiming for 20 pounds off by december, mid november possibly, and then I'll check all my weight numbers. If I'm still working well and the strength hasn't dipped a huge amount, I'll continue to drop another 50 hopefully by summer next year. It's a long time and I'm not feeling it well yet...but something snapped at the plane pull and I saw myself in a way I didn't like anymore...not just being fat but lacking in another area...it made me mad. Last time I felt like this it became a battle to beat a 315 bench press. I do that for starting up now....maye this could be my next "evolution", lol.

Also of note, 3 days til my wisdow tooth removal. I'm nervous...whee.

TASTY!

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #19842 on: October 10, 2017, 09:55:56 AM »
I took time off of work for absolutely no good reason.

Not being at work is plenty good reason.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19843 on: October 10, 2017, 09:16:27 PM »
My new computer case has arrived but I'm still waiting on most of the stuff to put in it (they were sent in multiple shipments for whatever reason).  But I had fun tearing down the case and seeing how it all goes together.  It's a nice case and very modular.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19844 on: October 11, 2017, 05:10:59 PM »
had an all-timer today...

A patron pissed in a grocery bag in our elevator (we saw her do it on the security camera), and then threw a hissy fit when I made "a big freaking deal" about her trying to throw it away in our 1st floor trashcan.

apoplectic right now

I'm getting married on Saturday I don't need this sort of nonsense.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"