Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Ni No Kuni 2 Revenant Kingdom announced!
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 09:54:17 AM »
And of course there's the insanely gorgeous Forest of Niall. :)
I only just got to Broadleaf this weekend and haven't really explored it yet.

It's funny, design-wise Capstan-Upon-Hull is the most straightforward, but it's like they balanced that by giving it the best of all the town themes so far. :P
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Horizon Zero Dawn
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 09:52:39 AM »
D nailed it.  That teeny tiny unimportant detail is her "biggest complaint".
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 09:51:00 AM »
12 episodes into my Steins;Gate rewatch in preparation for S;G 0.  Remember, kids: watching Steins;Gate subbed is like watching Cowboy Bebop subbed.  You're doing it wrong.
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 09:44:44 AM »
Ni No Kuni II continues to be awesome.  Each time I recruit a new NPC, build a new building, or complete new research I feel like it opens up some cool new thing I want to check out.  I'm sometimes even loathe to keep progressing the story because there's just so much other stuff for me to be doing in the game.

I've switched back to playing as Evan after using the 5th recruited character for a while.  Evan is surprisingly fun to use in battle.  I'm also really surprised at just how insanely good crafting weapons is.  I would have thought loot drops would always get you better stuff, but without even focusing overmuch on Evermore's Weapon Shop I'm still cranking out weapons that are pretty huge upgrades over my loot stuff.  So many addictive mechanics to play with here.  And, of course, every time I make a new weapon I just have to go test it out.  Love it.

I also really enjoy the Skirmish mode, even if it feels largely pointless.  The rewards from it, so far, are decent, but the mode itself is something of its own reward, since it's a ton of fun balancing the squad types against whatever the game sends your way.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Metal Max Xeno announced for the west.
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 09:30:41 AM »
I'm conflicted, since I think obscure franchises need support, but I also totally agree with people boycotting NISA.
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on Yesterday at 01:55:06 PM »
^That's your perogative, but I would like to remind you that we aren't exactly talking about a well-known game series here, and one we're really lucky they're even considering to release outside of Japan - not because of a lack of quality, but because publishers these days tend to play it safe and would rather focus on well-known, established brands when possible. Even NISA had been focusing a little hard on Disgaea for a while, and I'm sure Ys VIII must've been an expensive license, so I'm surprised they're bothering to branch out so soon like this. But as a fan of Mad Max and Metal Max...I'd at least like you to keep in mind that game publishing is still a business, and sometimes they're going to make decisions that have nothing to do with the actual quality of the game in question.
General Discussions / Re: Whats the haps?
« Last post by Marshmallow on Yesterday at 12:26:38 PM »
Its different from a housing bubble. You can walk away from a bad mortage, you can't walk away from student loan debt. So the banks are eventually gonna get paid.

True.  Even if you declare bankruptcy, student loan debt does not get forgiven and you still have to pay the piper.  Makes no dagnab sense.

Or go into public service.  Pay your loans for 10 years and then (usually) the rest is forgiven.  It's a great way to subsidize lower paying jobs where you have to get expensive degrees to be qualified.

Public service would be a good idea if your loan balance is inordinately high, but depending upon the situation you might end up paying more in interest this way than if you just focused on paying off your loans as quickly as possible.  My job would have qualified for loan forgiveness but my loan balance (~$20,000) was low enough that I was able to work a full-time and part time job and pay off my loans in 3 years.  Were I counting on the public service loan forgiveness I would still be paying off my loans today with about 3 years left before receiving loan forgiveness.

That said, I can see this being totally worth it if you have six-figure student loan debts or come close to it.  My wife is still paying off her ~$40,000 loan balance, and I'm sad that the loan forgiveness thing doesn't extend to spouses.
« Last post by MonCapitan2002 on Yesterday at 10:43:14 AM »
Probably.  To be honest, part of the reason I am passing on the game is because it's a half assed effort.  If you aren't going to bother with adding English voice acting and doing a barebones localization, why should I invest my time and money in this game.  It's clear someone at NISA decided this game isn't worth doing a proper and complete localization, so why should I play this game?

I should note that I am Setsuna didn't also didn't have its voiced dialogue redone in English.  While this was annoying, it was insignificant in terms of content.  It was literally just battle voices, so that isn't much of an issue.  However, according to a clip of the game's cut scenes I found on Youtube, there is a considerable amount of voice acting that NISA isn't redoing.  This seriously pisses me off as in this day and age, this amounts to half a job.  Fuck them!

If this game ends up in the bargain bin, I still won't touch it.  The only way I would ever consider playing this game is if it becomes a monthly freebie to Playstation Plus members. 

One last thing, in spite of all my complaints about it, I don't have a problem with including the original Japanese audio so long as English voice work is also present.  I know a lot of fans prefer listening to the original language so making the original dialogue available makes sense.
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Aeolus on April 21, 2018, 11:27:19 PM »
All this talk about the Megaman X Legacy Collection motivated me to replay MMX1 for the umpteenth time. Still a solid game, even if yeah, the weapons aren't particularly good in this (aside from Storm Eagle's and Flame Mammoth's) and the Helmet Upgrade and Hadoken being worthless (Vile still nosells the bloody thing).
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Aeolus on April 21, 2018, 11:22:54 PM »
Watching the new FMP made me realize how little I remember about FMP.
I hope they trickle down some info at the start because I'm pretty lost about the plot already =/

Good luck with this. They're bumrushing the plot and they already skipped some filler (with the only detail of consequence being the end of the already barely there love triangle between Sousuke, Kaname and Tessa).

At least I'm happy that they're trying to keep it set in its original time period, given how anachronistic some of the future tech ends up being compared to what we got today.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10