Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Hathen on Today at 09:09:37 AM »
Well, to balance out your early luck, I dumped all my orbs (~250 of them) into the Bride banner sniping only Blues and came out with a pitybreaker 5* Tailtiu for my troubles. Terrible IVs too, so maybe I'll just save her for when someone wants Blarblade (I actually do want to use one of her eventually, but I've pulled about 8 Tailtius so far but none of them have been +SPD yet). It was nice of the game to give me one blue orb at a time so I had to spend 5 on about 90% of my pulls. Well, big surge of orbs coming from the TT soon so maybe that'll save me.

Softening the blow was getting a few good 3/4* pulls. I got a 3* Athena who I've been waiting for for a while. I got 2 Shigures, one of who is +SPD/-DEF so I dunno if I should keep him around (either way he's top-tier fodder). Finally I got 3 Effies, which puts me at one too many but I'm sure someone will want Wary Fighter soon. Whatever the case that allows me to show off my second shiny border unit.

She still needs DC to be complete, but she's already doing a pretty good job carrying my arena team half the time.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: A JRPG About BOOBS!
« Last post by Der Jermeister on Yesterday at 08:04:24 PM »
Yeah, topical references definitely tend to date videogames, the same going for TV shows.
« Last post by Dincrest on Yesterday at 06:38:57 PM »
...so I guess it's safe to say that none of us will be buying Matrix's Lascivious Labyrinth: Big Boobies game then. 

As for Working Designs, my big issue with their text localizations were the pop culture references.  They always killed any immersion I had being in a fantasy world and would feel totally dated were I to replay it later on in life.  And I agree that some of their gameplay tweaks were terrible.  Silhouette Mirage would have been a totally fun game had they kept the original Japanese play mechanics and balance as is and not thrown a monkey wrench into its works for the US version, making it an absolute kick in the nuts to play. 
Brush and Quill / Re: Book Thread Continued
« Last post by Dincrest on Yesterday at 06:32:41 PM »
I think as Harry grows up, readers both love and hate him because he's believable.  My mom had an unpleasant kneejerk reaction to the aforementioned part in book 5 because irascible Harry reminded her of me when I was in middle school; my middle school years were a thoroughly unpleasant period of time to say the least.  And, for her, that was the point in the series when the wistful fantasy was shattered and things stopped being polite and started getting real. 

I'm still re-reading Hexed: Sisters of Witchdown and am around chapter 14.  I'm impressed that the author is keeping fairly thorough tabs on the consistencies between it, Fall of Cthulhu, and the Hexed comic series.  The only inconsistency throughout all of that is that the protagonist's indelible brand/mark/tattoo is on her left shoulder in some mediums and on her right in others.  But it's something I can more or less handwave away. 

I know some negative reviews talk ill of the protagonist occasionally losing her focus during the story and getting dreamy about what life would be like as a normal teenager, but they don't get it.  The protagonist has had to live an extremely abnormal life beyond the fringes of our reality and continues to live an abnormal life beyond that fringe, so her "anthropologist on Mars" fascination (and occasional consternation) with our mundane is endearing.  It's like how Arthur Weasley is fascinated by the muggle world and the stuff we think nothing of he finds marvelous. 
« Last post by Der Jermeister on Yesterday at 06:28:11 PM »
Yeah, ability to die and get a game over after final bosses = one of the worst ideas ever.

There was also an Obvious Beta part of Arc the Lad II where character sprites in a town are invisible after beating the nearby dungeon.
« Last post by Aeolus on Yesterday at 03:17:44 PM »
Matrix Software has created games other than those listed, and their quality to me tends to be hit-or-miss, so I can't say I'm excited for their latest title. By the way, I don't think Working Designs' translations are all that great, to be honest. In the original Lunar games and their remakes, for instance, they say "Mel founded Meribia" instead of just "Mel governs Meribia" like he does in the original Japanese version of the titles, which contradicts the spinoff manga that says Meribia is over a century or so old. There's also dialogue like "The world will once again be mine on a delicious half-shell." Sorry, but if movies had dialogue like that, they'd get torn apart by critics. The Lunar 2 remake also had really shitty, unnatural battle dialogue. I also didn't care much for the fact that they left the Japanese voicework in the Arc the Lad games intact, which sounded more like gibberish than actual Japanese.

WD also had the tendency to hack their games to make them generally less playable because nothing screams 'difficulty' than archaic horseshit like limited saves, inflated HP totals/stats, the removal of items (or in Lunar 1's case, the addition of a key item that both takes up one of your extremely limited inventory slots and is tossable for an easy dead man walking scenario).
Brush and Quill / Re: Book Thread Continued
« Last post by Der Jermeister on Yesterday at 02:47:10 PM »
I can sort of emphasize with Harry since I was fairly troubled as a youth, and while Harry Potter house quizzes mostly put me in Ravenclaw, I'd probably have been right at home in Slytherin since I was delinquent and rebellious at the ages I would have attended Hogwarts.

I also recently finished The Elfstones of Shannara and am (re)watching The Shannara Chronicles on Netflix since I tend to half-watch shows when they originally aid.
« Last post by Der Jermeister on Yesterday at 02:11:18 PM »
Matrix Software has created games other than those listed, and their quality to me tends to be hit-or-miss, so I can't say I'm excited for their latest title. By the way, I don't think Working Designs' translations are all that great, to be honest. In the original Lunar games and their remakes, for instance, they say "Mel founded Meribia" instead of just "Mel governs Meribia" like he does in the original Japanese version of the titles, which contradicts the spinoff manga that says Meribia is over a century or so old. There's also dialogue like "The world will once again be mine on a delicious half-shell." Sorry, but if movies had dialogue like that, they'd get torn apart by critics. The Lunar 2 remake also had really shitty, unnatural battle dialogue. I also didn't care much for the fact that they left the Japanese voicework in the Arc the Lad games intact, which sounded more like gibberish than actual Japanese.
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Der Jermeister on Yesterday at 01:14:31 PM »
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I've found a few of the memory locations, and am working on the shrines topping the Dueling Peaks.

Resonance of Fate - Ugh. Have to fight a boss in Chapter 12 with just one character, and while I've been able to get far, a combination of the helicopter boss itself and the ground troops get me. I sold a lot of materials I don't need to get a new machine gun, and purchased a crapload of upgrades, maxing out my best pistol and machine gun, and will give it another go. Can't wait for this game to be over.
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Rucks on Yesterday at 09:14:37 AM »
BoF IV : That dungeon where you have to put apples on stumps to lure out the elephant/apteryx creature to chase it around narrow trap-filled ramps while constantly being attacked by the same 3 annoying enemy types?
... REALLY don't like that dungeon.

Enjoying the game otherwise.

BoF IV is best BoF, stick with it.  The payoff is one of the most gut wrenching scenes in the history of JRPGs. I literal teared up. 

My own play log: Tales of Vesperia is the 2nd best Tales game after Eternia and it's no one's fault but my own that I waited so long to get this deep into it. 
Darkest Dungeon is perfect for Switch (and handhelds in general) because it's so easy to pick it up, play one dungeon and then go do other things. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10