Author Topic: RPGs with party commands outside of battle

jaes

• View Profile
RPGs with party commands outside of battle
« on: May 08, 2011, 05:41:36 PM »
I'm wondering if there are any good RPGs, where it's possible to place the individual party members in the environment as the player sees fit - outside of battle?

I'm thinking of something like the stealth mode in Baldur's Gate 2 and Knight of the old Republic, but with fewer restrictions... At least as I remember it, you could only do it with thieve-like classes in those games.

The reason I think it could be fun is because it would give the player more creative and tactical tools to solve the quests with. E.g. in KotoR you could setup traps/ambushes by splitting up the party that way. With more freedom it would obviously be possible to do even more. It doesn't have to be total freedom, though, it's ok if movement is restricted to the same area.

I guess it would be a bit like some tactical strategy games, like Commandos, but with RPG-like abilities and tasks. But to be clear; I'm not looking for strategy-RPGs.

I own a pc and a few consoles, but don't let that be a restriction - platforms come and go :)

EDIT: "Without restrictions" changed to "fewer restrictions", in the second paragraph.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 05:51:24 PM by jaes »

Perigryn

• Infrequent, but still here.
  • Contributing Editor
  • Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.
    • View Profile
Re: RPGs with party commands outside of battle
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 08:49:45 PM »
Fallout Tactics did this extremely well, in my opinion.

You have a stealthy sniper that you send ahead to scout while your explosives guy plants mines for an ambush, the medic hangs back, patching up from the last engagement. It's pretty sweet.
Just Greg, thanks.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 02:52:01 AM »
Other than the limitation that they have to be on the same map, you had total freedom with your party members in the Baldur's Gate games so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.  There weren't any restrictions.  Planescape: Torment as well since it's based on the same engine.

Actually, the Dragon Age games have continued that tradition (albeit it's a bit more awkward to implement), though splitting your party is rarely useful in practice.  Especially in the second one, with enemies just spawning out of nowhere all the time.

jaes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 08:56:41 AM »
Fallout Tactics did this extremely well, in my opinion.

You have a stealthy sniper that you send ahead to scout while your explosives guy plants mines for an ambush, the medic hangs back, patching up from the last engagement. It's pretty sweet.

Thanks, I'll check that game out, although I'm pretty sure it's a strategy-RPG. But if it more or less has the same kind of exploration as a "normal" RPG, I might give it a go.

Other than the limitation that they have to be on the same map, you had total freedom with your party members in the Baldur's Gate games so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.  There weren't any restrictions.

Thanks. But is there also freedom to place the party members, when your're not in a battle, don't they just follow you around automatically unless you enter stealth mode? I might have remembered wrong, then. And if it's the case, then I just need more games with a similar system to BG1 and 2 (or 100% turn-based games.)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:48:01 AM by jaes »

DPB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 10:14:24 AM »

Other than the limitation that they have to be on the same map, you had total freedom with your party members in the Baldur's Gate games so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.  There weren't any restrictions.

Thanks. But is there also freedom to place the party members, when your're not in a battle, don't they just follow you around automatically unless you enter stealth mode? I might have remembered wrong, then. And if it's the case, then I just need more games with a similar system to BG1 and 2 (or 100% turn-based games.)

No, they don't follow unless you're using one of AI scripts that specifically tells them to.

There's also Icewind Dale (+expansion) and Icewind Dale II which use the same engine and combat system as BG/BG2 and PST, though neither of them are anywhere near as good.

jaes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 03:30:17 PM »
Ok, thanks for clarifying and the suggestions.