Author Topic: Tales of the Abyss 3DS to See English Release

Tomara

• View Profile
Re: Tales of the Abyss 3DS to See English Release
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2011, 03:25:04 AM »

I don't recall Suikoden V having bad loading times? Unless I'm just really patient or something.

The world map was pretty bad.

Anyway, I've put over 100 hours in the original, but I'm still going to get the 3DS version. I have no idea how many times PS2s can be brought back from the dead, but I think my American one will reach its limit soon (poor old PS2 :( ). I wouldn't mind having an extra copy of my favourite on a system that is still young.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2011, 01:40:38 PM »
I so want this game. And I'd want it even more if they leave the Japanese opening intact.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2011, 02:25:04 PM »
I so want this game. And I'd want it even more if they leave the Japanese opening intact.

Bamco seems to like eliminating all traces of japanese language in games, so I doubt it would use that version.
It may actually choose to put it in english.

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2011, 03:02:59 PM »
Yeah, SuikoVs load times were the worst I've ever seen, they may have not been the LONGEST I've ever experienced, but they were the most frequent. Walking in and out of doors at your home castle was just horrible. If you know you're going to end up with bad load times, don't design the game where you have to load different screens every 5 seconds! Dragon Quest VIII may have had the longest load times on the PS2, even taking 5secs to load the menu sometimes, but at least the areas were huge and battle loading was seemless. No, SuikoV is truely aweful. People complain about Lost Odyssey, but that was nothing compared to SuikoV, not even close.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2011, 03:10:04 PM »
Dragon Quest VIII was also a casualty of localization and SE wanting to try to cater more to western sensibilities, namely in regards to the menus. I don't think any entry will be that extreme in changing again, certainly I hope we don't have the same thing happen with menus again because that flash just isn't going to be noticed or cared about after several hours.

Akanbe-

• Meep
    • View Profile
    • RPGamer
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2011, 04:10:35 PM »
Dragon Quest VIII was also a casualty of localization and SE wanting to try to cater more to western sensibilities, namely in regards to the menus. I don't think any entry will be that extreme in changing again, certainly I hope we don't have the same thing happen with menus again because that flash just isn't going to be noticed or cared about after several hours.

How was DQ8 changed?  It seemed like a normal game from what I recall.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2011, 06:03:56 PM »
i think i remember someone saying the original didnt even have voice acting.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2011, 08:11:15 PM »

How was DQ8 changed?  It seemed like a normal game from what I recall.

Like Alisha said there originally wasn't VA, but they also changed how the menus looked (it originally was the same as all the prior DQs and DQIX) which, while more visually appealing, ended up adding load times that simply did not exist originally, and they inserted orchestral music which I recall hearing added to the load time. It's mostly a shame only because Level 5 touted how they made it nearly load-free, only for that aspect to be spoilt some in localization. Not to a very problematic degree though, it was still better than a lot of other games.

MindCandy

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2011, 10:58:58 PM »
I never noticed Lost Odyssey having hideous load times. I never even installed it. Maybe my memory is a little foggy on that though.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2011, 01:23:22 AM »
It was roughly on par with the later PS1 Squaresoft games. If those didn't register to you then I can see why LO didn't either.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2011, 02:35:41 AM »

Bamco seems to like eliminating all traces of japanese language in games, so I doubt it would use that version.
It may actually choose to put it in english.

I bet they'll reuse the opening from the PS2 version and there is nothing wrong with that.

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2011, 11:07:04 PM »
Well, DQVIII had some of the greatest voice acting I've ever heard from an RPG, so I won't complain about that. As for the menus... what was so lavish about them? They reminded me slightly of the Skies of Arcadia menus, which I thought were superior and had NO load times (granted, the GameCube was a powerhouse in terms of preloading). As for the music, MOST games, PS2 and upward, use audio tracks instead of midi. Even if it's not actually orchestral... the difference between a modern synth orchestral score and the midi that a game system can handle in real time are like night and day. In fact, I suspect that over 75% of the time, you're being fooled. And furthermore, many games that use audio tracks don't have problems with load times, so I don't buy it.

I think it was poor coding. Probably due to the tacked on additions to the North American interface.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2011, 11:39:33 PM »
what was so lavish about them?

This is all the Japanese version had. Admittedly visual representation may be preferred, but even then you could theoretically load an image in the corner or something unless the ram is THAT tight. Speaking of which I'm not sure I'd call it poor programming, they likely did a very, VERY good and efficient job that had little room for modifications, but ended up having to make modifications for international release.