Author Topic: New parent

spikyhairjon

• Let's Survive!
    • View Profile
New parent
« on: May 26, 2011, 01:59:13 AM »
I just became a new parent about a week ago and I was wondering if any other gaming parents had any tips about being a gamer and a parent.

Lazlowe1984

• Restricted Members
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
Re: New parent
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 02:15:24 AM »
I'm not a parent but I suggest

Radiant Silvergun
Dark Cloud 2
Persona 4

Great games,check them out

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 02:48:55 AM »
Learn how to game with one hand.

Code: [Select]
While you're holding a baby, you perverts!
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 10:53:49 AM »
Congrats!  I'd say check out turn-based strategy games.  Disgaea, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, that kind of stuff.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 12:42:40 PM »
Learn to love the pause button.

Adapheon

• The original hobo with a shotgun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 01:13:57 PM »
Congrats, my daughter is 2 weeks old tomorrow, I still haven't figured out how to game and raise the child, I more or less have thrown the baby to the girlfriend and run to my gaming room in the hopes she doesn't realize I'm back there for 30 minutes at a time. Probably the best way is to learn to sleep at work and not get fired.

Commander Jubby Shepard

• What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.
  • If you come back you will find me a very grave man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 03:19:09 PM »
Play games with your kid. Believe me, we kids love sharing hobbies with our parents that we find fun. I still try to make my dad play games with me every so often.
If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.

CastNuri

• AMG A GIRL
  • There are no coincidences.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 03:36:01 PM »
It'll probably be a few years before you can play video games with your kid but you should definitely warm to playing baby games with her/him. Peek-a-boo, pilot, etc.

You're naturally going to have to cut back on your personal gaming time for a while but you'll be bonding with your child and babies can be very entertaining. :)

Note: Mind you, I'm far from being a parent so anything I say is from babysitting my nieces/nephews and listening to my 'rents.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:10:46 PM by CastNuri »
"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 03:47:27 PM »

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

Bytor

• Ego Enhancement Consultant
  • Hiding in Inaba
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 04:25:18 PM »
When my son, who is now an avid gamer, was young I learned to play late, late at night and survive on little sleep. Now, late night and early morning sessions are my "be alone quality game play time"...old habits, lol, and CONGRATS btw, kids are great fun (for the most part)
Everything's Eventual

GrimReality

• Dark Lord of Nostalgia
  • OK, options aren't SO bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 04:57:47 PM »
I am a parent of a 10 year old so I can offer a bit of advice/insight.
There is no way you will be able to play as much as you used to. Accept this, and you'll be better off. I rarely, if ever, played games around my son when he was young, and still don't. On the list of things I'd like to pass on to him, gaming is pretty damn low on the list. I tend to play at night after my wife and son have gone to bed. Despite this, my son still expressed interest in playing games. I didn't allow him to start playing until age 6 or 7, though. He is restricted on how much he gets to play, and I make sure he spends plenty of time outdoors and playing with other kids.
I would recommend getting a bit more picky about what games you play. Don't waste your time on mediocre stuff or you'll miss a lot of good games. I'd also look for shorter games or you'll be stuck on the same game for months at a time.

*spoiler alert* honest opinion on babies below!
I don't envy you the experience of having a baby in the house. It was pretty much torture. Very little sleep, stinky diapers, incessant crying, etc etc etc. Let alone all the money spent on said stinky diapers, formula, and everything else. I absolutely could not wait for him to grow up.
I don't know how anyone ever decides to have more than one. The wife and I agreed that we didn't want to go through that again.

Now he's 10 and I love him to death and think(know) he's a great kid. Incredibly insightful, intelligent, respectful of other people, and full of that 10 year old wonder at life.
Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: The Backyard Parables

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 06:32:34 PM »
If you shake it enough, it will eventually be quiet. At least, according to Peter Griffon.

I'd personally get used to being behind the trend of gaming, and start investing in a nice comfy toilet seat since the only gaming you'll probably get in is on the throne.

TASTY!

Commander Jubby Shepard

• What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.
  • If you come back you will find me a very grave man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 07:02:04 PM »
Alright, I'm going to repeat this bit of information, but I'll add something new to it. FIND SOMETHING YOU AND YOUR KID CAN DO TOGETHER

It's really important to us. I know that my dad tried with sports, but I can't stand most. After that he gave up. I tried getting him into video games, but he didn't like it too much (I'll keep trying with Tales of Vesperia). This really put a damper on our relationship. Seriously, activities you can do together ARE HUGE to us. I don't know how much I can stress this, but find something you two can do together and have fun with. You might have to sacrifice something, like if he enjoys sports while you enjoy video games, but find SOMETHING you can do.

/end of mini-rant
If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 12:25:45 AM »
My advice:

Don't fuck up.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

spikyhairjon

• Let's Survive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 05:40:32 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice (besides shaking the baby) and the congratulations . I definitely plan on playing games with her, if she wants too. Hopefully she likes video games cause rpgs will be a great game genre to play together since then tend to have good stories