Author Topic: Nintendo announcing new console at E3?

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: Nintendo announcing new console at E3?
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2011, 01:39:55 PM »
Ew, I'd argue some of that list...

Fair enough - to be honest, I only included Twilight Princess because other people think it's good (I hated it) - but would you say that there weren't even five games on the Wii worth playing?

I think the rest of those games are worth playing, though.  Are they all legendary titles that will live on in the memories of gamers forever?  No.  But they're worth playing.

I'd say Twilight Princess is to the Zelda series as MegaMan 10 or X2 were to the MegaMan series. Fantastic level design but with mediocre weapons that had potential but never any practical use. The overworld being as bland as it was didn't help matters that much either nor was the wolf gimmick as it was basically lifted straight from Majora's Mask but without the versatility that the multiple transformations allowed.

I loved TP, I think it was the dark atmosphere was fresh and welcomed, to me.  And I loved some of the TP weapons, the spinner was great (when it actually *could* be used), the ball chain was fucking baller.  There is two things I hate, but this is a series fault than a title.  First, most weapons are only good in the dungeon you get it in (since you're free to choose which you want to hit first).  And the larger problem with them game entirely, is that it is too easy.  But again, I toss this to a fault of the series, I fucking hate the first dungeons of these games because you only have 3 hearts to emerge victorious with.  More than that, and you start to take a beating quite well.  Wolf link loses necessity, and the Twilight Dimension (the one short-ass dungeon) is barely scraped upon... damn shame.  I actually loved how Twilight looked, the dark and ominous tune was frightfully delighting -- it was so different!  And, c'mon, Midna deserves some credit for being somewhat enjoyable to watch (especially compared to Links other, seemingly, mandatory partners he gets in every game).

I thought this overworld was alright though... I don't know how you can say TP's overworld is bland without looking to the much more severely boring Ocarina-version of Hyrule.  The endless ocean was more interesting to look at than that one. 

Actually, in general.  I hate how the game makes me feel like it takes place in a crater you can't get out of, the edges of the Hyrule are nothing but earthen walls....
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2011, 07:54:42 PM »
If I remember correctly, the part that made me quit playing was the second time I had to chase a burning stagecoach through a field.  Tried it about 50 times before I said "Screw it - I wasn't enjoying this game anyway.  I am done for good now."
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2011, 06:17:41 AM »
Well, Sony didn't get my money this time around. So hopefully, the PS4 will be backwards compatible, and I'll have two whole generations to play through. That's what I seem to have done, switch around consoles every generation so I have back catalogs and new series that I hadn't had before.

I really have no allegiance. Sure, I was a bit Wii happy there for a bit, and truth be told, I got my money's worth, Nintendo's never let me down so far (I actually really loved the gamecube). However, I tossed aside my hatred for Microsoft, and got a killer with the 360, which has given me some great times. My first console (besides emulation) was my trusty PS2. I still have it, I still play it from time to time. And I'll be happy to throw down for a PS4 if it looks good.

However, I still say Nintendo will rule the handheld market for a generation or two more. Sure, the 3DS's lineup looks like a bag of crap, and the specs on the NGP look pretty sweet, but Nintendo's always been right on the money with the handheld market. I think Sony's aiming a little too high with this one, just like they did with the PSP. I already have my iPhone, and so will everyone else by the time the NGP rolls around (or an Android), so I think that makes downloadable games a little less of a concern then everyone's making it out to be. It's still nice to have a handheld game system that knows it's just a game system.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2011, 10:28:18 AM »
Ew, I'd argue some of that list...

Fair enough - to be honest, I only included Twilight Princess because other people think it's good (I hated it) - but would you say that there weren't even five games on the Wii worth playing?

I think the rest of those games are worth playing, though.  Are they all legendary titles that will live on in the memories of gamers forever?  No.  But they're worth playing.

I'd say Twilight Princess is to the Zelda series as MegaMan 10 or X2 were to the MegaMan series. Fantastic level design but with mediocre weapons that had potential but never any practical use. The overworld being as bland as it was didn't help matters that much either nor was the wolf gimmick as it was basically lifted straight from Majora's Mask but without the versatility that the multiple transformations allowed.

I loved TP, I think it was the dark atmosphere was fresh and welcomed, to me.  And I loved some of the TP weapons, the spinner was great (when it actually *could* be used), the ball chain was fucking baller.  There is two things I hate, but this is a series fault than a title.  First, most weapons are only good in the dungeon you get it in (since you're free to choose which you want to hit first).  And the larger problem with them game entirely, is that it is too easy.  But again, I toss this to a fault of the series, I fucking hate the first dungeons of these games because you only have 3 hearts to emerge victorious with.  More than that, and you start to take a beating quite well.  Wolf link loses necessity, and the Twilight Dimension (the one short-ass dungeon) is barely scraped upon... damn shame.  I actually loved how Twilight looked, the dark and ominous tune was frightfully delighting -- it was so different!  And, c'mon, Midna deserves some credit for being somewhat enjoyable to watch (especially compared to Links other, seemingly, mandatory partners he gets in every game).

I thought this overworld was alright though... I don't know how you can say TP's overworld is bland without looking to the much more severely boring Ocarina-version of Hyrule.  The endless ocean was more interesting to look at than that one. 

Actually, in general.  I hate how the game makes me feel like it takes place in a crater you can't get out of, the edges of the Hyrule are nothing but earthen walls....

The dark atmosphere was great as well as the atypical invader requiring alternate means to fighting up until "Oh look, Ganon." then Zant became nothing more than a butt monkey and the Fused Shadows were reduced to a two scene wonder before getting pwnd off screen in the most anticlimactic way possible. As for the items, a few may have been cool but just like in MM10 (you know what, MM3 WAS the better example) they were mostly superfluous despite their coolness factor as they're only useful in the situations that called for them like bosses or the occasional Piece of Heart/E-Tank with an exception or two (Gale Boomerang/Shadow Blade). Also you weren't free to choose which dungeon you could tackle as you still needed to hunt light bugs/find out what plot macguffins are needed for the second half/get handed your directions/assistance from the bar crew/getting the Light Sword needed to enter the final dungeon. As for ease/lack of difficulty, I'd say that TP was actually an improvement over what was in WW or either of the N64 titles as there were more challenging fights offered by a larger variety of enemies than just the N64 Stalfos or WW's Darknuts, plus they finally nerfed the potions and rareified the fairies enough to still let them be useful without outright 2x your maximum health per bottle. They just need to drop the max heart total from 20 down to 16 or something. The wolf form really was nothing more than a glorified transformation mask that loses most of its utility after the Arbiter Grounds. After that it's basically there as a combined Shovel/Flute/Lens of Truth/fast travel.

While nothing can really top OoT's post timeskip's barren overworld (which I pray they address in the 3DS remake otherwise, pass) the fact that you had Epona plus the fast travel songs and the fact that it wasn't all that big to begin with that made traveling from one point to another a non issue. TP on the otherhand is so fucking big that it was divided up into three separate main sections that still took time to cross even with Epona and the wolf's fast travel.

If I remember correctly, the part that made me quit playing was the second time I had to chase a burning stagecoach through a field.  Tried it about 50 times before I said "Screw it - I wasn't enjoying this game anyway.  I am done for good now."

Have you ever tried to put out the fires with the Boomerang?
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2011, 11:04:31 AM »
Oh, I did that.  Or at least attempted to.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2011, 04:58:40 PM »
Looks like Nintendo once again wants to go for innovation over tech specs. Not sure weather a new console with already outdated hardware is a good idea though. It looks like they want the pad to be a big selling point, worked for the Wii (for a while at least). On thing I am fairly sure of, is that they no longer want me as a customer. I'm over 10 years old, I'm not a chick attempting yoga, nor do I consider playing video games to be the number one choice at a party. I grew up with Nintendo but they have been consistently letting me down from the N64 onwards.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2011, 02:11:56 PM »
Looks like Nintendo once again wants to go for innovation over tech specs. Not sure weather a new console with already outdated hardware is a good idea though. It looks like they want the pad to be a big selling point, worked for the Wii (for a while at least). On thing I am fairly sure of, is that they no longer want me as a customer. I'm over 10 years old, I'm not a chick attempting yoga, nor do I consider playing video games to be the number one choice at a party. I grew up with Nintendo but they have been consistently letting me down from the N64 onwards.

Thing though is that they don't really need to push the envelope to match or surpass the 360 at this point. What they need to do is fix their online policies and make their next WiiWare not pants on head retarded and they can pretty much get away with an underpowered system. Remember, the PS3 has only begun to pay for itself, the 360 is even older than the Wii and just shoved out their 360lite, and both just finished making their responses to the Wiimote.

Unless Microsoft has the 720 or whatever waiting in the wings for its E3 announcement, Nintendo has the perfect opportunity to completely sweep the rug out from under the competition. Granted I can't see them actually seizing the opportunity fully, but a meaningful upgrade now could do much to expedite Kinect's departure to the Island of Misfit Peripherals and utterly demolish the Move's momentum.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2011, 03:16:53 AM »
Guys, call me old fashioned, but I'm just not sure that online download for a console is really as important as everyone thinks.

People shell out $300 for a HD console... I really doubt that the first thing on their mind is Angry Birds. Consoles are just not in direct competition with iPhones and Androids. As much as I like to pop open my iPhone while on the go, I've never once thought of playing it at home. Large consoles are always going to be pushing that envelope in terms of space requirements that downloads are just not going to be very compatible with. I think it's pretty likely that this next Nintendo Console will use some variant of BluRay or HD-DVD media (probably proprietary). I dunno about you, but I'm sure as hell not going to download an entire BluRay game/movie with my DSL connection. Downloadable infrastructure is a necessity for handhelds and smart phones, where most titles are 3-minute time wasters in which no one expects the be-all-and-end-all in immersion, but it's always seemed awkward on consoles.

With that said, Nintendo DOES need to get their ass in gear with the 3DS online architecture. That is really where it really counts.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2011, 03:22:49 AM »
Large consoles are always going to be pushing that envelope in terms of space requirements that downloads are just not going to be very compatible with.

A lot of Steam games exceed 10 gigabytes. Not like that guarantees it'll catch on very soon as THE way to get console games, or that it won't be halted if bandwidth control tightens in the future, but it IS something that's going on right now, and has been for years.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2011, 11:52:11 AM »
The thing about downloading all of your games for a home console is that many places restrict peoples' overall downloads for the month.  For example, there's a podcast I listen to once a week.  It's about 90 minutes and audio only, and in one episode, they thanked people in some countries for listening, because just that show was taking up half of what they can download in a month.  I can't imagine that four 90 minute audio only podcasts are even 1 gig...
—Kurt Vonnegut