Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Der Jermeister

• Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #7785 on: January 05, 2018, 07:05:21 PM »
Got a new Keyblade in Kingdom Hearts Union Cross in my quest to complete the Proud Mode Quests.

Still having a good time dicking around in Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Encountered the first difficulty spike in Resonance of Fate in Chapter 1, where I'm at a sequence of battles, one of which has enemies on a raised central area and lower outer area, with the mobster foes sometimes being inconsistent in whether they take scratch or critical damage, and I'm had to rely on my machine gunner to wear away their scratch HP gauges, although the bottom enemies quickly put my party in critical state. I'll definitely mess around with different strategies.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7786 on: January 08, 2018, 11:59:07 AM »
Encountered the first difficulty spike in Resonance of Fate in Chapter 1, where I'm at a sequence of battles, one of which has enemies on a raised central area and lower outer area, with the mobster foes sometimes being inconsistent in whether they take scratch or critical damage, and I'm had to rely on my machine gunner to wear away their scratch HP gauges, although the bottom enemies quickly put my party in critical state. I'll definitely mess around with different strategies.

Have you figured out the weird leveling up, yet?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Der Jermeister

• Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #7787 on: January 08, 2018, 12:23:12 PM »

Have you figured out the weird leveling up, yet?

I know how to level my characters. I did make it past said battle to the boss of the area, and I surprisingly beat it my first try, although I was in "critical" state when I landed the killing blow, so I somewhat got lucky.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7788 on: January 08, 2018, 01:31:49 PM »
Wild Arms 2  - I have to admit I had to consult a FAQ to finish the Millennium Puzzle. My issue was that I wasn't aware you could freeze the moving blocks. No sweat after I learned that.
I then paid a visit to the Grotto of Lourdes, and subsequently went to the Sacrificial Altar (which took me longer to find than I would like to admit) . I just finished up at The Lost Garden, and am currently preparing for/awaiting the landing of the nuclear weapon: Guswein, or whatever its called.

Gotta say, it might be one of the "lost in translation" issues this game has, but it's weird how Ashley returned to almost zero fanfare.... It was like another day, heh.
Also, monsters in the last few dungeons have been way easier than the enemies in the pillars, and the former all seem to be packing Mega Berries. This game seriously hands you free passes throughout.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7789 on: January 08, 2018, 02:15:22 PM »
STILL playing Morrowind.  Nix Hounds are annoying.

that is all.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7790 on: January 08, 2018, 03:10:14 PM »
Wild Arms 2  - I have to admit I had to consult a FAQ to finish the Millennium Puzzle. My issue was that I wasn't aware you could freeze the moving blocks. No sweat after I learned that.
I then paid a visit to the Grotto of Lourdes, and subsequently went to the Sacrificial Altar (which took me longer to find than I would like to admit) . I just finished up at The Lost Garden, and am currently preparing for/awaiting the landing of the nuclear weapon: Guswein, or whatever its called.

Gotta say, it might be one of the "lost in translation" issues this game has, but it's weird how Ashley returned to almost zero fanfare.... It was like another day, heh.
Also, monsters in the last few dungeons have been way easier than the enemies in the pillars, and the former all seem to be packing Mega Berries. This game seriously hands you free passes throughout.

I dunno. Having one of the last surviving villains from the first half threaten to Bury Ashley's Everything to the point of commissioning a Tombstone that reads "Here lies your Everything." is a pretty warm welcome.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Der Jermeister

• Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #7791 on: January 08, 2018, 03:14:03 PM »
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Still messing around, taking jobs from the lowest point costs to the highest.

Etrian Odyssey V - Still on the first floor. Has slightly suffered from early-game hell, but I can (sort of) heal my characters now, so I'm proceeding smoothly on the first mission.

Kingdom Hearts Union Cross - Still working on Proud Mode missions.

Resonance of Fate - Just got to Chapter 2. Lucked out on the Chapter 1 boss after getting past that battle giving me a slight hard time (with the mobsters or whoever on the raised platform and goblins or whatever around it).

Salt and Sanctuary - A little after the first boss. Pretty sure most know I don't care much for the Souls games, but this actually hasn't been half-bad (largely due to its being 2-D making the gameplay somewhat different from the 3-D Souls titles), and I've found a grinding spot I'm farming so I can use a more powerful spear one-handed. I started out as a paladin. This wooden enemy that follows a trap has somewhat been giving me a hard time, but next time I confront it (after a few levels), I'll try a different approach.

Super Mario Odyssey - Broke down and got a Switch. Was originally to get Breath of the Wild, but due to a mess-up from GameStop I ended up receiving Mario instead, but since both games have been critically acclaimed, I figured what the hell. Been enjoying myself thus far, and am after the opening cutscenes after getting Cappy.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 04:03:26 PM by Der Jermeister »

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #7792 on: January 08, 2018, 05:49:08 PM »
Trails in the Sky, the 3rd

...and it was ridiculous.  Seriously ridiculous.  I was not prepared for that and died twice.  My first two game overs.  On the 3rd attempt, though, I had kinda figured out the proper strategy, but...  is there a working strategy that doesn't involve perfectly timing Kevin's Grail Sphere?

Earth wall spam.  Set up someone to cast fast and spam Earth Wall(An Earth Quartz+Onyx(Action) Gem+Time(Cast) Gem+EP Cut 4+EP4), then cast Clock UP EX on them. It basically removes any difficulty from the game.  Almost required if you ever plan to play Nightmare mode

Haha I'm happy three games in Earth Wall is still the best secret weapon. x)
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7793 on: January 08, 2018, 06:22:45 PM »

I dunno. Having one of the last surviving villains from the first half threaten to Bury Ashley's Everything to the point of commissioning a Tombstone that reads "Here lies your Everything." is a pretty warm welcome.

True dat. Definitely one of the most poignant moments in the game... that I could understand.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #7794 on: January 08, 2018, 08:21:14 PM »
I bought Life is strange before the storm and finished ep.1 it says ep2 is installed but its not letting me play it. Anyone have this problem?

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7795 on: January 08, 2018, 09:49:09 PM »

True dat. Definitely one of the most poignant moments in the game... that I could understand.

The good news is that the game's most poignant moment come has yet to come (you'll know it as mentions of something about "Vacillating in the Blood." comes up).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7796 on: January 09, 2018, 01:28:58 AM »
Finally hit a wall in Paragon and just quit outright. The characters I thought I was good with turned out to be easily counterable once I started facing better opponents. Trying different characters just reintroduced me to a steep learning curve, and going back to my old staples after being away from them for a while just withered whatever skills I had gained. Now I'm either losing terribly, or I'm getting carried by better teammates. I'm not really learning anything from it, I'm just not having fun. So, I figure it's finally time to move on to greener pastures. Dunno what that'll be, but I've got a lot of games to play. I'll figure something out, I'm sure.

I did spend some time with the M.U.G.E.N. project I started back in August. It seems I forgot to work out that spreadsheet I was gonna use for testing, but at least I got to mess around with different fighting game characters, reminding me how fun those are.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #7797 on: January 09, 2018, 01:30:23 AM »

The good news is that the game's most poignant moment come has yet to come (you'll know it as mentions of something about "Vacillating in the Blood." comes up).

I remember liking the disc 1 finale.  And yeah given the hack script I was surprised how moved I was by some of Wild Arms 2's big dramatic moments.... truly drama transcends language.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7798 on: January 09, 2018, 09:44:28 AM »
Trails in the Sky, the 3rd

...and it was ridiculous.  Seriously ridiculous.  I was not prepared for that and died twice.  My first two game overs.  On the 3rd attempt, though, I had kinda figured out the proper strategy, but...  is there a working strategy that doesn't involve perfectly timing Kevin's Grail Sphere?

Earth wall spam.  Set up someone to cast fast and spam Earth Wall(An Earth Quartz+Onyx(Action) Gem+Time(Cast) Gem+EP Cut 4+EP4), then cast Clock UP EX on them. It basically removes any difficulty from the game.  Almost required if you ever plan to play Nightmare mode

Haha I'm happy three games in Earth Wall is still the best secret weapon. x)

Oh yes.  @ScottC changed my life with that post.  I was even able to use it effectively against the final boss.  It was awesome.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #7799 on: January 11, 2018, 07:53:49 PM »
- Metroid: Samus Returns

It's nice and all but lacking as a Metroid game.

The control scheme was horrible, free aim was a pain in the ass. I very much preferred the locked angle of the previous classic games. I don't know if the "new 3ds" improves the handling but on my cheapo 2DS it didn't flow well.

What about the uppercut mechanic? I don't think it has a place in the main series which is known for its deliberate, slow paced gameplay. Don't play Metroid for the action nor am I a fan of the Prime games.

Visually, it was very drab (not that the original is much better, being on the GB). However, in Metroid II, the deeper you got, the more suffocating it was and you would find a lot of organic matter too, indicating you were approaching some kind of nest. Meanwhile, in SR you have a bunch of sterile, large rooms. Didn't like the 3D graphics at all, where was the beautiful 2D art?

On the bright side: The map was a blessing. To this day I still have no idea how I managed to complete the original Metroid II by myself, without consulting any external sources. Metroid fights were another improvement, felt dynamic and way better than the missile sponges of the original. I also loved the end sequence, nice Super Metroid foreshadowing.

Nonetheless, it could've been better. Felt like Nintendo threw bones in order to shut up the people asking for a new game. I know the series won't print money or move systems like Mario or Zelda but at least treat your IPs with a modicum of respect. Have yet to play AM2R, but I feel it might indeed be the superior Metroid II remake. A work of love.

- TES IV: Oblivion

The internet hivemind was right: what a mess.

The overworld was made of boring green hills and tress, laced with tacked on shrines here and there. I didn't find a single thing that made me go "Hey, what's that structure over there? Better check it out!". Dungeons looked identical, visually speaking: brown caves, grey temples. Even, the towns were all copy-pasted affairs (well, Bruma had snow).

Mechanics were weird. You have dice rolls mixed with real time stuff, jany as hell. I did like magic being mapped to a specific key, though. No word on the infamous scaling, since I had heard it was so bad I modded it out.

Most of the sidequests were better than Morrowind's usual fetch approach or Skyrim's "kill draugr to solve all problems". I didn't mind the repeated voice actors, but the sudden voice changes were eye-rolling.

I didn't last long (around 20 hours, I think) because it was extremely boring. Didn't even complete the main quest. Elements of both Morrowind and what would eventually be Skyrim were present but didn't mix well, like oil and water. It's as if the game was unsure of what it wanted to be: a full blown RPG or an action title. Reminded me of Dragon Age II.