Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back

Frostillicus

• View Profile
Re: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« Reply #5070 on: August 10, 2018, 12:07:43 PM »
Wasn't the entire point of Ready Player One to beat nostalgic game references down your throat? 

I won't belabor it, but if that film wasn't aware of how ham fisted it was being it would have been entirely unbearable to watch (though the book was worse)

I suppose, but I didn't quite think of it that way. Nostalgia is the movie, but it didn't feel to me that it was being excessively forced. Greatly used and acknowledged, ...but not forced.
I guess I'm saying that we've all encountered plenty of modern media that tries to get through to consumers by pathetically implying "Hey, remember this?", and that's all there is to it. I felt as though it was done better here. There was at least a little bit more to it than that.
See? You've already got me thinking too much about a movie that doesn't require it. Dangit, Rucks.

EDIT: One key thing I forgot to mention, I was very high when watching it. ...Which probably more than explains my viewpoint.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 12:11:51 PM by Frostillicus »
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5071 on: August 10, 2018, 12:20:57 PM »

EDIT: One key thing I forgot to mention, I was very high when watching it. ...Which probably more than explains my viewpoint.

that part was implied

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #5072 on: August 10, 2018, 12:29:08 PM »
^ Indeed. I'm sure everyone figured that is usually the case with me when I said I enjoyed Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters. A deliciously guilty pleasure, that one.
I loved how much Grim disliked that movie.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5073 on: August 10, 2018, 12:36:30 PM »
^ Indeed. I'm sure everyone figured that is usually the case with me when I said I enjoyed Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters. A deliciously guilty pleasure, that one.
I loved how much Grim disliked that movie.

A very self aware film.  I actually loved it...

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #5074 on: August 22, 2018, 01:39:07 AM »
From Hollywood, I saw Ant Man and the Wasp and Mission: Impossible Fallout. The former was another McDonald's Hamburger from Marvel, and the latter was probably the best action movie I've seen since Fury Road.

Though I'm more interested in talking about two East Asian movies I saw recently- the two Along with the Gods movies from Korea, one released in 2017 and one was released a few days ago. Apparently there are two more sequels are planned and I would not mind watching more of them, because these are easily the best East Asian movies I've watched in many years. At least as far as ones released recently, anyway. Admittedly I don't watch that many (though probably more than most around here :P), but I put this miles above the crappy blockbusters coming out of Mainland China nowadays (Some notable ones I've seen are Red Cliff, Legend of the Demon Cat, The Mermaid and Wolf Warrior).

Basic premise is: Guy dies and has to be judged for his life's deeds in the underworld before he can qualify for reincarnation. I have read that some believe the story gets a bit melodramatic, and I would agree to some degree but I think the movie earns it. I recommend it.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5075 on: August 22, 2018, 10:02:53 AM »
Watched Netflix's Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society the other night.  I can't believe something this beautiful, compelling and wholesome was made in the last year.  If you're as sick of Netflix's usual uber-dark, TV-MA nonsense as I am, I highly recommend this.  It's very much like a good, 2-hour episode of Downton Abbey (with 4 Downton cast members in it, to boot, lol).
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Insert clever quip here.
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #5076 on: September 08, 2018, 05:54:35 PM »
I watched Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them today.  I enjoyed it as a popcorn flick.  I was more interested in seeing it, because I want to see the sequel Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindenwold.  I think Jude Law is pretty cool and I want to see his portrayal as young Dumbledore.   

Anyway, the plot of Where to Find Them  was pretty cliche and progression felt patchy at times, but the visual design was creative (particularly
Spoiler: show
Newt's pocket dimension
).  It stoked my imagination the way the Harry Potter films do and I liked that it was more about adult wizards on an adventure rather than kid wizards.  However, some of the "romantic" interactions came off as adults acting like awkward teens.  I also think that some thematic elements that were barely a blip on the radar and heavily glossed over could be expanded upon to create more grown-up lore for J.K. Rowling's wizarding world.  For example, in examining the way Arthur Weasley and Queenie view muggles/no-majs... both are clearly fascinated by them/us, but how much of their muggle/no-maj enthusiasm is fetishism?

Speaking of expanding J.K. Rowling's world, I hope that Rowling realizes that America is a BIG country (at least 10 states are bigger than the UK) and every region is wildly unique. I hope that the America based magical school Queenie briefly mentions in the film is not the only school of its kind in America.  America is vast and a veritable mosaic of cultures, so it would make sense to me that there would/should be more than just one magical school in this country. 

If you look at Native American mysticism, different tribes have their own unique views, lore, practices, mythologies, traditions, etc. because of their varied and widespread geography.  We typically associate peyote and going on "vision quests" after taking it as something Native American tribes did, but that's limited to tribes who lived in the more southwestern desert regions where peyote grows, since peyote is a cactus.  And then when looking at the influences brought over from abroad, you get unique regional mysticisms like Louisiana voodoo that's an amalgamation of several traditions from the African diaspora.  Leaving the mainland, there are the Inuit traditions in Alaska and the Polynesian ones in Hawaii.  There's also magical creatures.  Folks who grew up in New Jersey would probably be familiar with the Jersey Devil and the Red Lion.  However, those who grew up in the southwest or Puerto Rico would be more familiar with chupacabras. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 06:00:46 PM by Dincrest »
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey