Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal

Klutz64 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #4695 on: December 01, 2017, 01:49:15 AM »
I'm still skimming the frst two arcs of DB Super. It's been a real slog. So much worse than the movies, but I think I've watched most of the new scenes that matter so far. I'll start up the new third arc soon-ish. Hopefully tomorrow, or at least this weekend.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: December 04, 2017, 09:42:49 AM »
I initally thought that Aldermain on the Sky was some generic shonen for some reason. However hey it was excellent and not some generic shonen at all. People should watch it! Pity because they it set up nicely for season 2 but supposedly it tanked so hard that the LN was even cancelled.

Tatami Galaxy, yea, I wanted to like it but the dialogue comes toward you at ludicrious speed and I spent whole episodes not watching anything while trying to follow the subtitles.

Recently watched Grimgar again. I think even liked it more the 2nd time. I'm always a sucker for that like of watercolor/sketch backround art style and I think of an anime that did fights better.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: December 04, 2017, 12:12:56 PM »
Pretty sure I recommended Alderamin when it was still new...yup, I did.

But what's this about the LN being canceled?  According to wikipedia there's another volume coming out in just a few days.  Looks like it's been releasing twice a year pretty consistently.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: December 07, 2017, 04:55:02 PM »
rewatching Samurai 7. Still great.

Kurosawa was a genius.  I've seen his stuff remade dozens of times and it still mostly holds up.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: December 11, 2017, 07:46:31 PM »
Pretty sure I recommended Alderamin when it was still new...yup, I did.

But what's this about the LN being canceled?  According to wikipedia there's another volume coming out in just a few days.  Looks like it's been releasing twice a year pretty consistently.

I went online to find out if there was ever going to be a season and read posts that the anime tanked and there are no more LNs coming out. I assumed it to be true because the internet is never wrong.

anime strike has Garden of Sinners. well done amazon.

besides the holy crap where did this WTF love triangle come from Samuari 7 was a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:49:50 PM by Rook »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4700 on: Yesterday at 03:47:57 PM »
I figured I'd get a head start on looking at next season's anime, since I've been in the mood for some new anime in general. Been in sort of a rut for a while now.

The chart: http://anichart.net/Winter-2018

Only standouts for me personally are Trigger and A-1 picture's joint project, "DARLING in the FRANXX" - not just because of the people who are working on it, it just really sounds like my bag. Also the second season of "The Seaven Deadly Sins," though I might have to wait since I watch it on Netflix (maybe? I'll have to look and see whether they're simulcasting it or not).

There are others of note, of course:

Overlord 2 - I know some people here were looking forward to this. I really didn't care for the first season, it just doesn't seem like a story I could get behind. Still, it'd be nice if the second season is more faithful/a better adaption of that continued story, instead of rushing through what I'm told was an important arc.

Basilisk: The Ouka Ninja Scrolls - a sequel to Basilisk, a series I have never seen, but at least I've heard of it.

Fate/Extra Last Encore - an anime adaption of the PSP game, Fate/Extra, presumedly so you don't have to put up with the gameplay to get to the good part now. I personally dislike the Fate series for a number of reasons, but I think there are a few members here who might be interested in how this turns out.

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card - The adaption of the Cardcaptor Sakura sequel manga. I honestly haven't seen more than a single episode of the uncut version of Cardcaptor Sakura, and I still don't think it'd be something I'd get into. Still, it's interesting that it's getting a televised sequel after all this time. It really does feel like the 90's all over again!

Also, there's a sequel to The Silver Guardian. I barely even remember that being a thing.

The Disastrous Life of Saiki 2 andHitori no Shita: The Outcast 2nd Season are two other shows in that same bhoat. I completely forgot these were ever a thing, but I guess someone was asking for them(?)

You would think I'd be interested in Killing Bites, but I honestly haven't been more turned off by a series description in quite some time.

...that's all I got. Oh, and Yowamushi Pedal has a 4th season now...I still haven't seen the first season, since I'm not really into sports anime.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:58:12 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: Yesterday at 05:33:08 PM »
Next  season seems really meh to me.  I got a feeling a lot of people that are into Overlord are not gonna dig season 2 that much, at least for the 1st half of the season.

I am kinda interested in how Fate Extra turns out.

Will avoid Death March like it carries the plague.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: Yesterday at 07:50:44 PM »
Pffff that last next season review is weak. There's not enough emphasis on Isekais.

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-hen
New (anime) material from a side-story. Solid team so quality should be pretty good.

Death March Kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyousoukyoku
Satou gets transported to another world. He's almighty but actually doesn't feel like doing much with his power so he prefers the idea of just wandering around and try to live a normal life. Too bad he's a nice person and ends up saving others (and gathering more and more of a harem).

Fate/EXTRA Last Encore
Fate side content. Just like last season's FATE, don't expect anything impressive.
I guess Type-moon is starting to scrape the FATE barrel here.

Hitori no Shita: The Outcast 2nd Season
Season 1 was surprisingly good. It's a mystic / martial art action anime.
The main girl is quite something and makes the whole thing interesting (and by that I mean the plot around her)
I remember the plot of the last 2 episodes of season 1 being minor mind blown.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san
Good comedy/life manga so likely good anime. Takagi keeps teasing Nishikata who swears that one day he'll stop falling to her pranks.
Takagi is a master troll. The author even had a chapter where she trolled the entire readership. It was magnificent.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni
After a long depression due to an injury, a high school girl falls in love with a widowed old man that has a kid who helped her when she needed help.
Her love isn't being taken seriously by the man though who simply dismisses it. The story is her struggling to try and prove that she wants a serious relationship.
Don't expect some moe moe high school girl pandering here. This is seinen (serious adult).

Overlord 2
This season goes mostly away from the cast of season 1 and instead for a good while focuses on entirely new characters.
A brave move from the author that could have tanked the whole novel, but the new characters end up being endearing and interesting to the point where you root for them... as they fight... *REDACTED*

Pop Team Epic
Have you ever wondered what a meme gag manga written by an gamer / troll / NEET / otaku on acid would look like?
It would probably be awful and nobody would publish it... and then there's Pop Team Epic.
Give it a watch just to see if you like the humor. It's weird but it can be pretty damn funny if it's your kind of humor.

Black Clover
It's continuing... so this video will only get longer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA_CjK_Rbd8

Dragon Ball Super
UNIVERSE SURVIVAL ARC

As for specials/movies/ova... there's seriously nothing at all.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:01:52 PM by Annubis »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: Yesterday at 09:33:44 PM »
Sorry, but every light novel adaption I've seen so far has been utterly disappointing, so I just stopped caring.

RE: Black Clover - oh, so it really is Naruto all over again? Complete with a screaming, obnoxious protagonist? Great...
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:39:06 PM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: Today at 02:03:19 AM »
Death March is shit even by isekai webnovel standards...and those aren't very high.

I don't know, I'm pretty meh on the whole upcoming season.  Hopefully something will surprise me...

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: Today at 05:18:18 AM »
Oh hey, I found one that I didn't see on the list: Hakyu Hoshin Engi

A new adaption of a 90's manga. Looks pretty rad, reminds me why I loved those 90s anime designs. Very expressive.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes