Author Topic: Book Thread Continued

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread Continued
« Reply #1920 on: November 28, 2017, 12:09:04 PM »
Right now I'm juggling the Barsoom books and the Sixes Wild series by Tempe O'Kun (furry literature). Since the speech function on my iPad somewhat locked it up I've resorted to minimizing the text size so I can preview the text and take notes before reading each page, and it's still worked more than maxing the font, since that made it easy to get lost in a plot.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #1921 on: December 12, 2017, 07:53:18 PM »
I had some time to read more Lord of the Rings.  I'm in the middle of the chapter "Treebeard" in The Two Towers.  I must say, this and the preceding chapter "The Uruk-Hai" have been two of my favorites because they're Merry and Pippin chapters.  Merry and Pippin actually have personalities, unlike everyone else (particularly the folks in the Fellowship) who are all just boring slabs of exposition.  Like, when Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli talk, I have trouble telling who's who since none of them have distinctive personalities and have all just been interchangeable mouthpieces for exposition.  Aside from Merry and Pippin, only Treebeard has shown a personality.  Tolkien's worldbuilding is incredible, but his characters leave much to be desired. 

One thing is bugging me from the Uruk-Hai chapter, though.  When Grishnakh
Spoiler: show
frisks Merry and Pippin for the McGuffin in order to stage a mutiny against Ugluk, Pippin teases him by saying, "Gollum, gollum" and referring to the ring as "my precious."  HOW?!?!?!?!  There is NO WAY that Pippin had any prior knowledge of Gollum to even know to do that.  And no amount of logic-leaping rigmarole is making this make sense to me. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:00:19 PM by Dincrest »
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: Yesterday at 09:52:18 AM »
You really don't think Pippin heard all about Bilbo's adventures while living in the Shire??  Bilbo probably told that story hundreds of times.  Everyone in the Shire could have made that joke.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons