Author Topic: Retro Encounter Podcast Thread

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Retro Encounter Podcast Thread
« Reply #720 on: September 22, 2017, 09:19:14 AM »
Well... yet another game to cram into the middle of my sparse playing schedule.  SWEET!
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Raven

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 18, 2017, 11:22:12 AM »
Is it me, or is the recording of the Final Fantasy IX podcast corrupted? When I play the mp3, it skips to 1:04:00 the moment the podcast reaches the 06:52 time point 

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #722 on: November 18, 2017, 12:51:42 PM »
Iím out of the house right now, but Iíll check when I get back. Will be a few hours. I still have the master MP3, so I may just need to re-upload it.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #723 on: November 18, 2017, 12:57:18 PM »
I checked, it's not just you. Please check back a little later today and we'll have this sorted. :)

Mike

• Administrator
  • Oathkeeper
    • View Profile
    • Valkyrie Studio
« Reply #724 on: November 18, 2017, 01:59:38 PM »
Is it me, or is the recording of the Final Fantasy IX podcast corrupted? When I play the mp3, it skips to 1:04:00 the moment the podcast reaches the 06:52 time point 

We identified the cause as an issue uploading to our server. Weíve re-uploaded the file and it should be fine now, but let us know if you have any issues.

(If youíre listening via a podcast app, you may have to delete any cached versions)
"Donít be ridiculous. Martha Stewart isnít a demon. Sheís a witch. Nobody could do that much decoupage without calling on the powers of darkness."

Raven

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: November 19, 2017, 02:43:03 PM »
Thanks for the quick fix, I did not run into any further issues after re-downloading it. It was fun to hear FF9 being praised into the heavens :)

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: December 13, 2017, 03:47:27 PM »
Really loving the Memoria podcasts, guys!

But have to say: Final Fantasy X-2 is one of my Top 5 FFs.  It sounds like some of the hosts need to go back to that one.  Amazing combat, superlative job system, great soundtrack and visuals, and a plot that actually does get pretty good toward the back half.

You guys were also pretty unfair toward The After Years which, from an objective standpoint, was easily superior to IV as an RPG.  Come at me.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #727 on: December 13, 2017, 05:04:49 PM »
no

freakin

way

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: December 13, 2017, 05:16:59 PM »
Way.

FFIV: good characters and GREAT music, coupled with a smooth battle system and a "just ok" plot, all stuffed into an on-rails experience with little exploration, even less difficulty/strategy/planning, and no customization or party-building at all.  Everything is decided for the player and every playthrough is identical.

FFIV The After Years: good characters and great music, coupled with a smooth battle system and a MUCH more intelligent plot and handling of characters, tons of party building and potential for customization, as well as just the right amount difficulty to keep you playing with the myriad of cool characters you can use.  Tons of replay potential.

Those are just the facts.  I know which one I'd sooner go back to.

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #729 on: December 13, 2017, 06:19:28 PM »
I think I like X-2 for the most part. I've played it twice, so I'm fairly happy with saying it has the best combat in the series and a really cool and unique job mechanic.

The After Years is...unnecessary, but I'm glad you liked it! FFIV falls just outside of my top 5, so maybe that's why I'm not so keen on The After Years. I totally get your criticisms of IV though, which is why, after playing nearly every other title, it slipped out of that ranking but I think it has its memorable bits. It's not aged particularly well either, compared to the other SNES contemporaries. Each to their own, and that's why listener comments are always welcome :D Thanks as always Arvis!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: December 14, 2017, 10:33:38 AM »
The After Years is...unnecessary

Ya got me there.  IV felt pretty well complete.  A sequel to... well, ANY other FF that came after IV would have made a lot more sense.

That said, I stand by the assertion that, from a gameplay standpoint, TAY easily trumps IV.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: December 14, 2017, 01:26:12 PM »
FFIV: good characters and GREAT music, coupled with a smooth battle system and a "just ok" plot, all stuffed into an on-rails experience with little exploration, even less difficulty/strategy/planning, and no customization or party-building at all.  Everything is decided for the player and every playthrough is identical.

As much as I love IV (my favorite of the series), and want to defend it against your criticisms... I can't. You're not wrong.  ...Except that the plot is better than "just ok." It's "decent".

Well said, sir.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 14, 2017, 02:11:04 PM »

As much as I love IV (my favorite of the series), and want to defend it against your criticisms... I can't. You're not wrong.  ...Except that the plot is better than "just ok." It's "decent".

Well said, sir.

Heh, thanks! :)
I really believe that it's the characters that make it memorable.  The plot itself can delve into "downright laughable" territory at times (especially when it comes to Kain), but it honestly doesn't matter that much because of the (mostly) lovable and interesting characters.