Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #18525 on: January 04, 2017, 01:15:04 AM »
Mars Attacks freaked me out in that crazy way where you know you aren't really supposed to be freaked out and it's all cartoony but it gives you super weird and paranoid feelings anyway.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

XERQ GRANITE

• Super FreQ
  • WUB WUB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18526 on: January 04, 2017, 01:22:32 AM »
I don't see role crafting game sticking around as a genre label...seems to similar to role playing for WAAAY too small a subcategory of game. I'd almost favor calling games like that "minecraftian" or something, sort of like calling the subset of sidescrolling action adventure games "metroidvanias". Personal opinion, don't mind it too much, I'm probably wrong anyway.
There aren't a whole lot of RCGs ATM, but the list has been growing almost as fast as FPP games ^_6 Most of them are just Minecraft Knock-Offs, but there are some great unique ones though! ^_6 I see what ure gettin at though, it is quite a small selection to consider a genre right now, but I also see the potential of them and what they can become! ^_6

Welcome to the board, bathrooms are down the hall and to your right. Lights out never.
Aww crap, what was the door to the left?? :p Cleanup on isle 2! Lol :p ^_6

this is not how to handle a first contact mission guys
Motherfucker I watched Mars Attacks, I know what happens when they make weird faces and laugh too much!

I hated Mars Attacks when I was younger because the aliens turned people into skeletons and I was like really afraid of skeletons. Or well less afraid of skeletons, more that I thought they were really gross and served as an uncomfortable reminder of the frailty of human life. I'm okay with Undertale though. It's less skeletons per se, especially living skeletons, but more people turning into skeletons.

oh but like legits the pogo guys from Earthbound with the skeleton lyrcasuits made me kind of uneasy even when I was a kid. And that was just a costume!

but oh man, the skeletons on the Magic Carpet 2 menu screen were kind of too much for me. Also that bit in the Mechwarrior 2 intro where the one mech steps on on a human skull. Or that one movie where the guy's riding the roller coast after he gets kicked out of someone's death office and lands in a pile of skulls. idk what movie that was. I thought it was that one weird live action Mario Bros. movie but I kind of doubt it.

anyway I know some people like skeletons a lot and I respect that because we all have our own opinions and that's what makes life's rich pageant beautiful but I TELL YOU WHAT BROTHER, THAT JUST AIN'T FOR ME.

Seriously though, spent a good chunk of the evening sticking keyboard controls into an old game that didn't otherwise support them, and also started coding some experimental kanji dictionary thing (except JDict's site's down so that's on hold). Productivity is nice!
I used to be goth and maaan you'da hated my skull collection, lol :p

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 01:26:05 AM by XERQ GRANITE »

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18527 on: January 04, 2017, 01:49:02 AM »
Ok, I'm not a mega grammar nazi, but if I ever catch you using "ure" over "your" or "you're" again I'll have to beat you to death with a super nintendo controller.

TASTY!

XERQ GRANITE

• Super FreQ
  • WUB WUB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18528 on: January 04, 2017, 02:11:52 AM »
Ok, I'm not a mega grammar nazi, but if I ever catch you using "ure" over "your" or "you're" again I'll have to beat you to death with a super nintendo controller.
LMAO, ma' bad, "you're" ;) :p ^_6 Can't say I won't slip up here n there though, I use a lotta "internet slang" when I'm not writing something that has to be professional, y'know?? :p I'm tasked with the responsibility of making The FreQ Community's DLC Pitch look and sound professional and we've been working on the pitch for over a year now, so it's a lot to put together and organize in a neat and professional manner and usin some slang helps me chillax and give my brain a bit of a break :p I'll try to curb that one though suh! :p ^_6

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #18529 on: January 04, 2017, 05:05:14 AM »
I hate to alarm you, Mesh, but there's a skeleton inside of you. And she's busting to get out.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18530 on: January 04, 2017, 10:08:24 AM »
O___________________O

Ok.  Back to interesting topics:

I thought VII's had more "hit single" pieces (than VIII)

Understatement of 2017!!  Will it be topped??

VII's OST has track after track after track of top-quality, ultra-memorable, superlatively evocative melodies.  I don't think it's an overstatement to suggest that 50% of the reason VII is as legendary as it is is because of the soundtrack.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18531 on: January 04, 2017, 12:44:39 PM »
I hate to alarm you, Mesh, but there's a skeleton inside of you. And she's busting to get out.

Oh, is that the same for me, you think? I mean, I thought it was just heartburn, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just trying to create an exit point...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #18532 on: January 04, 2017, 03:57:38 PM »

Understatement of 2017!!  Will it be topped??

VII's OST has track after track after track of top-quality, ultra-memorable, superlatively evocative melodies.  I don't think it's an overstatement to suggest that 50% of the reason VII is as legendary as it is is because of the soundtrack.

Not that you were comparing the two, but to me VII had the better soundtrack, but VI was more impressive, if that makes any sense.

XIII is my personal favorite soundtrack, though.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18533 on: January 04, 2017, 04:10:08 PM »
VII had the better soundtrack, but VI was more impressive, if that makes any sense.

That makes perfect sense.

I can never decide between the two, myself.  They are both utter perfection in VGM form.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #18534 on: January 05, 2017, 10:37:40 AM »
After covering 3 different shifts for other people, thereby not having a single day off this week and dealing with irate customers all week because our manager decided to take a vacation with the store a disaster I wake up and can't take a shower because there is no hot water.

Great start to the year.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18535 on: January 06, 2017, 01:16:36 AM »
After covering 3 different shifts for other people, thereby not having a single day off this week and dealing with irate customers all week because our manager decided to take a vacation with the store a disaster I wake up and can't take a shower because there is no hot water.

Great start to the year.
Join the club. My asshole landlord to be turns off the waterheater everyday, I can't shower at my house most of the time right now. Can't fucking wait to get out of this shithole.

TASTY!

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #18536 on: January 06, 2017, 01:25:57 AM »
FF7 had some nice tracks, I'll grant, I just agree with Dincrest 8 is superior.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #18537 on: January 06, 2017, 05:53:12 AM »
I never said VIII's was superior; just that the quality of the songs was more consistent over the course of the whole OST.
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends."
     -Schmendrick (The Last Unicorn)

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #18538 on: January 06, 2017, 07:42:03 AM »
Dincrest I keep watching a how to make Indian Tea video over and over again because it just is so relaxing.

One day I should actually try some Indian Tea as well.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #18539 on: January 06, 2017, 01:15:43 PM »
I'm thinking of resurrecting my 360 so that I can finally play Lost Odyssey again.
I bought the game new way back when, and lent it to a coworker before I made any real progress, because there was some other game I wanted to finish first. He eventually moved out of state without returning it to me... jerk. I liked what I played, so getting back to it some day has stayed in the back of my mind.
So of course, I have to buy the game again, and the best price I can find it for is just under $18 US. Would those of you who have played it say it's worth that price, or am I just looking at what little I remember through rose-tinted glasses?