Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Brush and Quill / Re: Book Thread Continued
« Last post by Dincrest on Today at 04:17:07 PM »
My reading list is already miles long, so I'm trying to be more focused about it.  Otherwise, seeing a ginormous backlog browbeats me and something I love starts feeling like work. 

Anyway, I'm still making my way through Three Musketeers.  D'Artagnan and the titular musketeers are planning their journey to London for D'Artagnan's secret mission. 
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Tales of Discussion 2: Dawn of the New Megathread
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 04:11:05 PM »
I hope the main female in this one is just completely naked (save for just a cape).  That would be the next logical step forward from Velvet.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Your favorite basic weapons
« Last post by Starmongoose on Today at 04:07:15 PM »
I enjoy a good Chakram.

General Discussions / Re: Whats the haps?
« Last post by Starmongoose on Today at 04:00:59 PM »
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Your favorite basic weapons
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 03:44:58 PM »
I'm a Spears/Polearms guy.  Always have been.  I enjoy their defensive nature and underrated versatility.

That said, who doesn't love lightsabers?
Brush and Quill / Re: Book Thread Continued
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 03:43:16 PM »
I mean, there's the Hyperion saga by Dan Simmons, @Dincrest , but I guess that's... probably more sci-fi.
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 03:40:22 PM »
Trails of Cold Steel 2

Everything is coming along swimmingly.  I back into my usual Triple Advantage every battle, never get hit, enemy never gets a turn pattern that I enjoy so much.  I just got to the Nord Highlands and my current party is
Spoiler: show
Rean of course, Elliott, Machias, and Claire.  Not even using Fie!  Take that, RPG Fan Common Sense!

and even for "large" monsters and chest monsters (*snickers*) this party is so well equipped that I still win without the enemy getting more than a turn or two.  My last party member I mentioned above has that Craft called "Flawless Leadership" that seems pretty ridiculously great.  My last chest monster started with her doing that move, and then another party member using "Burst Drive", and I got a bunch of turns in a row and obliterated everything.  I didn't even remember Overdrive (a new mechanic I have been enjoying quite a lot).

This may sound boring and easy to some of you, but I enjoy this immensely.  Plus it isn't like I am not trying.  I spend a lot of time on character builds to try and be as dominant as possible, so to see it working is very satisfying.
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 03:32:54 PM »
Yes, Jimmy, it's basically all Discord now.  A lot of people who used to post here regularly don't even check the forums anymore, much less post in them.  But they're very active on the Discord.
« Last post by Jimmy on Today at 03:24:11 PM »
So is everyone on Discord these days? I just ask because I didn't login into the forums all weekend and there were only a few topics that had new posts. Seems even more sparse than last year.
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Klyde Chroma on Today at 09:01:35 AM »
Octopath Demo: Kinda amusing that the game doesn't immediately boot you out at the 3 hour mark considering that I ran afoul of the time limit just prior to fighting the boss of the scenario I was on (but yeah, I was just about to leave town and finish my Therion's intro quest, and this was after starting with Ophilla and following up with H'anaat).

Lufia 2: Just about done hanging out with Lexis and getting my final party together at last.

I swear you have the uncanny knack for playing EXACTLY what I want to be, but just can't seem to get into at present for the life of me. By extension, your posts make me happy because if I'm not actually playing at least I can come to the journal and get your commentary :-D

I really swore Octopath would have been a day 1 purchase for me but I'm still too engaged/distracted by other titles.

------

Rise of the Tomb Raider : Really surprised I didn't see/missed more praise for this one's design and execution. I'm gonna blame poor release window and exclusivity for that. I mean it DID come out as an Xbox exclusive around the same time as Fallout 4 if I recall.

I'm not claiming the game doesn't have some problems, and environments ARE a bit ugly. This can be, and is, all forgiven in wake of scripted action sequences and great puzzle design. Surprisingly enough too, the vertical-ity of stage design is done well enough to remind me of my time with HZD earlier this year which is saying something. I am only roughly 10 hours in though, so I don't want to sing it's praise too highly just yet.

X-CoM 2 : Surprised they were able to make ye' ol' familiar X-Com while departing the title so much from it's predecessors and trying some new things. Not much time spent yet but I'm loving it so far and have not discovered any of the circulating complaints to be troublesome for me (time restrictions, unfair, et cetera...). I am playing on PS4 without War of the Chosen because supposedly it is still a glitchy mess and I'm NOT risking data loss and that brand of trouble with the title considering I like to play X-Com without save scumming to really embrace the brutality of the game mechanics. This sort of sucks because I did already purchase WotC on sale but it seems silly to have a bad time with the game based on principal.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10