Author Topic: E3 2017

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: E3 2017
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2017, 04:13:35 AM »
Maybe it's just because VR is new territory, but I actually found myself getting the most excited for the VR games on display. Seriously, there were 7 games that had me giddy like a school girl, to a level only Spider-Man has previously managed to eek out of me.

Superhot still gets me excited after all this time, and I would love to see how all that bullet-timey stuff works in VR.

And in that light, DOOM VFR looks cool just based on its teleportation gimmick alone. It's just nice to see an old classic reinventing one of the most basic aspects of its genre.

Then again, Skyrim VR still sold me just for giving me an even more immersive version of a game whose world I already fell in love with. I was already sold on the Nintendo Switch version based on its motion controls, adding a VR helmet clinches it...especially since I always try to roll with helmet in these games as early as possible. :P

On a similar note, Bravo Team looks like another realistic rail shooter, but I'm at least curious to see what that type of experience would be like in VR. Granted, my hopes aren't too high, since my money is that it'll be way too sensually bombarding, kind of like how a real firefight is...

And seriously, I don't know who thought there was more than one person out there who wanted VR Final Fantasy Fishing, but I want to personally mail them a thank you card. :)

In fact, now that I think about it, whose idea was No Heroes Allowed! VR? I mean, I still definitely want to play it, but that was one franchise I did not expect to see again, let alone at E3.

Now, I don't think they really showed much of Star Child, it looks too damn pretty for me to ignore. I'm already a sucker for pretty sci-fi, especially if there's platforming involved. Not to mention I'm pretty sure the robot they showed at the end is supposed to play a major part. Every since I saw the footage of Cry, I really wanted to try a game like that, where you're involved with both the main character, and a giant that assists said character.

That's also a big part of why I'm interested in Moss, althought the other half is that I used to read a ton of Redwall. Like, a ton. (Ghost of a Tale is also on my radar entirely for this reason). It really brings back the memories, but it also looks cute and fun on its own. I like you control both characters simultaneously. Definitely gonna have to rewire the ol' synapses for that trick, I'm sure.

...so yeah, I really hope this whole VR thing does well and takes off, because it really seems to be an exciting space that I haven't felt in ages.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 12:14:06 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2017, 08:01:15 AM »
so it seems Monster Hunter World is also for Xbox and PC, I don't think Capcom has done that before. Maybe they're trying to open up their markets? Maybe MS was thirsty for some monster hunting action with Scalebound dead.

I don't think there were any jrpgs in the MS conference, 1 if you count Black Desert. Sony showed some Ni no Kuni 2 stuff in the pre-show, but overall nothing too big in the RPG world.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

Lulcy

• Warrior of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2017, 08:47:14 AM »
Re: Monster of the Deep - Final Fantasy XV

I'm glad this series can allow for some self-awareness and absurdity. To me, it shows the dev team are having fun whilst working. It's a shame some in the fanbase do not share similar appreciations.

I also like fishing in real life so I am hook with this.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2017, 10:29:16 AM »
I have never been more disappointed with a trailer for a video game than I was with Beyond Good & Evil 2.

And where the heck is Dragon Quest XI!?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2017, 11:38:19 AM »
I have never been more disappointed with a trailer for a video game than I was with Beyond Good & Evil 2.

You know, I can safely say that I love swearing and foul mouthedness...but that trailer for Beyond G and E 2(pretty as it was) was pretty fucking stupid. A lot of swearing for the sake of swearing, seems like it's just tryung to be edgy.

TASTY!

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2017, 11:49:11 AM »
Not completely unbelievable for a mob boss or whatever to swear like a sailor, but that wasn't what BG&E was about at all. Maybe it'll be a great game (the visuals were nice at least) but it doesn't seem like it'll be BG&E.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2017, 11:57:27 AM »

You know, I can safely say that I love swearing and foul mouthedness...but that trailer for Beyond G and E 2(pretty as it was) was pretty fucking stupid. A lot of swearing for the sake of swearing, seems like it's just tryung to be edgy.

I frequent internet message boards, so I get exposed to plenty of swearing.  But this was.... it was like a 14-year-old boy wrote that trailer script.

it doesn't seem like it'll be BG&E.
Exactly the source of my disappointment.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2017, 12:31:52 PM »
Jesus Christ, how starved am I that the presence of a Metroid Prime 4 LOGO with absolutely no other information was my favorite part of Nintendo's showing.

Rest of the showing was great, too, of course. Not so sure about FE Warriors, they could have at least had a mildly different premise than DQ Heroes. Yoshi and Kirby games look expectedly adorable, and Mario Odyssey has made it clear that Nintendo is embracing the off-the-walls-crazy idea that is Mario in the real world. Xenoblade 2 looks great, but dear God does the VA for Aegis sound terrible. She sounds so bored and deflated.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2017, 12:40:08 PM »
Sorry Nintendo, Metroid Prime 4 was not enough to save E3. At least Mario Odyssey looks interesting and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has a release window. Fire Emblem Warriors didn't look that good though (although that could be burn out).

OH FUCKING SHIT!!! Edit: Welp, whether or not they won E3 or not, Nintendo went and dropped one onto the Internet itself by releasing their own Metroid 2 remake, and in 2.5D no less. This is gonna start a shitstorm. Fucking LOL.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 01:15:00 PM by Aeolus »
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2017, 01:14:14 PM »
No need for Prime 4 footage, here's footage of a remake of a gameboy game!

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2017, 01:17:57 PM »
They totally got me with that T-rex, I thought it was Turok for a second. That Mario Odyssey trailer was the highlight for me, the song was really good too. Though his new ability to possess things(including human beings) has some troubling implications.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2017, 02:46:40 PM »
Cautiously optimistic with Monster Hunter World and Metroid II remake.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2017, 03:55:43 PM »
I actually wasn't thrilled with the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 trailer...mostly because of the main cast. The VAs weren't great, but it was a trailer. Whatever, maybe they'll do better once they're more into their roles.

But good God, they don't even look like they share the same reality as everyone else! It's just so jarring how they have simplistic features and pastel colors when everything else seems to have some texture to it, and everyone else has...a nose, mouth, regularly proportioned faces except for maybe larger eyes (but still not 40% of their face big like our wide-eyed protag).

I'm also just...tired of the plot setup they gave us. I'm getting strong Dawn of the New World vibes, and I don't like it...

And why is it Xenoblade Chonicles 2? Was X poorly recieved or something? It seemed like a worthy sequel to me...

And like others said, Metroid Prime 4 was just a title drop...which is still better than the new Pokemon game. I mean, I'm happy for both, but now I'm going to spend goodness knows how long waiting for more info. I only have so much saliva in my body, damnit!

I have to say, I am quite impressed that the developers of Fire Emblem Warriors got away with inserting their company pep-talk into the trailer. I, too, hope they can "finish this." Perhaps then I'll get to see some gameplay.

At least Kirby & Yoshi can't screw up...*Sees Kirby Literally Wielding The Power of Love to Save the Day*

...okay, I was only half right...

But no, seriously, everything else they showed was pretty great. In fact, it seems like a decent turn out - pretty much everything I would've wanted was there, though I wish I could say I was ecstatic for all of them, but I guess final judgment has to be made when they're out regardless. Super Mario Odyssey completely blew away my expectations, so I think I can give Ninty the win based on that alone.

Metroid: Samus Returns also went beyond expectations, though my gut reaction is "this still has some Other M in it..." Hopefully I'll still be able to enjoy it, but counter attacks and slow-mo take downs are two things I never really expected or wanted to see in a Metroid game. Maybe it's because I'm used to the idea that your enemies are so powerful that even a mech-suited bounty hunter can struggle when fighting them. I always felt it added to the atmosphere to the game. I don't need to feel "empowered" just because she's in a power suit, simply put. Not in a Metroid game, at least. But I guess if I really don't like it, I still have that homebrew remake...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 04:26:33 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2017, 04:08:17 PM »
Xenoblade Chronicles X was one of the best video games I have ever played.

So of course it gets ignored.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2017, 04:10:05 PM »
nary a peep about Project Octopath Traveler...

The only Switch related news that interests me even a little is the BoW:DLC which everyone already knew about anyhow.   Radiant Historia Remake isn't coming to Switch and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looks like "Stock JRPG Alter Code Redux 17", 

What a turd.

edit: If projjy octy trav isn't a Switch exclusive I might end up just selling the damn thing.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 04:18:59 PM by Rucks »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "glad I don't have the bloops"