Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: E3 2017
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2017, 10:36:23 AM »
Can you clarify, @Klutz64 ??
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2017, 10:45:40 AM »
Every year, so many media outlets, including this one, give out "Best of E3" awards. Which, to begin with is like giving awards to whoever had the best sales pitch, but combine that with the fact that outlets give them out like candy, and they just seem like meaningless shite. And yet companies still use them to try and sell their games, particularly those handed out by larger outlets.

"Buy Destiny 2! IGN 'Best of E3' Winner!"
Yeah, you and 25 other games, dingus!

Lulcy

• Warrior of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2017, 05:48:17 PM »
From this year E3 I liked SONY's presentation the most, it was serviceable and had the most IPs I cared or was interested.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2017, 02:36:30 AM »
Sony and Nintendo both had lots of games I'm interested in. Nintendo announced all their big IPs, but the ones I really wanted to see (Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon Switch) had nothing beyond the announcement. Mario Odyssey looked fun at least.

Microsoft was a dud for me.

Bethesda needs to stop circlejerking Skyrim. Yeah it was a good game, but I'm ready for a new one.

Also MvC Infinity looks to be a massive disappointment for me. No Spidey, no X-men. As far as that trailer goes it really looks like the game is going to be MCU vs Megaman X. MVC3 had a way better roster.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2017, 12:46:42 PM »
As far as that trailer goes it really looks like the game is going to be MCU vs Megaman X.
And this doesn't make you tingle inside?

TASTY!

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2017, 01:06:01 PM »
What I'm most curious about is whether E3 will continue it's "open to the public" thing.  Word on the street is that this year's experiment to open E3's doors to the public was something of a fiasco, and all parties left frustrated.  I think the best compromise would be to have just one day be a "public day" and the remaining days be "professional(ish)" days so that media outlets and retailers can take care business, literally. 

And maybe I'm old fashioned, but why does everything have to be open door?  Why can't some things be left to the imagination, left for surprise/spontaneity?  Like, when I went to E3, I had no idea what I was in for, and I left invigorated by all the new discoveries.  I liked that it was kinda "closed door" before.  Even as a reader, that's what whetted my appetite for the new stuff.  This sentiment is also why I generally stay away from movie trailers- because they always contain spoilers and potentially ruin the best parts. 

As for games at this year's E3, I wonder if the medieval River City game is any good.  The original River City Ransom was one of my favorite NES games. 

"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2017, 02:18:22 PM »
Sony and Nintendo both had lots of games I'm interested in. Nintendo announced all their big IPs, but the ones I really wanted to see (Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon Switch) had nothing beyond the announcement. Mario Odyssey looked fun at least.

Microsoft was a dud for me.

Bethesda needs to stop circlejerking Skyrim. Yeah it was a good game, but I'm ready for a new one.

Also MvC Infinity looks to be a massive disappointment for me. No Spidey, no X-men. As far as that trailer goes it really looks like the game is going to be MCU vs Megaman X. MVC3 had a way better roster.

EA & Microsoft: Haven't seen them yet due to them breaking all the rules about E3 starting on a Monday.
Bethesda: I was aware of this, but also completely wrote it off due to even their listing looking completely dire.
PC: The Indie stuff was more interesting than most of the rest of it, but good luck waiting for any of it to drop some time within this decade.
Ubisoft: Got fucking owned by Nintendo thanks to Mario vs. Rabbids being their only interesting title and Miyamoto reminding everyone of the halcyon days when Ubi had actual personalities host their show (instead of whomever the fuck they have now).
Sony: Was entirely updates on stuff we saw from 2015 & 16 and VR crap.
Nintendo: Masterstroke'd the Internet with Samus Returns: Metroid XIII (all you AM2R nerds can wallow in it), and Mario's Brainjacking Oddjobyssey. The rest was smoke and mirrors.

And for the games I was looking out for:
I still cannot believe how completely uninteresting FE:Warriors looked.
Xenoblade 2 looked less creepy than it had previously, but the plot looks even more Tales of Knockoff (it's going to come down to how dumb the gameplay is, which is a problem given what backwards steps we've already seen, and what kind of environments we'll be able to bound around in (the biggest draw for XBC1 for me was the beautiful and massive areas that were largely open and had shit worth checking out)).
Return of Samus Returns: Spiderball still looks slow and tedious, but the Metroids looked to be a hell of a lot more fun to fight, and Warping will be a godsend (SR388 was not a friendly place for backtracking). Samus' design looks ugly as fuck though, and powerup creep looks like its gonna be balanced by Samus being made of tissue paper this time around.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2017, 07:47:51 AM »
As far as that trailer goes it really looks like the game is going to be MCU vs Megaman X.

Getting Megaman X was apparently a monkey paw wish if it means characters like Spiderman and Wolverine aren't going to be in the game.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2017, 10:12:25 PM »

Getting Megaman X was apparently a monkey paw wish if it means characters like Spiderman and Wolverine aren't going to be in the game.
I'm sure they'll be added before long. If there's 1 thing Capcom is notorious for it's adding characters to everything. They'll be back.

TASTY!

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2017, 05:27:23 AM »

I'm sure they'll be added before long. If there's 1 thing Capcom is notorious for it's adding characters to everything. They'll be back.
The reason why Marvel's line up is such garbage is because of convoluted  trademarks. Different film studios own partial rights to different characters.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2017, 06:31:52 AM »
^I feel like we could say that for certain with X-Men. Not so much with Spider-Man, though. I think Venom's already been confirmed as DLC, so Spider-Man better show up in the main line-up...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2017, 08:02:13 AM »
I think Spider-man's a reasonable lock since he does have a movie coming soon, probably DLC, which sucks but it's better than not having him I guess. If this game had the SF5 fight money system I'd get it day one, but that doesn't seem like its happening. Black panther will play like Wolverine I'm guessing
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2017, 08:12:48 AM »
I think Spider-man's a reasonable lock since he does have a movie coming soon, probably DLC, which sucks but it's better than not having him I guess.

Considering it'll probably mean he'll be available in next year's edition if they did do that, I'd say having him as DLC is indeed as bad as not having him at all, since it'll still lead to the same result: I won't buy it.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2017, 10:22:49 AM »
I think Spider-man's a reasonable lock since he does have a movie coming soon, probably DLC, which sucks but it's better than not having him I guess.

Considering it'll probably mean he'll be available in next year's edition if they did do that, I'd say having him as DLC is indeed as bad as not having him at all, since it'll still lead to the same result: I won't buy it.
Meh, you not buying won't really phase the massive amount of day 1 dumbasses who get it regardless. If SFV taught us anything, it's that capcom has a really blind audience. They ignore everything wrong with their games and scream their praises from coast to coast. I know I should't insult their fanbase, I fully intend to buy this simply because I'm an X fanboy through and through, but I'm also ok admitting I'm fucking retarded at times.

TASTY!

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2017, 12:01:48 PM »
Yeah, I guess I could've worded that one better. I just mean, like, if they aren't going to maintain the status quo, why should I buy it when UMVC3 is available on the same platforms? Granted I'm pretty sure Spider-Man will be in it, since he's been a staple since Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter. But, hypothetically speaking, if Spider-Man was DLC, then that goes beyond what we saw in Street Fighter V. SFV at least sold itself on the promise that all DLC characters would be unlockable free-of-charge via in-game currency, without having to buy any newer iterations. But what is MVC:Infinite even doing that's new? The infinity stones? We saw a very similar-looking system with Street Fighter X Tekken, which was arguably that game's achille's heel...otherwise, it's just more new characters and possibly a simplified moveset. So I can't help but feel like taking out one or more of the most popular staple characters in the game would negate some of that appeal. I mean, I could see Venom being DLC, but only because he's not a main hero, he hasn't been in as many games...and he's friggin' overpowered in the games he had been in, so he'd need a complete overhaul. But, no Spider-Man, and for that matter, Wolverine, and selling them separately as DLC would be nothing short of sleezy, at least by my measure.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:03:23 PM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes