Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Dragon Quest XI looks glorious
« Last post by Draak on Today at 11:32:39 AM »
People playing on PC, rejoice! The orchestra mod is here!

Already installed and it's excellent, a day and night difference.
« Last post by Frostillicus on Today at 09:02:54 AM »
meanwhile Persona is like watching Homer Simpson saunter into an early 90s Grunge Metal concert in full Reggae and it just comes off as sad sometimes.
I do not get that metaphor Homer Simpson metaphor at all :P

I do. Hard for me to believe that was a quarter of a century ago...

I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy this game (after a reasonable price drop, of course). I had a lot of fun with VIII, as much of a slog as it felt at times...
As weird as it may sound to say this about an RPG, I've personally never thought of DQ as a "deep" series. People expecting such should look elsewhere. It's just old school RPG fun.
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Frostillicus on Today at 08:38:08 AM »
Sorry @Rucks , but I do believe I mentioned that it bored me to death.  However, that was after giving it like.... 2 hours?  Maybe slightly less.

I still want to play it again now that my attention span has evened out in my old age.  But I'm not sure what the best way to do that is.

If you still have your Wii, I will send it to you when I'm done.  I bought it off @Frostillicus (he gave me a helluva deal, tbh) and I'm sure he'd want me to do the same.

Indeed. It's not easy to find for cheap, and I think all lovers of RPGs should give it a go.

EDIT:

Tales o' Braseria - Currently navigating Vortigern.
As far as the game itself goes: so far, so good. As I've said before, Velvet's badassness feels forced, but some of the decisions she makes definitely back up the 'tude. Combat is fun, and of course, that's the meatiest part of a Tales game.
I'm wondering why the hell the glowing Katz ball system is even a thing. They re-spawn everywhere in no time. I've already got 150-ish, and haven't found any chests that cost more than 35.

In the spirit of this time of year, I've started The Evil Within 2. It definitely borrows a thing or two from TLoU, but it's still spooky goodness. I remember the first game starting out "heavier", psychologically. However, I just started Chapter 3, (when this game opens up a bit), so I'm sure much will happen, still.
« Last post by Ranadiel on Today at 06:43:35 AM »
^ have you played any of the other DQ games? (I'm assuming you have since you play everything)
I have played DQ 1-3 and 5-8. I'd say overall I liked most of them (3 being an exception as it kept going and going after I started getting bored with it so I ended up quitting it). However the last time I played one was 8 around when it got released, so I it is entirely possible that my tastes have changed since I last played DQ8 since as you say, I play everything.

Comparing Dragon Quest to Persona is like comparing Coke Classic to New Coke. Dragon Quest stopped trying to be 'with it' ages ago (around the Zenthian trilogy to be precise) and has been, by and large, for the better for it, meanwhile Persona is like watching Homer Simpson saunter into an early 90s Grunge Metal concert in full Reggae and it just comes off as sad sometimes.

Hell, a great example is your complaints about Sylvando's archetype (from what I've seen, he's nowhere near as bad as the more common version of his archetype has been portrayed; I'd even say that chief mechanical officer from Guren Lagann is a more offensive example even though he was considered to be a breath of fresh air back when that show first came out), compared to Persona 4 having you beat the gay shame out of one of your party members and tomboy shame out of another one.
I do not get that metaphor Homer Simpson metaphor at all :P Anyways both of them are doing silent protagonist, and I was using Persona as an example of an instance where I though the silent protagonist worked. There really aren't that many games that still use silent protagonists these days, so I have to go with what is available. Although another comparison I thought of making is that the Luminary felt like the (male) Inquisitor from Dragon Age Inquisition to me as, despite having a voice, the Inquisitor was played extremely emotionless which made him have a lot of the same issues that I had with the Luminary despite having both a voice and player chosen dialogue (it was weird). However I am not sure how many people would get that comparison. XP

I'll agree that Sylvado is not the worst example of that trope that I have seen. He is depicted as being genuinely strong, but I still felt like the intent was a joke that I didn't find funny. It might have been "better delivered," but it still made me cringe a little.
« Last post by Der Jermeister on Yesterday at 09:37:09 PM »
Played some more Toukiden: Kiwami, but am still in Chapter 4, despite spending more time than usual with the game.

I recruited a lizard man in Romancing SaGa and actually finished a quest to get a monetary reward, and I'll probably keep him since I sparked a powerful ability that hits all enemies for a good amount, alongside Claudia's bow skill that hits all foes.
« Last post by Aeolus on Yesterday at 04:00:52 PM »
Quote from: Ranadiel[/quote
Wall 'o' Text

There's a lot to unpack in that post, and I'm not even out of Act 1 yet (because I keep getting distracted by that stupid XBow sidequest), so I'm going to focus my efforts on the below for now.

Luminary
We're finally getting to characters! And we start with the worst one. Yes I know DQ does silent protagonists. I don't hate silent protagonists as a concept. As examples, I think Adol and Joker are both silent protagonists done well. The Luminary however did not work for me. I feel the most necessary component for a silent protagonist to work is for there to be some sort of personality behind the character. It doesn't necessarily have to be deep or well developed but something needs to be there. Adol has a love of adventure deeper than the ocean. Joker has a distaste for justice. That's all you really need. The Luminary has none of that, and he is kind of stupid. Really he came off to me as just sort of a piece of cardboard cut into a human shape. (Spoilers including up to Act 3) *snip*

Comparing Dragon Quest to Persona is like comparing Coke Classic to New Coke. Dragon Quest stopped trying to be 'with it' ages ago (around the Zenthian trilogy to be precise) and has been, by and large, for the better for it, meanwhile Persona is like watching Homer Simpson saunter into an early 90s Grunge Metal concert in full Reggae and it just comes off as sad sometimes.

Hell, a great example is your complaints about Sylvando's archetype (from what I've seen, he's nowhere near as bad as the more common version of his archetype has been portrayed; I'd even say that chief mechanical officer from Guren Lagann is a more offensive example even though he was considered to be a breath of fresh air back when that show first came out), compared to Persona 4 having you beat the gay shame out of one of your party members and tomboy shame out of another one.

Graphics
They were fine? I don't really have a lot to say here. I'm just getting the non-spoiler stuff out of the way. I've seen better graphics in other games, but they were not close to being distractingly bad. My one complaint that could go under here (because I don't want to make a section just for it) is that the camera was on occasion bad. I had multiple instances where I would get into a random encounter and a tree branch would be blocking half the screen. I could move the camera, but the moment someone else got a turn, the camera would snap back to having half the screen blocked. Also the camera had issues with trees occasionally while exploring off the beaten path.

Music
I'm sure for some the music was nostalgic, but I was sick of it by the time I got to Gallopolis. The music did not do a good job of setting mood (e.g., a desert having the same music as a tundra) and I have heard all of these songs countless times before even picking this game up.

I wont argue with these. In fact, I'd say that Classic camera should've been the default since moving your people around in battle adds little to nothing.

As for the music, its by far the biggest failing of the game. Its like listening to Motoi Sakuraba's lazy efforts having been stuffed into the game Xenosaga 1 style. What few good pieces there are can only be found buried in one off cutscenes, while the majority of the game is dominated by one of the most inappropriate choices available. The biggest problem is the fact that the basic overworld music only really works when you're on horseback (and you're not on horseback long enough to have to suffer through even a fraction of the amount of time that you end up with) and that there's barely any goddamn remixes to begin with, which would've solved about 65% of the music issues single-handed (its bad when your one World Map remix is the goddamn town theme and its variations).

I'll come back later once I've seen for myself how badly they ended up dropping the ball on Jade (why am I not surprised).
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on Yesterday at 12:30:51 PM »
Time for this.

https://www.livechart.me/fall-2018/tv
http://anichart.net/fall-2018

This time I came prepared! I watched all of the trailers that were available last week, so now instead of basing my enthusiasm on a rough guess by skimming descriptions, pictures, and a couple trailers, I'm basing it on a rough recollection on whatever I meant to post last week, but was afraid I was jumping the gun...

Anywho:

MHA S3 has ended, so I don't even have to worry about continuing series except for OP and DBS.

The return of Fairy Tail and Jojo's Bizzare Adventures are obviously the biggest draw this season that should fill MHA's gap quite nicely, but I'm still multiple arcs behind on both of these series, and I'm kind of shounen'd out this year.

A Certain Magical Index III - Wait, they're brining this back? Why? I mean, I enjoyed it when I first watched S1 and 2, but...it helped that I hadn't burnt out on LN-based series yet. I remember fuck-all about its plot and any character that wasn't in A Certain Scientific Railgun. I suppose if this eventually leads to more of that one, then I guess I can't complain, but I'm still sit this one out.

SSSS.GRIDMAN - Oh hey! I actually remember seeing an episode or two of Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad back in the day! I remember really enjoying it, and I wished I could've seen more. This looks like an intentional blast to the past, and it's got Studio Trigger at the helm! Should be a fun time!

RErideD - Derrida, who leaps through time - This could go either way, but the trailers caught my interest, at least. It looks and sounds very Terminator-ish, except going forward in time instead of back. Hopefully it'll be a fun romp, but I'm really not expecting anything more out of it than that.

DOUBLE DECKER! Doug & Kirill - Oh my God! I love the sense of style this one has had in the trailers! The CGI was pretty heavy and did not mix well with the 2D, especially for a Sunrise series, but this whole set up feels like something Chunsoft would make, anyways, yet it's an original series. I like this Steampunk 1930-ish Magic noir high-octtane action....niche? I guess? It wants to be a slightly more serious Blood Blockade Battlefront, and I am okay with that. =P

Radiant - Another stylish action series that has my attention, this time an adaptation of a french comic. Hopefully it'll be enjoyable, but the premise does sound incredibly cliche - the sort of pitch you'd expect your anime-loving friend back in high school to pull out when he wants to tell you about this amazing TV show he's cooking up that's totally gonna make someday.

...except here it is, on Japanese television, and I totally want to watch it. Gotta give props to the French manga creator that did what plenty before him had tried and failed in the West, and many more gave up on way before they even put a pencil to paper. It's got a distinct enough look, and cliche can be enjoyable if done right. I think this might be a worth a shot.
« Last post by Rucks on Yesterday at 11:04:03 AM »
^ have you played any of the other DQ games? (I'm assuming you have since you play everything)
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Annubis on Yesterday at 11:01:23 AM »
Time for this.

https://www.livechart.me/fall-2018/tv
http://anichart.net/fall-2018

There's a ton of school life stuff and I can't be bothered to write about all the 'meh' ones.

Anime:

Sword Art Online: Alicization
SAO with Kirito... so bad. That Kirito-less season is still the best and they don't want to admit it.

Goblin Slayer
A hardcore gritty and rapey serie about goblins and a guy whose life goal is to kill as many of them as possible for revenge.
Actually pretty good, but not lighthearted in any way.
Think of it as a really dark Grimgar.

Fairy Tail (2018)
For anyone that hasn't actually dropped Fairy Tail yet.

Toaru Majutsu no Index III
Now this is a pleasant surprise. Not much information yet as to what it will cover, but it's 26 episodes so it should be a good amount.
Based on where the last anime ended, there's a lot of juicy possible plot that could be covered.

Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken
ISEKAI ISEKAI ISEKAI
This one ranks pretty high on the isekai chart so it's among the best you'll find.
It gets pretty stupid around volume 7-8 in the novel, but the beginning, which this will cover, is golden so I'm fully recommending it.

Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl-senpai no Yume wo Minai
A girl with the weird ability to not be noticed wears a bunny uniform (the sexy kind) because why not.
The main character sees through it and they start analyzing the "teenage syndrome" which she suffers from to try and cure her.
Eventually gets more girls with different "syndromes".
It's pretty cheesy for a supernatural/love/school life. if you're looking for that go ahead.

Conception
Based on the RPG of the same name.
Ugh...

RErideD: Tokigoe no Derrida
Technically partly already out so you can try it now if you want.

Tonari no Kyuuketsuki-san
A modern human girl befriends a vampire girl.
Cute girls doing cute things.

Gakuen Basara
Yes, the BASARA means BASARA.
As in Sengoku BASARA. This is all these characters in high school.
I'll probably watch if only to see Yukimura scream.

Gyakuten Saiban: something
Remember how big of a disaster it was the last time they tried to animate Gyakuten Saiban?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Hora, Mimi ga Mieteru yo!
Based on a Chinese cartoon that feels like it's based on the dreams that guy has in Horimiya where he lives with cat boys.

Movies:

DRAGON BALL SUPER: BROLY
Awwwww yeah.
I'm not even a Broly fan, but I do want more DBS.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Detonation
Nanoha hasn't had a good name for many long years now.
I can't really get my hopes up... but hey... maybe this will be the one?
You know, like every Star Ocean since 3.

OVA

An extra episode of Stein's Gate 0 and a Re:Zero OVA.
« Last post by Rucks on Yesterday at 10:59:03 AM »
the weakness system isn't as important as in a lot of other games.  I'm 80% of the way through the game and I think it's only been a real issue once.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10