Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #20055 on: November 19, 2017, 01:07:03 PM »
How much time does it take to teach a normal student "don't spend more than you earn", and "don't borrow what you can't pay off?"  A couple days?  A week?  I don't understand how you can make up a whole course out of that.  Once you've covered the future value of money, aren't you basically done?

there are often systemic and cultural issues at play here that would necessitate a much longer training period for a lot people.  Someone who has never had any money (that wasn't already owed to someone else or needed for basic survival) is usually going to need a lot of help understanding finance.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20056 on: November 19, 2017, 01:23:28 PM »
Do schools in the US still have classes like home economics? Personal finances would probably fit in best with that, I think.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #20057 on: November 19, 2017, 01:27:16 PM »
Haps: Feeling like a bit of a doofus. I'd been on the same internet package for years, and had ignored Comcast's attempts to upsell me over that time. Came to find out yesterday that the package I was on isn't even offered these days, and I could get speeds over twice as fast for the same monthly rate. I'd been over-paying for who knows how long. Upgrading was a no-brainer. Explains why they had been trying to call me so frequently over the summer.. Can't help but laugh at myself.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20058 on: November 20, 2017, 10:22:08 AM »
I had never had a credit card before I got married, but when my wife went to apply for one for me and checked my credit, it was well over 700 because I had never missed a car or student loan payment.  So not having a credit card doesn't necessarily tank your credit all by itself.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20059 on: November 22, 2017, 04:21:32 PM »
The owner of the bow I'm currently using has second thoughts about selling it. He says it's because the bow was made for him specifically and thus not a perfect fit for me (a woman a head shorter than him), and that's certainly true. I won't be able to get as much power out of it as he can. However, it's more than good enough for my meager ambitions. They often forget, but I am at that age where there's just not much time left for serious competition. Plus, I have no interest in that anyway. I enjoy archery and I enjoy using this bow.

And let's be honest, it'd be hard to find a perfect fit within my budget. And I don't care about a perfect fit anyway. I'm used to hand-me-downs and things that are held together with ducttape. I'm used to working around that. If something fits just right, it just feels wrong. Like I'm not supposed to have it.

The true reason he's having second thoughts is a sentimental one. This was his first serious bow. He entered competitions with this, made great steps forward. And at the same time he also hates this bow, because he's a competitive perfectionist who wasn't able to achieve his goals. This is the bow that caused so much frustration, he switched to compound. He loves it and doesn't want to part with it, and he hates it and is affraid I'll be consumed by the same frustration he was.

I get that though. Letting go of things can be hard.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20060 on: November 22, 2017, 04:54:04 PM »
No idea why @Tomara 's post made me want to give her a reassuring hug.  Maybe going through a bunch of old college emails this week has made me sentimental.

MORE sentimental than normal, that is.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20061 on: November 24, 2017, 05:41:00 PM »
So I got in a car crash last week on my way to work.  I'm fine, but my car is totaled, and now I'm in the overwhelmingly shitty process of buying another one.  I'm glad I had insurance, but all said and done I'll still be out a few thousand dollars at the end of this.  Of course this had to happen to the first car I ever purchased new, one that I've taken excellent care of.  The two beaters I drove previously never got a scratch on them.

I wish I could just teleport.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20062 on: November 26, 2017, 01:00:58 PM »
So I got in a car crash last week on my way to work.  I'm fine, but my car is totaled, and now I'm in the overwhelmingly shitty process of buying another one.  I'm glad I had insurance, but all said and done I'll still be out a few thousand dollars at the end of this.  Of course this had to happen to the first car I ever purchased new, one that I've taken excellent care of.  The two beaters I drove previously never got a scratch on them.

I wish I could just teleport.
Glad to hear you're ok physically at the very least.

TASTY!

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #20063 on: November 27, 2017, 04:13:11 AM »
Did anyone go shopping on Black Friday?
I bough my Switch early for no reason. Plenty of Xbox's, ps4, and Switch's as far as the eye could see at every store I went to. Next year I'm just going to order all of my games and movies online. it was kind of a waste. Unfortunately Walmart is the only one you probably would want to go to in person for some of their deals.

Bestbuy had the Xenoblade Switch controller on the floor but it wouldn't ring up at the register. Darn their up to date system. Also they had Disgaea 5 for $20 but since NIS America only makes 30 copies of each game a decade it was the only game on Bestbuy website that was sold out; in store as well.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 04:20:05 AM by Electricb7 »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20064 on: November 30, 2017, 05:19:42 PM »
I've had the flu since last Thursday, which is why I have not been on this site.  That didn't stop me from sneaking off to Gamestop on Black Friday to pick up 3 games.  Super Mario 3D World, World of Final Fantasy, and Trails of Cold Steel.  It went smoothly except for a huge debacle with CS, which you can read all about over in the #single-player-rpgs channel on the RPGFan Discord.

Still coughing and full of mucus, but my energy is back at least.  Can't wait until I feel good enough to drink coffee again.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20065 on: November 30, 2017, 05:25:18 PM »
It went smoothly except for a huge debacle with CS, which you can read all about over in the #single-player-rpgs channel on the RPGFan Discord.

That sounds fascinating. Tell me more of this....DEES-KORD?

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #20066 on: December 03, 2017, 03:49:02 PM »
There is a squirrel in my attic. I've named it Hammy, after the character from Over the Hedge. I think Hammy's stuck, because it sounds like all he has been doing the past 2 days is run back and forth from one window to the other. I dare not try and go up there myself. Those things are fast and unpredictable, and he'd also have the advantage of a higher position. I figure since I've only got 6 months left on the lease, I'll leave him be, as long as he doesn't try to gnaw into the living area of the house.
 If Hammy is indeed stuck and starves to death,.... Well, I'll deal with it if it happens. Here's hoping that's not the case.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #20067 on: December 03, 2017, 03:57:50 PM »
I have squirrels in my attic, too, but they're metaphorical.  Sometimes they tell me to do things.  Like buy chocolate covered almonds.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20068 on: December 03, 2017, 09:44:17 PM »
ok. now I'm seeing the giant fonts too. 

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20069 on: December 04, 2017, 01:49:12 AM »
I thought I accidently hit a wrong button somewhere, but also thought that didn't make sense because it only affects RPGfan. Good to know I'm not the only one now reading giant letters.