Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #4770 on: April 24, 2018, 10:10:31 AM »
Cowboy Bebop?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

DHKany

• RPGFan Editor
  • Dank Souls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: April 24, 2018, 10:27:44 AM »
haven't watched so i can't comment.
"All those moments will be lost in time... like tears.. in rain" -Roy Batty

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: April 24, 2018, 10:48:13 AM »
You haven't.... watched.... Cowboy Bebop...??  O_______O
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: April 24, 2018, 10:51:07 AM »

pretty sure he's only c. 20 years old.  so there is a very real possibility Cowboy Bebop came out before he was born.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: April 24, 2018, 11:12:16 AM »

pretty sure he's only c. 20 years old.  so there is a very real possibility Cowboy Bebop came out before he was born.

You just ruined my entire day, Rucksy.

DHKany

• RPGFan Editor
  • Dank Souls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: April 24, 2018, 12:13:13 PM »
Yep I havenít gotten around to bebop yet.

Also not sure how my age relates to this at all, but ok.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 12:14:45 PM by DHKany »
"All those moments will be lost in time... like tears.. in rain" -Roy Batty

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: April 24, 2018, 01:27:04 PM »

Most people who are in their 30's now didn't get around to seeing things like future boy conan or lupin the 3rd until much later.  We tend to check out contemporary things first before going back for the classics. So I assumed it'd be the same with people younger.  But mostly, holy shit Cowboy Bebop is 21 years old.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:38:24 PM by Rucks »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: April 24, 2018, 06:47:25 PM »

Most people who are in their 30's now didn't get around to seeing things like future boy conan or lupin the 3rd until much later.  We tend to check out contemporary things first before going back for the classics. So I assumed it'd be the same with people younger.  But mostly, holy shit Cowboy Bebop is 21 years old.

You do realize that there are other reasons to not know about something other than Age, like not having access to Cable, not being aware that Cartoon Network showed anything other than Teen Titans GO!, not living in the USA, not being an Anime aficionado until recently, growing up in a heavily religious household, etc.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: April 25, 2018, 08:25:41 AM »
growing up in a heavily religious household, etc.

That household needs more Jesus then.

There ya go!

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: April 30, 2018, 10:49:28 PM »
New season notes below.  TL,DR:  I recommend Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Hinamatsuri, and Megalobox.  I'm not including any comments on continuing series.  This post is long enough as it is.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These (3 episodes, continuing):  The older incarnation of this is one of my favorite series, so I was bound to have strong feelings about this remake.  Although I won't call it an unqualified improvement (I liked the old character designs better), it's good in most of the ways that count.

Megalobox (4 episodes, continuing):  The artwork looks like it's from a late-90s sci-fi anime movie, and the writing wouldn't be out of place in a noir-era film.

Hinamatsuri (3 episodes, continuing):  A biological superweapon moves in with a yakuza boss; hilarity ensues.  If you liked Alice and Zoroku, you might like this.

PERSONA5 the Animation (4-episode meh):  If you haven't played the game, I expect you would find the pacing of this terrible; without any gameplay to break up the scenes, it feels really rushed.  If you've already played the game...this doesn't provide much of a change in perspective.

Golden Kamuy (3-episodes, continuing):  The insight into Ainu culture is interesting, but it feels a bit too didactic in tone, and the character development is a bit lacking.

Steins; Gate 0 (3-episodes, continuing):  There's potential here, but it's starting a bit slow.

Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online (1-episode drop):  An MC wearing bright pink combat gear was silly enough, but when I saw the "professionals" advancing down the middle of the street, completely out of cover, I knew this was going to be too stupid to bother with.

Umamusume: Pretty Derby (5-episode drop):  Horse-girls (as in, with ears and tails) race each other in this decidedly odd series.  I assumed this would be a complete disaster, but since P.A. Works is involved, it's actually not that bad.  Unfortunately, there's no plot to speak of.

MAJOR 2nd (4-episodes, continuing):  Not bad for a baseball anime.

Kakuriyo -Bed & Breakfast for Spirits- (2-episodes, continuing):  I've seen this pattern before.  I expect them to run out of material by episode four.

Space Battleship Tiramisu (1-episode drop):  Was this supposed to be funny?  I didn't find this funny.

Fist of the Blue Sky: Regenesis (1-episode drop):  I'm not really a fan of the Fist of the North Star, and nothing here gave me reason to reconsider.  Decent animation, I guess.

Comic Girls (1-episode drop):  Yet another slice-of-life with recycled characters.

Love To-LIE-Angle (1-episode drop):  Three minutes of pointless fanservice in a three-and-a-half minute episode.

Dances with the Dragons (1-episode drop):  I really don't care whether your magic is based on quantum physics, or unicorn feathers.  If your world and your characters are boring, it doesn't matter how clever your exposition is.

Gurazeni: Money Pitch (1-episode drop):  A slightly bland slice-of-life about professional baseball.

GeGeGe no Kitaro (2-episode drop):  I'm okay with Japanese supernatural fare, and although the production quality is decent, nothing here really caught my attention.

You Don't Know Gunma Yet (1-episode drop):  Doesn't seem like a great tourist destination.

Libra of Nil Admirari (12-minute drop):  Anime based on otome games are almost invariably garbage.

Caligula (1.5 episode drop):  It isn't immediately obvious if this is high art, or pretentious, incoherent crap.  I'm assuming the latter.

Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori (14-minute drop):  Host cafe series, possibly with reverse harem elements.  I'm not the target audience for this.

Last Period (6-minute drop):  Fantasy anime doesn't get much more generic than this.

Isekai Izakaya Nobu (4-minute drop): I really don't think we need two series about a Japanese restaurant that connects to another world.

Butler X Battlers (8-minute drop):  After eight minutes, I didn't know the premise of the series, hadn't been given any significant plot points, and had no interest in any of the characters.

My Sweet Tyrant (3-episode drop):  The episodes are 3.5 minutes, and they used up most of their ideas in the first one.  Also, the idea of a male tsundere is somewhat creepy.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: May 04, 2018, 07:57:05 PM »
Hinamatsuri
5 episodes in and god damn... Hitomi... you're killing me.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: May 04, 2018, 11:14:35 PM »
Hinamatsuri
5 episodes in and god damn... Hitomi... you're killing me.

My only quibble with the show is that Hina is boring. Thankfully she's been left out a lot of the show. Other than that its the best anime of the year so far.

Der Jermeister

• Taking a Breath of the Wild
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: May 14, 2018, 04:36:59 PM »
I'm watching Rurouni Kenshin on Netflix. Definitely digging it, love the political / historical aspects and occasional humor that shows it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: May 26, 2018, 08:33:21 PM »
Batman Ninja was way more gloriously ridiculous than I could have possibly imagined.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: June 02, 2018, 12:20:19 AM »
My thoughts while watching the first season of The Seven Deadly Sins:

"This show is great. Although, I don't like how they keep banging on about how strong the princess is when she just puts herself in unnecessary danger and gets in the way. Oh, and that pig mascot is really annoying and adds nothing to the story."

*Episode 23 happens*

"This show is great."

EDIT:

*Episode 24 happens*

"This show is garbage."

Spoiler: show
I'm only half kidding.

Batman Ninja was way more gloriously ridiculous than I could have possibly imagined.

It really was. I've seen a lot of negative/Mixed feedback for it thrown around, but it seemed to deliver everything I personally wanted/expected out of the concept and then some.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 12:35:03 AM by Mickeymac92 »

ďMY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!Ē
I Draw Stuff Sometimes