Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Ranadiel

• View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #20025 on: November 04, 2017, 10:51:41 PM »
Nope, despite throwing all sorts of subgenres and tropes together without regard for the overall style and atmosphere, my brain does understand how horror works. That was evil incarnate and we were all going to die.
Wouldn't the horror tropes mean that that was the end of the movie, so all of you continue to live and the evil goes and hunts a new group of people (until you all make cameos in movie 3 where you are then killed)?

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20026 on: November 08, 2017, 02:59:43 PM »
What is it about being on the phone that makes people completely forget about how loud they are being in relation to their surrounding?  Or maybe it has nothing to do with their surrounding and they are just always shouting into the phone?? 

Do you guys all shout into your phone every time you get a call?

Very perplexing.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20027 on: November 08, 2017, 05:14:07 PM »
Wouldn't the horror tropes mean that that was the end of the movie, so all of you continue to live and the evil goes and hunts a new group of people (until you all make cameos in movie 3 where you are then killed)?

I like to think my brain isn't the type of director that'd milk IPs until the audience is begging them to put it out of its misery. It may do a sort of reboot eventually, though, because I sure am looking forward to waking up at 4 AM again and being too freaked out to go back to sleep.

Next one will probably be zombies again, but those zombies will be slightly different from the usual ones. Or maybe the setting will be original, like the Netherlands of the Golden Age or maybe Sovjet Russia. The one I had about the mainland being taken over by zombies and the survivors all  living on ships, islands and floating villages in the middle of lakes was pretty cool. Aside from waking up in the middle of the night and getting through the day on four hours of sleep part I mean.

What is it about being on the phone that makes people completely forget about how loud they are being in relation to their surrounding?  Or maybe it has nothing to do with their surrounding and they are just always shouting into the phone?? 

Very perplexing.

Only good reason I can think of is that the connection is shit, but if that's the case, why not find another spot (like, outside) or end to call and switch to messages? Some people are just naturally loud, though.

Anyway, my haps: helping out at the guild. We have this friendly competition thing for the non-archers from the surrounding area, and I'm one of the people who helps out at the 'line'. Basically an instructor. For some reason, the most frequently asked question was: "Do you shoot too?"

No, I wear this shirt with our logo for funsies and this is all an act. Those pointers I gave you that helped you nearly double your score? Yeah, that was just me bullshitting.

Okay, I'm certain some people just don't know how to start a conversation about/show interest in someone's hobby, but something like "Do you use this kind of bow too?" should be an attainable level of social competence for just about anyone.

Oh well, atleast there was no "Do you have school tomorrow?" or uncertain looks at my alcoholic drink. This is progress.

(But it was still a lot of fun! Just really, really busy. But that's good. Events like this make up a significant part of our income.)

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20028 on: November 08, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »

Very perplexing.

I think with airplanes being as crowded as they are (lots of people noise), the noise of the engines and wind turbulence, and our ears popping so our hearing isn't as clear as it is on the ground, people feel the need to shout over each other. 

I feel like air travel is a necessary evil.  Yeah, I need to fly in a plane to, say, visit my cousin in Colorado, but airports and air travel are the absolute pits. 
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #20029 on: November 15, 2017, 08:57:16 PM »
Spent the last 2 days (and last several weekends getting ready to) moving my mother from her house into a 'old people who will die soon-ish' place.
I'm dead in every possible way.

The last couple of weeks, there was tons of shit to do for her.
Good news is that most of it is done and I should have somewhat of a break.
Although I'm the one who has to change all her addresses everywhere which I foresee being a problem with places because of their security measures.
Government sounds like it will be a major pain in the ass in this case (usually it's stupidly easy though)

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20030 on: November 16, 2017, 08:40:26 AM »
I'm so sorry Annubis T_T This sucks hard.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20031 on: November 16, 2017, 09:21:08 AM »
*hugs @Annubis *
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #20032 on: November 17, 2017, 08:39:45 PM »
So we thought the move would help a bit, make things simpler but I've just been informed that in the last 2 days, my mother doesn't eat unless someone tells her to... same for taking her pills. She's doesn't do much of anything by herself.
She's being brought to the hospital tomorrow for an evaluation to see if she is still deemed independent. No idea how many days until they have results.

---

A friend of mine lost her mother suddenly from a heart attack and said it's the worst way to lose family because she couldn't say goodbye...
I've thought about that quite a bit and while I won't said this to her (I've got some tact) my opinion at this point is that it's probably the best way because the last time I saw my mother was 7 months ago. Since then, it's been something else and slowly it's just becoming an empty husk. Watching that decay day after day is hard and part of me just wants it to end already.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20033 on: November 17, 2017, 09:28:03 PM »
^ my wife's mom is in an assisted living facility.  So I can at least commiserate a little on watching someone slowly fall apart.  You have all of my empathy Annubis.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #20034 on: November 17, 2017, 09:35:57 PM »
Trying to build better credit -_-
This shit should be explained or taught in high school. Its too serious to find out about as an adult. Fucking America.

I'm trying to get a used car and the APR is nuts because I avoided credit cards all my life which means I basically have no credit history. Thanks Life.

So we thought the move would help a bit, make things simpler but I've just been informed that in the last 2 days, my mother doesn't eat unless someone tells her to... same for taking her pills. She's doesn't do much of anything by herself.
She's being brought to the hospital tomorrow for an evaluation to see if she is still deemed independent. No idea how many days until they have results.

---

A friend of mine lost her mother suddenly from a heart attack and said it's the worst way to lose family because she couldn't say goodbye...
I've thought about that quite a bit and while I won't said this to her (I've got some tact) my opinion at this point is that it's probably the best way because the last time I saw my mother was 7 months ago. Since then, it's been something else and slowly it's just becoming an empty husk. Watching that decay day after day is hard and part of me just wants it to end already.

I remember when my Grandma had to go into Hospice. Seeing her kind of slip further away was awful.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20035 on: November 17, 2017, 09:41:40 PM »
Yeah, you ain't alone @Annubis .  For years I watched my dad deteriorate before my eyes until he finally passed two years ago.  I think about him now more than ever. 

I know when you're going through stuff like that you feel like you're facing the burden alone, that no one understands... well, everyone experiences things differently, but many of us have been down similar roads. 

@Electricb7 The kicker is that "Business and Consumer Math" and other living-skills type math classes are reserved for students with some sort of special needs IEP or something.  I think a Business and Consumer Math class should be mandatory over more theoretical math courses.  Pythagorean Theorems don't do you much good when you're trying to navigate getting a mortgage for your first home or something. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 09:43:24 PM by Dincrest »
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #20036 on: November 17, 2017, 11:06:02 PM »

@Electricb7 The kicker is that "Business and Consumer Math" and other living-skills type math classes are reserved for students with some sort of special needs IEP or something.  I think a Business and Consumer Math class should be mandatory over more theoretical math courses.  Pythagorean Theorems don't do you much good when you're trying to navigate getting a mortgage for your first home or something.

Exactly.
Ive always preached that code/programming, engineering, credit and finances should be mandatory classes in schools. Tech me how to do any of these things over History, or some unorthodox math class and you will most likely have increased my chances off success.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #20037 on: November 17, 2017, 11:32:50 PM »
@Electricb7 Do you have a monthly payment of any sort? (cellphone, Netflix/cable, etc.)
You can have those charged on a credit card, pay it every month and it will help set up your profile as positive credit.

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #20038 on: November 18, 2017, 12:18:50 AM »
@Electricb7 Do you have a monthly payment of any sort? (cellphone, Netflix/cable, etc.)
You can have those charged on a credit card, pay it every month and it will help set up your profile as positive credit.
I just applied for a secured card yesterday. I plan on paying small bills with it.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20039 on: November 18, 2017, 02:51:13 AM »

I've had both happen (though nothing as close as a parent or sibling), and I also think the slow version is worse. If it's happens suddenly, you take a big hit and there's this rush to arrange everything and then the funeral is over and you can take your time to process everything.

The slow version chips away at everyone for months if not years, and it's still going to hurt. Perhaps even more so, because there's not much normalcy left to fall back on. And you'll feel guilt because there's this feeling of relief it's over.

Sorry... that wasn't exactly uplifting... Just wanted to say I sort of understand what you're going through and that it's okay to feel what you're feeling.