Author Topic: Top 10 Story-Driven RPGs

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Top 10 Story-Driven RPGs
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 05:41:15 PM »
Xenogears is one of those games where I found the story itself epic beyond the pale, but found the storytelling somewhat dry and poorly paced. 
"Yes, there's lots of things to do if you're not so busy huffing and puffing."
     -Leonard the Wolf (Sesame Street)

"People are really really good at making themselves unhappy in their pursuit of happiness." -Arvis

Grainofariver

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 12:34:07 AM »
At a friend's house today I ended up trying out Mass Effect: Andromeda to see if it was really so bad as its reputation. Right away the game annoyed me by having a voice-over exposition dump.  "Oh my god," I moaned, "I don't care, can we just get to the characters already?". On reflection, I'm finding that the longer the gap between starting the game and meeting the characters, the more annoyed I get. World-building is all well-and-good, but generally it's in service to the characters. At least for me, I always experience a world relative to them -- they are the ones granting context to everything I learn about the world. Without them, it's all just facts and information. I don't care about the world-building for its own sake, I care about how it relates and affects the characters that I'm invested in.

To take Xenoblade 2 (as a positive example!), you hit new game, and then bam, you've got Rex. He's salvaging stuff. There's some banter between him and Gramps, a quick tutorial fight, and THEN you get the exposition speech. Thing is, now not only am I learning about the world at large, but in doing so I'm learning a lot about Rex as well. Rex becomes the centre-point -- i.e. the context -- for my understanding, because he's the one I'm invested in.

I'm certainly not going to turn-off or avoid a game over this, but the quicker you can get a character (preferably the player character) on screen, the stronger an initial impression you make.
I like crackers... but only the good kind.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2018, 09:00:30 AM »
favorite stories

1. Xenogears
2. Xenosaga episode 1
3-4. Trails of Cold Steel 1-2
5. Persona 4
6. Persona 5
7 Valkryia Chronicles
8. FF10
9. FF6
10. Suikoden 3

As much as I dislike Xenogears' story, you've got ridiculously good taste.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 09:07:39 PM »
Xenogears is one of those games where I found the story itself epic beyond the pale, but found the storytelling somewhat dry and poorly paced.

Xenogears definitely has serious flaws. There is some clunky storytelling and its not a complete game. I just found the characters amazing. Never before there was a rouges gallery of antagonists with different motivations like there was in XG. It also had Miang, the greatest character in any RPG.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2018, 11:38:04 PM »
I just found the characters amazing.

Except for all the lame ones...
Anyone remember Rico?

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2018, 07:12:07 PM »
A whole lot of olf JRPGs being listed. My list is probably a bit different

In no particular order (because I'm terrible at ranking stuff I love):

Nier Automata
Witcher 3
DA: O
Mass Effect 2
Deus EX (the original)
Baldur's Gate 2
Knights of the old republic
Tyranny (not enough people know about this little gem)
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (another classic more people should play)
Final Fantasy XIII (No seriously, I love this game and its characters lol So what if its super linear? I had a ton of fun playing this game)

I'm sure that last one will cause big disagreements. lol
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 07:51:48 PM by bigdeath »

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 06:06:21 PM »

I've heard amazing things about Bloodlines.  I never got to play it because my PC at the time was too pitiful to run it, and by the time I could run it, Troika went under and the game was still really buggy and without patches. 

On another note, I'm surprised that I'm still the only person in this thread who mentioned Planescape: Torment.  I know I'm not the only one who played it. 

"People are really really good at making themselves unhappy in their pursuit of happiness." -Arvis

kkhohoho

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 07:34:06 PM »

On another note, I'm surprised that I'm still the only person in this thread who mentioned Planescape: Torment.  I know I'm not the only one who played it.

Played it! And it's awesome.

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 01:32:19 PM »

I think thats a sign your old. :P But I'm an old fart as well so I remember the game. However, I didn't mention it because I think its dated. And I don't find it as fun to play as newer games.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 02:22:06 PM »
True, but this thread was about story and there is no denying that Planescape's story is one of the best video game stories out there, dated gameplay be damned. 

In much the same way, we could say that modern literature is more effortless to read than, say, Gone with the Wind (which was written in the 1930s) but that doesn't stop Gone with the Wind from being one of the most epic stories ever told.  Sure, classics like that are "one and done" books that we wouldn't voraciously re-read, but the one time spent reading it has that profound effect on us. 

There are plenty of video games that are one-and-dones for me.  I do not see myself replaying Planescape or Xenogears now in 2018.  Not with so many newer games out there, particularly those with better "quality of life" gameplay and interface elements.  But I'm glad for the experiences I had with those aforementioned games, because their tales had that effect on me and are still stuck in my consciousness.

mooserocka

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 08:51:36 PM »
i edited lower
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 11:39:58 PM by mooserocka »

mooserocka

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2018, 08:54:33 PM »
True, but this thread was about story and there is no denying that Planescape's story is one of the best video game stories out there, dated gameplay be damned. 

In much the same way, we could say that modern literature is more effortless to read than, say, Gone with the Wind (which was written in the 1930s) but that doesn't stop Gone with the Wind from being one of the most epic stories ever told.  Sure, classics like that are "one and done" books that we wouldn't voraciously re-read, but the one time spent reading it has that profound effect on us. 

There are plenty of video games that are one-and-dones for me.  I do not see myself replaying Planescape or Xenogears now in 2018.  Not with so many newer games out there, particularly those with better "quality of life" gameplay and interface elements.  But I'm glad for the experiences I had with those aforementioned games, because their tales had that effect on me and are still stuck in my consciousness.
I agree i do not replay ANY rpgs unless its like 10 years later and i forget it all, or replay value of new game plus which i usually play that 10 years later when i forget it all : D

mooserocka

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2018, 11:38:33 PM »
OK as JUST in story alone. WOW this will be so tough.
1. suikoden 2
2. final fantasy 6
3. Star Ocean 2
4. Persona 3
5. skies of arcadia
6. Grandia 1-2 are tied
7  Persona 4
8. vandal hearts 2
9. Breath of fire 2
10. The last is too hard. There is so many games deserving. In just story alone  xenogears might have to make the list but it could be tied with chrono trigger, dragon quest  persona 5, suikoden 3,5 
earthbound, ugg i guess they are honerable mentions. 

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 11:00:33 PM »
I have a tough time narrowing stuff down to ten as i like the old 1 per series rule. I'm a bit more comfortable narrowing it down to five. I'll narrow them down with spoiler free justifications.

-Dragon Quest V Hand of the Heavenly Bride: You watch your silent hero from childhood into adulthood as he gets married, recruits monsters and even teams up with his own children to fight evil. Now that's cool.
-Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War: Best use of multiple generations in the series. The big twist at the halfway point shocked me big time. Holy blood was an interesting blend of story meets gameplay.
-Chronno Trigger: The quintessential time travel rpg.
-Final Fantasy VI: Love the cast and Kefka is definitely one of my favourite all time villains.
-Mario and Luigi series: Moving away from darker rpgs I really love the silly and humorous nature of these games.