Author Topic: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
« Reply #555 on: October 30, 2015, 02:53:02 AM »
Dice, if you think that's hard I just spend the last 2 hours trying to get it to work under Linux through wine and got absolutely nowhere.

OK, I realize that's not exactly a supported method, but I read several claims about FC running "flawlessly" under wine with very little effort.  So I figured if FC worked so well, why not SC...nope, can't even get through the installation.

Dude. You realize that it took months just to get the game running with whatever twine, glue and duct tape XSeeD used to get it up on the systems it was built for? Hell, they've just starting to get the flow of trip reports on all the bugs and crashes the QA team missed in. Give it a month or two.

Also I love how the big advancement of Orbment Technology between games is a seventh slot (admittedly, a powerful, versatile and prolific tool's performance being increased by 13 & 1/3% is actually a pretty substantial improvement). At least now Estelle can run two different, yet equal, Quartz combos.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: October 30, 2015, 09:27:55 AM »
we're good....like a half hour and cold soup later. :(

LOL.  I know that exact feeling.  Those little touches are why I enjoy your posts so much. :P
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: October 30, 2015, 10:54:53 AM »
I'm starting to get the feeling people really like Dice around here.

This game sure came at a convenient time. After barely playing anything for two whole months, now there are 5 games I want to play all at once...and I have no time to play them, as I will be busy all weekend...I might be able to bring Trails 1 with me on my way to my great uncle's funeral, though.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #558 on: October 30, 2015, 01:06:52 PM »
Honestly, none of this surprises me. Considering just what unholy hell XSeed went through translating the game, it's only fitting if you have to go through unholy hell trying to get it installed. Having it any other way just wouldn't be proper. :P

In other news, I got through the 'prologue' which, much like the first game, is rather darn long for a mere 'prologue'. Anyway, it was a nice start to the game, following up on the cliffhanger that FC ended on, while also giving us a taste of what's to come. If the 'prologue' is any indication, then we aren't in Kansas anymore. Compared to FC, SC's going to be a darker, more intense, and more action-packed experience, though it still retains the same great writing from FC. It's also going to be FREAKING TOUGH at times, as there's an  insane boss battle just before you reach the 4:00 mark, which swallows you up and eats you for breakfast. (At least the new boss theme is kickass though.)

LOL!  This is the worst trial and tribulation to play a game ever then, just because it was hard for them why must it be hard for me?! xD
But bygones!  I got it working and oh my lord how good it felt.  The game is tuned up just a little bit but still feels like the perfect "next step" off the first game.

Haven't hit a boss, I'm in the "updated tutorial dungeon" from FC still. :P
But definitely the music all of a sudden got even better.

Dice, if you think that's hard I just spend the last 2 hours trying to get it to work under Linux through wine and got absolutely nowhere.

OK, I realize that's not exactly a supported method, but I read several claims about FC running "flawlessly" under wine with very little effort.  So I figured if FC worked so well, why not SC...nope, can't even get through the installation.

Fuck.  I'm sorry to complain.  Being honest though Linux and Wine are like the 4th Dimension to me, I can't comprehend them at all (not seeing them run with my human eyes is probably a big part of that).  Can you do anything else or are you sorta stuck to wait?? :O

I'm starting to get the feeling people really like Dice around here.

This game sure came at a convenient time. After barely playing anything for two whole months, now there are 5 games I want to play all at once...and I have no time to play them, as I will be busy all weekend...I might be able to bring Trails 1 with me on my way to my great uncle's funeral, though.

It's because I'm Canadian... We apologize and eat maple syrup and bacon all day.  I'd liket to think I'm not terribly...asshole-y?  I dunno, I appreciate whatever compliments I get, I've been here a while so nice to know I'm not disliked the whole time??? xD;;;

Dude. You realize that it took months just to get the game running with whatever twine, glue and duct tape XSeeD used to get it up on the systems it was built for? Hell, they've just starting to get the flow of trip reports on all the bugs and crashes the QA team missed in. Give it a month or two.

Also I love how the big advancement of Orbment Technology between games is a seventh slot (admittedly, a powerful, versatile and prolific tool's performance being increased by 13 & 1/3% is actually a pretty substantial improvement). At least now Estelle can run two different, yet equal, Quartz combos.

Yeah I loved that bit of plot convenience.

I love Estelle's new outfit though (even though, again, it means she tossed out all the other good shit I got her end of the game in FC :P).

I love Anelace too!  Of all character to get a spotlight, I think it's interesting they sort of plucked out the other girl bracer.  I totally adore this too.  When I hang out with friends I'm always the more weird/wacky one....till we had an even weirder/wackier girl join our group which mellowed me out by comparison.  I feel like that's what Anelace is to Estelle (granted, Estelle's "going through things" so she's not her usual self... I must say I will miss the usual banter between Joshua and Estelle atm).
I AM INVINCIBLE!!!!!
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: October 30, 2015, 01:45:59 PM »
Fuck.  I'm sorry to complain.  Being honest though Linux and Wine are like the 4th Dimension to me, I can't comprehend them at all (not seeing them run with my human eyes is probably a big part of that).  Can you do anything else or are you sorta stuck to wait?? :O

Well, us crazy Linux users are used to things not working.  Still I started having actual expectations since it's an old game, the first one is supposed to run well, and lately I've been having good luck with wine (I play World of Warships through it all the time and that's a much more demanding title).

That said I gave up and installed it on my laptop which is the only computer I have that actually has Windows.  But it's an ultrabook so it's a bit awkward for gaming.  Not that system requirements are an isuue for a game this old but it's a very small computer so you can't really sit back and relax when you play it.  But it's still a laptop, not like you can use it like a handheld either.  Maybe if I got a PS3 contoller working with it I could plug it into the TV...

PS: For some crazy reason I decided to start the game on hard and I'm kind of regretting it.  I haven't gotten stuck or anything but progress is a slog having to constantly run back to the rest points to recover after a few battles.  And I feel like you almost have to get a preemptive attack for every fight because otherwise even the regular enemies can and will wreck you.  Boss battles, on the other hand, have to be played nearly perfectly.  And keep in mind the way leveling works in this game grinding really isn't even an option (at least not a realistic one).

And I'm still in the prologue...

There's another difficulty above hard and that just seems absurd to me now.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 02:19:43 PM by Kevadu »

kkhohoho

• View Profile
« Reply #560 on: October 30, 2015, 04:55:06 PM »
There's another difficulty above hard and that just seems absurd to me now.

In this game, hard actually means HARD, which is actually kind of refreshing considering how a number of more modern game's 'hard' modes are more akin to a normal or even easy mode than anything else. And again, there's that one last boss in the prologue who will wreck you even on normal mode, so... good luck man, because you're gonna' need it. :P
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 05:06:28 PM by kkhohoho »

DPB

• View Profile
« Reply #561 on: October 30, 2015, 07:04:02 PM »
I'd probably restart if I were you Kevadu, I'm in Chapter 1 and I'm finding it way harder than FC, even on normal difficulty. FC was very easy until the final dungeon, and I'm already having more trouble fighting certain monster chests than anything in the original.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: October 31, 2015, 02:26:27 AM »
I'd probably restart if I were you Kevadu, I'm in Chapter 1 and I'm finding it way harder than FC, even on normal difficulty. FC was very easy until the final dungeon, and I'm already having more trouble fighting certain monster chests than anything in the original.

Honestly the big challange in FC, besides the final dungeon, were some of the Quest Monsters.  One I remembered kept summoning more and the level cap meant you couldn't do much but tough it out.

Progress: So far....kinda meh.  lol, I like the prologue in SC less than the one in FC for being an even lamer "tutorial chapter" attempt.  I'm not doubting my mind will change, but it's a bit of a weak start.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: October 31, 2015, 06:14:45 AM »
Well I finally did get it running on Linux so I decided to take the opportunity to restart on normal.  I hadn't yet run into anything I couldn't do on hard but the number of retries, etc. involved was starting to make it a lot less fun.  And better to switch sooner than after investing serious time into hard only to decide later that itwas too much.

Man normal is easier.  Blew through everything I had done on hard and then some in like a couple of hours.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: October 31, 2015, 07:32:32 PM »
Have any of you successfully fished?

What is it about JRPGs and poorly-explained fishing minigames...

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: October 31, 2015, 07:50:43 PM »
irl fishing is a poorly explained fishing minigame which is why most people just do it with guns now
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

DPB

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: October 31, 2015, 09:53:19 PM »
Have any of you successfully fished?

Yes, you have to press the confirm button immediately after an exclamation mark appears. If you're even the tiniest bit late the fish will get away, and the margin of error seems to be even lower if you use rarer bait.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 09:57:38 PM by DPB »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: October 31, 2015, 10:19:15 PM »
Wow, so it's like using the Super Rod in Pokemon Black, where I kinda just gave up trying to figure out the timing and considered every successful catch an act of God?

Note to self: do not fish...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Raze

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 01, 2015, 01:33:51 AM »
Hitting the button with the sound effect seemed a lot more effective to me then trying to time it with the ! and having no idea if I hit the button to early or too late.

Training chapter was kinda lame, because Estelle's not a novice anymore.
Code: [Select]
And sadly I read our invincible friend is just a temp until the third game.
But pleasantly surprised to see I could swap party members once I got 5 people and my group wasn't just at mercy of the story anymore like the first game. Kinda. 3 of the 4 members were mandatory :p

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 01, 2015, 08:01:25 PM »
I'm glad Agate has chilled the fuck down since the first game.  He's actually... not a hardass in every line anymore.  Sure he loses that 'edge' to his personality, but he's a lot easier to like now.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!