Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Annubis on Today at 12:37:22 AM »
Ok, so it's been enough episodes that I can say Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue is good.
First half of the first episode is meh until you get to the second half that makes the whole thing way more interesting.
The format makes it fun.

Meanwhile, 6 episodes in Egao no Daika and I still have no what that thing is supposed to be.
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Aeolus on Yesterday at 01:52:51 PM »
Meanwhile, I have everybody on that list, including a +1 Wyndis, plus a spare, and 3 Dumas (two with fairly optimal IVs), so a Fyrrh would be my best pick due to her suboptimal IVs (+Spd/-Def). Lazura also has suboptimal IVs but nobody cares about her stats.

And yeah, Winter Tharja's one of the 3 Tome armors currently available in the game, and the only Ranged Red Armor to boot, so she would've been a better pick for optimal whale bait, but who cares about that when a 180 BST Dragon Armor Trainee is on the line. Also disappointed that Fall Mia didn't do as well as she could've as she's still the only flying Staffbot to shit over PVE with (but at least she was up against the only Colorless Dragon Armor currently available and he's got AR bullshit behind him). I'm also amused that more people wasted their votes on Pancho Tiki than those who wasted their votes for everyone who fell into the last 94 places combined.

Meanwhile, in Tap Battle, I was amused by Chrom going down like a chump and getting replaced by Marth.

And with this, so ends FEH's 2nd year anniversary special in the only way that it could. Being full of dumb shit.
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on Yesterday at 01:04:15 AM »
I've been listening to RWBY's soundtrack a lot (seriously, it's great stuff, especially the character themes), so I decided to give the series another shot. The first 8 episodes were still extremely rough, and I found myself having to skip around a lot just to make it through it - the animation, direction, and tone were just all over the place! I found myself laughing at it rather than with it more often than not.

However, it did start to shape up after the mid-point of the first season, and now that I've finished episode 16, I think I'm unironically enjoying it now. The characters do seem to have an interesting dynamic, the world is fleshed out enough that I actually feel like things are building towards a major event instead of just making things up by the seat of their pants (with that said, credit to the RvB team for making that style of writing look easy), and some of the jokes can be funny & clever. I really look forward to watching the next season tomorrow.

Animation's still dogshit, though, but understandably so. I spent the first couple of episodes racking my brain trying to figure out what program they're using, since I notice a few quirks that looked familiar. Turns out, if I just finished an episode I'd get the answer in big bold letters, but hey. I've definitely seen other indie animations that were made in Poser to varying degrees of quality, and it reminded me of the scale of their operation. There are much bigger animation teams that have utterly failed to do what they set out to accomplish, even at their relatively short average run times. I mean, just look at some of the CGI anime shorts from the past few seasons if you want examples of how bad it could be.

Move over Miyazaki!

This is fine enough. As long as the writing holds up, I'll have a good time.
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Hathen on February 15, 2019, 02:47:46 PM »
I mean, I don't have Legendary Lyn yet so I won't mind if I pull her for free, but holy shit that's hilarious that people just picked whatever showed up on the default screen. Halloween Myrrh is honestly kind of a terrible choice, Winter Tharja gives basically the same SI as her except better (especially with the 4-skill SI change coming), but at least Myrrh is a stupidly broken unit herself. Basically the only miss I can pull on the free one is LAzura because I already have her, which pretty much guarantees that who I'll get.

Also New Power free pulls gave me nothing, but I finished off the Anniversary Daily Banner with a bang by pulling a free Close Counter- or he would be that if he didn't come as +SPD -RES. Now I feel obligated to keep him around.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Fire Emblem: [s]Tree[/s] Three Houses
« Last post by Aeolus on February 15, 2019, 12:57:39 AM »
So SF has posted their own summary of the trailer. https://serenesforest.net/2019/02/13/three-houses-february-2019-direct-analysis/#more-49377

And they make some interesting observations. Including a few I missed like the stuff exclusive to the JP direct, a few comparisons to what was shown back in 2018, and a few 'blink and you miss them' screenshots. But there's one important plot point they missed out on.

Note the following:

As they mentioned, this looks a lot like part of that Prf chainwhip sword Valentine. What they didn't mention is that this is most likely one of those blameable 'crests'. Specifically,

this one right about here^. Two down, right above the one that's damaged, smack dab in the center of that chart.

This means that we're looking at a Jugdral situation where every house of note is running around with their own fantasy WWII tanks while everyone else is playing cowboys and indians (although maybe not all of the Crests got fashioned into weapons since there'd be 21 of the fuckers otherwise). So yeah, I could see that the Crests really are to blame in this case.

One more thing I should mention is that while the above Crest is likely part of a weapon, I don't necessarily believe it to be part of that chainwhip sword, but of another fantasy nuke instead.
« Last post by Arvis on February 14, 2019, 04:35:17 PM »
^ I don't know which is tighter: Aeolus' summary or Raphael's shirt.
« Last post by Aeolus on February 14, 2019, 10:44:56 AM »
Following up on what Hathen and I posted yesterday.

The Academy looks to be an excuse to bring Villagers back since everyone seems to be starting as a Noble before having to study to become a Brigand or something (interesting that they have both Mercenary and Thief, but no Myrmidon). Additionally, in regards to skills and skill learning, it looks like certain characters still have specific weapon proficiencies (in the Training Grounds segment, Ferdinand had Lv 1 ranks in Swords, Lances and Axes versus Sylvain's Lances and Axes; considering that other interfaces have Weapon Ranks represented by Letter Grade rather than by Numeric, it could mean either a character's given proficiency or it could refer to Arts or Gambits (especially since Bernadetta had some other kind of skill shown on her UI).

If anything, the Skill Level business reminds me more of Suikoden III's and onward Skill Tutoring system (where characters skill levels capped out at different stages due to that particular character's innate proficiency, with heavy duty fighters like Chris being more proficient at learning skills like Heavy Armor proficiency, Heavy Blow, and Mobility enhancements to simulate getting used to and proficient in moving around in heavy armor but could still take up boosts to Accuracy, Attack Speed and core elemental magic (with her highest proficiency in Water at like B or something) even if she had a low cap due to her lack of aptitude, compared to Hugo who was easier to train in lightweight fighting skills and Fire Magic and harder to train in raw combat and Water Magic, and Geddoe who got better at nuking people with Magic, but wasn't a slouch in hand to hand combat, with Lightning Magic and Magic performance enhancing skills being his specialty due to his True Rune shenanigans).

Of course such a system would mean that unfortunately, I can't raise an army of Punch Mans. It also reminds me of Berwick Saga's skill levels over raw stats approach. With promotions and recruitment requiring building skill levels up to certain thresholds (as well as managing a mercenary company, being in a small neutral country caught between a couple warring world powers, and possibly having to manage your mounts separate from the characters that ride them; especially if characters need to be trained in how to use them).

On a separate note, I lol'd at FemByleth having huge knockers by default. I guess if anything came out of FEH, its that players like 'em big. And on a similar note, I really do not like the character designs in this game. Especially if going forward past 3H, everybody's forevermore locked to their boring ass school uniforms because that's what their default character art has them as.

I would also be really pissed if all we got for recruits this time were students. FE at its core is about cobbling together a ragtag band of animes to fight the evil empire/dragons. Fates was really awful about this as well since the few people who weren't Corrin, Corrin's Retainers, Corrin's Siblings/Relatives, or Corrin's Siblings' Retainers were low level grunts in the service of Corrin's Country of Choice or Prepromotes that pretty much beelined to the bench.
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on February 14, 2019, 08:18:02 AM »
I'll probably repeat a lot of what I said in Discord, but whatever.

Well, as someone who never uses discord, I wouldn't mind it since a lot of what you just posted was interesting, and now it won't be lost into the aether...
« Last post by Hathen on February 14, 2019, 03:14:41 AM »
I'll probably repeat a lot of what I said in Discord, but whatever.

The continent actually having a name this time is a good sign for worldbuilding at least.

Aside from that some general thoughts on the story: Some people seem to be reacting negatively to the school life thing, but it seems more military academy than high school bullshittery. I'm sure there will be some cliche high school anime type stuff as side story gags but you should really not be surprised by some animu stuff in FE. Given that it's almost a certainty a war's going to break out at some point, I'm hoping this will be more like if FE4 started its story when Sigurd/Eldigan/Quan were in an academy together rather than starting where it did. If Mila's Turnwheel is going to be a core part of the story somehow I imagine it will be used as a plot device for Byleth to go through all 3 routes so he can understand the perspectives of Edelgard/Dimitri/Claude before getting to do the unified Revelations Happy Tree Friends ending route.

On that note, sort of an interesting reversal that Edelgard's country seems to be the big, strong empire even though she seems to be the main lord if you had to tag one of the three as one (she got to narrate the first trailer after all). Usually it's antagonist factions with the big army (See: Bern, Grado, Begnion, Nohr). Sigurd did come from Grannvale, but he wasn't the Emperor's son or anything, and the conflict there was all over the place.

It might be the vastly different art style, but Dimitri doesn't strike me as a stand-in for typical FE protagonist. I still think Edelgard fills that role more. Dimitri's design makes him look like a stereotypical noble type to me. Given that Edelgard has lost faith in whatever the crests are, I'm guessing Dimitri will take the opposite role.

Still not a fan of self-insert My Units. From a gameplay perspective the My Unit is fun, I just hate what it's done to supports and the writing in general, and it really culminated with Corrin being Lord, MU, and ancient super dragon rolled into one. Though at least they're stepping back from that and those are three (five?) separate characters again. It doesn't look like marriage or children will be in this game (then again, it'd fit just as well as children did in Fates), so fears of Byleth being able to marry his students are probably needless.

More open weapon/skill customization seems like a logical next step for the series, and personally I find this a lot more natural than just shifting into whatever class you want just by using a seal. It simultaneously allows for more flexibility in character growth while actually being more verisimilitudinous than what we had before. Seems cool enough.
« Last post by Aeolus on February 13, 2019, 08:40:35 PM »
Well over half a year later, and one dead msg board later and we finally get some follow up.

First release date is now July 26th.
Second Byleth is yet another Avatar, with both male and female genders available.
Third, you're running a classroom ala Trails of Cold Steel 3.
Fourth, punching is now a weapon type (well gauntlets).
Fifth, there will be supports.
and Sixth, there's likely a Mila's Wheel mechanic in here somewhere (and actually relevant to the plot this time).

Now to go through the video step by step.

First the world map is different/more fleshed out/finalized. Various name changes, geographical detail adjustments and the like.

The main countries are now the 1000 yr old Adrestian Empire, the Kingdom of Faerghus, and the League of ordinary affiliates the Leicester Alliance.

The Avatar works under their dad who leads a company of Mercenaries (gee, where did I hear that one before), but then things go pear-shaped, and the Avatar retreats to Firewarts/Hogemblem known as Garreg Mach Monastery.

While things are going pear-shaped, the Avatar looks to contact a Loli Dragon named Sothis, and it appears that s/he might be gain the ability to rewind time ala Mila's Wheel.

The Monastery is located smack dab in the middle of the continent and houses an organization known as the Church of Seiros and their own military (pretend to be surprised) as well as a military academy.

Named characters thus far:
Edelgard (imperial princess and next in line to the throne)
Claude (most likely to inherit a crumbling alliance before getting chewed on by two dragons)
Dimitri (*insert bland FE protagonist here*)
Sothis (dragon loli)
Jeralt (Avatar's Dad, will likely die in a duel with a masked Knight)
Annette (apparently French)
Sylvain Jose Gautier (aka the Red one)
Raphael (wishes to be Draug, will likely be Arden)
Leonie (the butch female)
Kostas (Ch 1 Bandit, will likely die in Ch 1)
Bernadetta (messy Purple Haired Girl in hoodie, early game Archer says "what?")
Petra (Purple haired girl without a coat and mark under eye, most likely to be the designated female sword fighter)
Dorothea (Brown girl in Hat with Tomes, most likely to be the fanservice one with 7 alts in FEH)
Linhardt (greenish bobcut hair, the Green one)
Ferdinand (Orange Haired Dude with Lance, the most likely to be the reliable one)
Caspar (light blue haired Fight man, most likely to not be very friendly as a ghost)
Ashe (silver haired dude in hoodie, needs food badly)
Blonde haired girl with twin tails.
(Seven characters with Edelgard: Petra, Dark Haired Dude, Linhardt, Bernadetta, Dorothea, Caspar, and Ferdinand)

Bernadetta is Lv 2 and 25 HP and three green triangles, class Noble, armed with an Iron Bow (15 Atk, 108 Hit, 6 Crit, AS 3, Def 5, Rsl 2, Avoid 9, Range 2, 50 uses and is Flier effective) and Light Bow 50 uses and no flier effectiveness) Has 10 Mt, 100 Hit and 2 Crit againt Axe Thief with no Combat Arts, Has 11 Mt, 100 Hit and 2 Crit with Curved Shot. She also has Lance and Flame Skill?

Petra (with Iron Sword has 8 Mt, 100 Hit and 100 Crit against a Thief with Iron Sword who in turn has 8 Mt and 86 Hit against her) and ranks in Flag. Defeating her foe gives her Exp for Level, Professor Level, Class Level and Battalion Level (for defeating this one bandit she gains 110 - 62 Swords 80-77 Flags 40-38 Class Lv 40-39 Battalion Lv 100-65) She is also Lv 2 with 25 HP.

Linhardt is a noble with 26 HP and an E+ in Reason and a D in Faith. Faith Spell 1 is Heal which restores 11 HP to Byelth. He is Lv 6

Battle options at the start of the game include Atk, Arts, Gambit, Items, Trade, Wait.

Teaching consists of Tutoring, Auto-Tutor, Group Task and Set Goals before starting class. You have 3 books represented by a green bar (ala Dragon Veins from Fates), Tutor costs 1 and trains someone to improve their skills (for one of their 4 effort segments) and Auto Tutor costs 3.

Tutoring has levels and stats and growth rates. Dorothea has E+ in Swords with a Blue Arrow and a finger pointing up and a D in Reason also with a Blue Arrow. Tomes have a red arrow poniting down, Swords Axes and Flag have Fingers pointing up. Skills at level E require 40 Exp to level up to E+ which costs 60, D costs 80, Tomes has 3 empty stars. Growth goals are set to Sword and Reason. For one session she gains +6 Exp in reason (+4 for the lessson and an +2 for it being her strenght (i.e. Blue arrows)) which multiplies by 1.5 times for 9 Exp and some Support gain.

Linhardt is strong in Faith and Reason and for his Goal List he has Reason and Faith focus and Custom Focus which is set to boost Faith twice.

Fist is Fighting
Flag is Authority
Two Tomes is Reason (i.e. Tome Magic)
White Tome is Faith (i.e. formerly Staves)
And Hvy Armor, Riding and Flying are also lessons apparently.

Training facility has Sylvain using a Training Lance with Lv 1 Skill (with Lv 1 Axe on the side) at Lv 4 with 29 HP 5 Mt and 73 Hit against Ferdinand who is Lv 5 with 30 HP a training Lv 1 Lance (with level 1 axe and sword on the side), 8 mt 100 Hit in a round 2 training match costing 50g and rewarding 300g and an Intermediate Seal (which apparently is needed to promote out of base Noble class).

Caspar is the light blueish haired fisticuffs dude. He uses Iron Gauntlets which hit x2 for 7 mt, 100 hit and 11 crit and has 28 HP against a Western Church Solider who has 29 HP, 9 mt, 79 hit and 0 crit with a Fire tome (indicated as a Dark tome).

Edelgard changes class with a Intermediate Seal, and can turn into a Mercenary, Thief, Knight, Cavalier, Brigand, Archer, Mage Priest. She can change to Brigand with 100% pass rate and requires Axes at C or higher.

Byleth, the one Edelgard ally not named, Ferdinand and Edelgard in different outfits are performing a Gambit boost. Edelgard has 33 HP and with Assault Troop + Coordinated Gambit Skill has 14 Mt, 100 Hit, 11 Crit against a fisticuffs dragon called Black Beast armed with 'Crest Stone of Gannier' 45 HP and cant counter.

Sizzle reel: Royal brats, Dragon girl, Hand holding and crushing something, Guy with bleached head looks Validar/Gharnef villian, orange haired person with red eyes staring intently, more villain, masked mage with fireball, Blonde lady in white with red sword/light saber, glowy ball with fancy markings all covered in black, green haired lady staring smuggly, evil dragon, Byleth attacked by dragon while he holds Prf sword.

Let me know if I missed anything.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10